Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Banned from America: U.S. veterans deported to Mexico
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:27 AM
Banned from America: U.S. veterans deported to Mexico

“ROSARITO BEACH, BAJA MEXICO (CBS 8) -- They served honorably in the U.S. Armed Forces, but now, they're banned from the United States after being deported.

One former U.S. Army paratrooper in Rosarito Beach, Mexico is working to help banished veterans get back into the USA.

Hector Barajas, 36, served six years in the military jumping out of airplanes.
"I got about 27 jumps," said Barajas from his home south of the border.

"I had two Army commendation medals, a national defense ribbon, and a humanitarian award," he said.

Barajas is not a U.S. citizen. Born in Mexico, Barajas came to the U.S. as a child and soon became a permanent, green-card-carrying resident.

At age 18, Barajas enlisted in the Army with the promise of one day becoming a U.S. citizen.”

Much more to this article including video at:

http://www.cbs8.com/story/22092596/banned-from-america
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:39 AM
...and the rest of the story

for those that don't click on the link this was the rational for the deportation:
... shortly after Barajas received an honorable discharge from the Army, he pled guilty to a felony in Los Angeles: firing a gun into a vehicle.

Nobody was hurt but Barajas was sentenced to two years in prison. Once he was released, he was deported to Mexico.

"Yes, I am a convicted felon. But not a criminal," said Barajas. "I paid my debt to society back in 2001 to 2003. That was a long time ago."

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:44 AM

"But shortly after Barajas received an honorable discharge from the Army, he pled guilty to a felony in Los Angeles: firing a gun into a vehicle.

Nobody was hurt but Barajas was sentenced to two years in prison. Once he was released, he was deported to Mexico."
==========================================

Should be OK since nobody was hurt. Should be able to drive around town and shoot the sheit out of everything that moves, as long as no one gets hurt.

Yeah...hell yes. He was just havin fun.
Didja read the part about his medals? Wadda guy.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
for those that don't click on the link this was the rational for the deportation:
... shortly after Barajas received an honorable discharge from the Army, he pled guilty to a felony in Los Angeles: firing a gun into a vehicle.

Nobody was hurt but Barajas was sentenced to two years in prison. Once he was released, he was deported to Mexico.

"Yes, I am a convicted felon. But not a criminal," said Barajas. "I paid my debt to society back in 2001 to 2003. That was a long time ago."

That is why I referred to the link Bob. So you could have this information. The thing that got to me was the fact that if I, a U.S. born Veteran were to have a felony conviction (as many do) I would not be deported, I would be incarcerated in one of the privatized lock-up's here in the U.S.

If you continued reading you would have found:

“This deported Mexican has done more for this country than nearly all who spew ignorance, hate and racism on this board. He fought for your right to be ignorant, hateful and racist. This is why if you put on the uniform, you should automatically become a citizen....” A reader comment.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:47 AM

Didn't we recently have a thread on this issue?
Maybe I'm just dreaming...or something.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Didn't we recently have a thread on this issue?
Maybe I'm just dreaming...or something.

If you can come up with it Dennis perhaps we can merge this into it.

An interesting aside. A friend of mine who was the brother of the Mayor of TJ and the Director of Tourism for TJ in his own right, told me he went to cross the border once during the Korean War and was stopped by U.S. and told he was a draft dodger, that he had to remain in Mexico or go into the U.S. Army.

To get whatever was the equivalence of a 'green card' at that time you had to sign up for the U.S. draft to legally cross into the U.S. and he had done so, been called up but was not notified of that and consequently the border bust.

He went into the U.S. Army and served Honorably on the ground in Korea and was not given U.S. citizenship. He said he never did serve in his country's military.

We will obtain our cannon fodder wherever we can I guess...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 01:55 PM

A great philosopher, Mohammed Ali, upon being forced into the US military said Vietnam was "White men sending black men and brown men to kill yellow men"...Just sayin

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
A great philosopher, Mohammed Ali, upon being forced into the US military said Vietnam was "White men sending black men and brown men to kill yellow men"...Just sayin

Instead, he just hoard himself to the Don King money machine and got his brains beat soft for his strong moral decision.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 02:42 PM
Citizenship

I have always thought Citizenship should be automatic If a forigner is willing to put his a---- on the line for our country.
When i was in after korea I had a friend from Ireland I was in with after we got out his citizenship was not automatic, but he had a green card and citizenship was a heck of a lot Easier.,

[Edited on 4-27-2013 by J.P.]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I have always thought Citizenship should be automatic If a forigner is willing to put his a---- on the line for our country.
When i was in after korea I had a friend from Ireland I was in with after we got his citizenship was not automatic, but he had a green card and citizenship was a heck of a lot Easier.,

I joined in '62 and I could swear it was automatic then....or maybe it had to be a specific request....not sure.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 02:50 PM

Info on naturalization:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL31884.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f...

[Edited on 4-27-2013 by DENNIS]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-27-2013 at 03:00 PM

Dennis he did that after he got out of the army...What caused your brain to go soft? He at least got paid for it...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.