BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diablo from the East year 2000.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:29 AM
Diablo from the East year 2000.

Saw the latest report an jogged my memory and decided to post my climb report.
I am now a retired climber/mountaineer, but back in the day I did a solo to the north summit.
Here is my report from my March 2000 climb
http://climber.org/reports/2000/651.html
I have not been to the start of the climb in a couple of years, but before have regularly done the two obstacles just for fun with no pack. My, it has changed over time with all the regular flooding. Update notes follow:
• The Rancher will charge you to drive to the TH if he or his kids see you drive up past the rancho.
• The hike to the first obstacle is good. Walking on the cobbles is an issue for the inexperienced. To get to the first pool & obstacle I had to get my feet wet.
• The pool was filled with sand and rocks so diving from the top was not possible.
• The 1st obstacle (waterfall #1) is the pendulum to get above the pool. Climber with a heavy pack will need a harness and a runner. The fixed cable is pretty sturdy.
• The 2nd obstacle (waterfall #2) has changed from a ladder to the remnants of the steel cable with some clamps to hold on to. It’s on the right. Doable, but dicey with wet feet. Sometime after 2000 a steel cable wood step ladder replaced the crack on the left and the friction climb on the right like I had to deal with on 2000.
Regards, PaulW SF resident in winter
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 07:36 PM

Pics from Jan 2005. The road is unchanged as viewed from Morelia Jct.
The pics are just the highlights from the hike to the first major waterfall.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 08:02 PM
Oct 2005 Family trip

Action at the two hard places.
The first one is a pendulum from a steel cable. When one falls like my daughter then big splash. Easy to loose your grip if you delay running across to the marginal landing.
In year 2000 the water was about 10' deep In 2005 it was about 5' after that the flood was just enough to fill the thing with sand and a depth of 1-2' has been typical. One year one could just walk up where the water is shown flowing.
The 2nd climb is shown with steel cables and wood rungs. Now days the wood is gone and one has to grip the cable and climb up.

[Edited on 11-17-2020 by PaulW]
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 08:23 PM

You da man, much respect!! Beautiful pics, beautiful creek with those slabs of rock. Thanks!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-29-2013 at 10:30 PM

Wonderful... You share the adventures and explorations that make Baja so special to many of us!

Thank you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.