Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Final countdown begins to 37th Tecate SCORE Baja 1000
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

biggrin.gif posted on 11-9-2004 at 04:56 AM
time and money are hugely related

they can always come together if you apply some conservative management techniques: Let them date, they WILL mate...and soon propagate!!
they do not haave to be mutually exclusive...
1. when loaded with extra time - use it to plan how to make more money.
2. when flush with extra $$$s - spend some to create more time for yourself.:bounce:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 10:39 AM

Last in 5 in 77. Out of racing in from early 80s to mid 90's and last 2/1600 in 2002 Score series.

I like your thinking Mike.....I too a year off to travel the world and was even more busy than when I was working...

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

sad.gif posted on 11-9-2004 at 10:55 AM
i know what you mean...

i went to Munich the summer out of high school alone and worked at a hotel getting ready for the olympics. came home after 3 months 'cause i was supposed to go to college, but was pretty fluent after that plus 2 years in school language. Big mistake!! i should have stayed a year plus!! got better education than the 1st stupid school i wasted a year at! I'd be in the foreign service or something..... experiences RULE!!!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 04:24 PM

Sure glad I read the first post in this thread, some of us here in San Felipe thought the race started Friday.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 07:29 PM

Rule of thumb to remember is the 1000 to La Paz (full 1000 miles) always start on Thursday with usually a 40 hour time limit. Awards are on Saturday. The loop 1000 race (Ensenada to Ensenada) (around 700 miles) starts on Friday with a 28-30 hour time limit and awards on Sunday. Doesn't mean they won't change in the future however.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 07:44 PM

Do you think any will be disqualified for their heilicopter operations??

October 26, 2004

ATTENTION: Trophy Truck, Class 1, Class 10 and ProTruck Competitors,

Please make yourself familiar with G28 on pages 13 and 14 in the SCORE International Official 2003-2006 Off-Road Racing Rules and Regulations book.

It will be your responsibility to adhere to the letter of these rules.

Unfortunately in the past, these rules have been flagrantly abused; especially ?all rotary aircraft must maintain a minimum altitude of 500? AGL and 500? of the edgeline of the race course when traveling near pit and/or spectator areas. All rotary aircraft below 1200? AGL must travel with the race course located on the left side of the aircraft, i.e. traveling with race traffic, aircraft will be on the racer?s RIGHT side. All rotary aircraft cannot land within 1/4 mile of the race course in any area?. (Page 14, 2nd paragraph, Official Rule and Regulations)

SCORE will have two (2) event helicopters in the air. If you are observed violating any of the official rules and regulations your entry will be disqualified.

Please conduct yourselves in a safe and proper manner.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Sal Fish, CEO

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 08:24 AM

Probably not. Most if not all the helos are used by the top teams like Hersbt. And they use them in all the races so I think they know what they can get away with. I can't recall there ever being anyone disqualified. I do remember a few years ago a case were I think it was Walker Evans taking a part to a Herbst truck in a Nevada race (not allowed) but I don't remember the out come and I may have the names etc wrong.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 11-10-2004 at 01:15 PM
ha !!!! this memo by Sal is laughable

none of these rules were followed from what i observed pitting with DP Racing at RM 205 last years 1000. I'll see what they do this year.....2 weeks, i can hardly stand it!:coolup:

tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 10:43 PM

I would like to see the enforced, but it would be a first. I have literally been blasted by blade wash in my race vehicle from a heli landing to pit (another major no no) TT. The best is story of all was back in the 2K race. It was about 5 in the morning and while we were waiting for our car to come to do a driver switch we heard a heli crank up (pre dawn) within a 100 feet of course and about 30 ft from us. Just as the left ground the pilot lost vision from the dirt wash and in a panic tried to set it down.....crashed on the main rotar and tore it appart with pieces flying everywhere....gets better....the pilot and 2 of the passengers took off. I jumped out of my truck to see a smoking carcus of a heli with a screaming voice coming from inside. Without thinking (do not think if I would have been thinking I would of taken the same actions...you just never know) I ran with a knife to the smoking crushed mess and ultimately cut a camera crew person from the was wedged and stuck in the wreck. I still have a couple of parts of the craft hanging in my garage. Never learned the final of what happened. Within 10 minutes the place had a # of police like officials wanting to know whos it was, where the pilot, etc....at one point those that saw me from a distance getting the camera person out suggested it might be mine....thanks to a very clear wife...that did not go far...The camera guy was taken away in an ambulance.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 10:51 PM

I am guessing that was near El Arco...?

A photo was posted on Amigos de Baja (where most of us hung out) of the crashed helicopter during the Baja 2000.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 09:19 PM

Correct David. Did you ever hear if the caught the pilot? I know for a couple of hours that we were still in the area I would have liked to of caught him....to this day I can not believe they ran and left a person behind.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2004 at 01:24 AM

No I did not know the nitty-gritty details of what happened. I think I recall the story as they were blinded by so much dust, didn't know exactly where 'up' was. I do not recall ever hearing it happened in the dark of pre-dawn morning... Thank you.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.