BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Nomad app
bajaamy

[*] posted on 2-26-2013 at 08:14 PM
Baja Nomad app

You know what I'd love to see? A Baja Nomad app for android phones. Would be fun to read on the go.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2013 at 08:26 PM

There is one for the iPhone.

Just kidding.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2013 at 08:32 PM

I am on my phone (android) now... what would be different with an app?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaamy

[*] posted on 2-26-2013 at 08:38 PM

My phone is small enough that apps that reduce regular websites to a simpler "phone version" are helpful.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2013 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaamy
My phone is small enough that apps that reduce regular websites to a simpler "phone version" are helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain more? Are you talking about native phone app versus just visited the nomad forums via your phone's browser?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-27-2013 at 08:32 AM

Apps are designed for smaller screens and simplify/streamline the display, and the site is presented in a view separately from a traditional web browser. One advantage is no ads are displayed. All content is from your business.

Basically you can see the Information in a smaller area, and have more control over content and appearance.

I recently started using a mini Ipad and as I browse online I see more and more websites now offer an app option.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2013 at 09:36 AM

There are "forum" apps in the iphone App Store that automatically do this. However it requires that the nomad forum be built on certain forum server software. I don't know what software the nomad forums currently use and it would need to be investigated if they are compatible. I looked into this over a year ago regarding another forum I belong to and I don't remember the app name. If I remember I will post here. But I sense a lot of work on someone's part :)

I guess a big question is it worth it? How many people read the nomad forums via smartphone vs. computer? I for one use both and would appreciate a native smartphone app also.

I just remembered the forum iphone app for any body that what's to check it out. I don't think it supports the nomad forum software. :(

Forum Runner - vBulletin, phpBB, XenForo, and myBB Forum Reader by End of Time Studios, LLC
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forum-runner-vbulletin-phpbb...
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-27-2013 at 10:12 AM

thanks for the helpful Information.

somewhat related: is there decent cell service in Baja, around GN area? I use T-Mobile, and I'm wondering if anyone else has used phones w/their service while travelling in Baja Norte/Sur.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-27-2013 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
There are "forum" apps in the iphone App Store that automatically do this. However it requires that the nomad forum be built on certain forum server software.

A) Forum Runner and Tapatalk both have security issues that can be a concern for forum administrators.

B) Neither supports the XMB forum software that's used here.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.