Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Satellite radio in a solar powered casa
walters886
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 05:31 PM

Ahem... Can't help with your home theater set up but I'll put in a positive testimonial for the SiriusXM SXABB1 boom box. It's a solid piece of electronics and offers a great compromise between cost, performance and overall quality. If you're expecting this little 30 watt amplifier to transport you back to the 70's to play window rattling Led Zep's “Stairway…” this is NOT the machine for you. Put down your play-along Les Paul gold top with the dual humbuckers and unplug your Marshall half stack. Full tilt boogie is not the SXABB1’s strong suit and metal heads should steer clear. However, if you’re listening sound levels are along the intensity spectrum of 40’s Big Band, Brubeck's "Time Out", Joni Mitchell and Steely Dan, the SXABB1 is a great choice.

I originally bought the mini boom box for the fetching Mrs. Nina who listens to sat radio all the time. There was no point leaving the sat receiver in the car so the portable docking station seemed like a good solution. Unplug the receiver from the car, plug it into the docking station and voila! You have home sat radio or rather anywhere sat radio as long as there’s a signal.

For us, sat radio is a must have for those long Baja road trips. When we arrive in Mulege for vacation, the docking station is the first thing that gets plugged into the travel trailer. Its portability, remote control operation, aux input and ear phone output have proven to be very handy features. For example, tomorrow I’m heading out of Monetrey, CA to do some salmon fishing and the first thing in my gig bag is the docking station. Yep, runs on batteries, too.

You may want to check out the Amazon user reviews for additional performance specifications and opinions. You’ll find some very positive reviews as well as user surprises such as no EQ or tone controls. Ok, since you asked: Better than Bose? Er, no, but still a very good mini boom box.

Lastly, I flinched when I saw the cost of the little docking station priced north of $120. Shop around, I’m sure you can do better. One more thing some else has mentioned. A solar charger with 8 C-size batteries is great for boon docking.

Here's the link to Amazon reviewers.

http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXABB1-Portable-Speaker-Dock/...
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 06:08 PM

RMS is a useful "tool" at times ..... just saying

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by walters886
Ahem... Can't help with your home theater set up but I'll put in a positive testimonial for the SiriusXM SXABB1 boom box. It's a solid piece of electronics and offers a great compromise between cost, performance and overall quality. If you're expecting this little 30 watt amplifier to transport you back to the 70's to play window rattling Led Zep's “Stairway…” this is NOT the machine for you. Put down your play-along Les Paul gold top with the dual humbuckers and unplug your Marshall half stack. Full tilt boogie is not the SXABB1’s strong suit and metal heads should steer clear. However, if you’re listening sound levels are along the intensity spectrum of 40’s Big Band, Brubeck's "Time Out", Joni Mitchell and Steely Dan, the SXABB1 is a great choice.

I originally bought the mini boom box for the fetching Mrs. Nina who listens to sat radio all the time. There was no point leaving the sat receiver in the car so the portable docking station seemed like a good solution. Unplug the receiver from the car, plug it into the docking station and voila! You have home sat radio or rather anywhere sat radio as long as there’s a signal.

For us, sat radio is a must have for those long Baja road trips. When we arrive in Mulege for vacation, the docking station is the first thing that gets plugged into the travel trailer. Its portability, remote control operation, aux input and ear phone output have proven to be very handy features. For example, tomorrow I’m heading out of Monetrey, CA to do some salmon fishing and the first thing in my gig bag is the docking station. Yep, runs on batteries, too.

You may want to check out the Amazon user reviews for additional performance specifications and opinions. You’ll find some very positive reviews as well as user surprises such as no EQ or tone controls. Ok, since you asked: Better than Bose? Er, no, but still a very good mini boom box.

Lastly, I flinched when I saw the cost of the little docking station priced north of $120. Shop around, I’m sure you can do better. One more thing some else has mentioned. A solar charger with 8 C-size batteries is great for boon docking.

Here's the link to Amazon reviewers.

http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXABB1-Portable-Speaker-Dock/...

I agree...we love our boom box here in the States. Also use a docking station at our casita with a small Sony sound system.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 07:20 PM

We have used XM in our car when traveling and in the house in a docking station while we are there for years. Just renewed for another two years and the price has jumped again (of course).
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 09:57 AM
Follow up: Home theater receiver power for off-grid living

It's been a while since I posted my question, but here's what I discovered:
We got the Yamaha RX-V575

7.2 channel A-V receiver with lots of features (many we can't use with satellite internet/bandwidth restrictions). The only info that could be found regarding it's "power" said 270watts. We unwrapped it and hooked it up to the Kill-o-watt meter and it uses a whooping 29 watts/hr of power. Sheeze, lots of fretting about adding to the solar system for nothing! Got some Polk audio surround speakers to go with the receiver.

We also got the speakers suggested by Monoloco- Audioengine5's and have those hooked up to the XM radio and can plug in an Ipod so the receiver doesn't have to be on to listen to satellite radio or ipod. Great speakers, thanks Monoloco. Bookshelf style, but way better than any bookshelf speakers I've ever heard. We haven't tested the Audioengines with the Kill-o-watt but Monoloco posted earlier that his speakers registered only 12 watts.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 10:08 AM

good job closing the thread for future searches on the topic!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 10:42 AM
12 to 110 to 18

I write this as I listen my Pioneer SX 1250 (Ya baby)and London Audio Towers (Audiophile candy) and speakers in any system are not to be cheaped about !! but if off the grid (solar) it would be easy to get a good car stereo and stay with 12 volts (13.8) system...when your on solar AND CONVERT IT TO 110 with a inverter and plug in a home receiver that reconverts its back to DC your wasting a lot of pwr...RMS is what we have been using forever and still applies...dc to ac & back to dc ??? ........ PS..car satellite radio with AM/FM have been around for a while and work Great. no need for "docking" and a lot of other junk to break !! "Bing a bang a Boom and your done !!!! Less bucks and better system all around !!! Try It...Your like it !!!

[Edited on 12-1-2013 by captkw]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I write this as I listen my Pioneer SX 1250 (Ya baby)and London Audio Towers (Audiophile candy) and speakers in any system are not to be cheaped about !! but if off the grid (solar) it would be easy to get a good car stereo and stay with 12 volts (13.8) system...when your on solar AND CONVERT IT TO 110 with a inverter and plug in a home receiver that reconverts its back to DC your wasting a lot of pwr...RMS is what we have been using forever and still applies...dc to ac & back to dc ??? ........ PS..car satellite radio with AM/FM have been around for a while and work Great. no need for "docking" and a lot of other junk to break !! "Bing a bang a Boom and your done !!!! Less bucks and better system all around !!! Try It...Your like it !!!

[Edited on 12-1-2013 by captkw]
Most whole house solar systems are either 24 or 48 volts. 12 volts makes no sense on a larger system.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:33 AM
been there,,done that !!

A Good car stereo with a step down transformer is really a good way to go and is not much money...plus you have a CD player & FM/AM Plus satellite radio all in one package !!!!! To Me..........Is a no brainer !!...But ,,that's my take on it !!! converting solar DC to AC ad then its coverted in the home unit to DC again is.............??? And a car unit is small and little watts consumption !!!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:53 AM
And

With a little forethought..you could order two More of the units "cage"/receivers things the radio slids in to and install in your boat and RV....!! Now,,Thats a winner!!,,:tumble:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:56 AM
And

With a little forethought..you could order two More of the units "cage"/receivers things the radio slids in to and install in your boat and RV....!! Now,,Thats a winner!!,,:tumble:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 11:58 AM
And

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
A Good car stereo with a step down transformer is really a good way to go and is not much money...plus you have a CD player & FM/AM Plus satellite radio all in one package !!!!! To Me..........Is a no brainer !!...But ,,that's my take on it !!! converting solar DC to AC ad then its coverted in the home unit to DC again is.............??? And a car unit is small and little watts consumption !!!

What kind of transformer do you use to step down DC???
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.