Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mango Jam?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-15-2013 at 11:53 AM
Mango Jam?

Anyone have a recipe for Mango jam that isnt all sugar? I have lots of big mangos , am making Chutneys, and would like to do some jam as well

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2013 at 12:07 PM

I have never found that you need sugar if the mangos are fresh....leave it out.

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 7-15-2013 at 03:58 PM

I would cook it with an apple, the pectin from the apple should help it gel...

I hear the whales song
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2013 at 08:38 PM
mmmmangoooozzzz

All-time fav-o-ramadamaringmybell-rite fruit ever!

I've never made jam, but found this blog-site with omgosh killer mango recipes,
not just mango jam, but cake and creamy beverage and salsa and... oh my.

Here's the link to the simple recipe from this fellow mango freak and food blogger: http://www.jeyashriskitchen.com/2013/05/mango-jam-mango-jam-...

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-15-2013 at 09:00 PM

Jam is super easy to make, however I don't have a recipe for mango jam either, but when we were in Loreto a few months ago I bought a jar of mango jalapeno sauce, it was to die for! Not as thick as a chutney, but more saucy! I highly recommend it!

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-15-2013 at 10:26 PM

You can actually just chop up some mangoes, put them in a frying pan. let them cook until they have a thick consistency, throw in whatever spice you like and then cool in the frig and use as a spread. I have done that with strawberries no sugar added and a heck of alot cheaper than Smuckers no added sugar jam.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 01:22 AM

lots of good suggestions! I made a small batch of Chutney yesterday....keep em coming..I will likley try most of them...thanks

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 06:14 AM

Ok, Chuckie-boy,

Step back from the stove... slowly-- or don't-- I love this!

I'll bring the homemade bread.
You bring the toppings.
We'll drink coffee and look at your Mexican art books and eat!
How 'bout tomorrow morning?
Check the weather report for the fishing report an' lemme kno.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 07:33 AM

I have made this and love it!!!
http://www.cowlickcottagefarm.com/mango-jalapeno-jam/

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 08:59 AM

Some of these great recipes call for pectin...where would one find that in Mulege, or should I forget it?

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Some of these great recipes call for pectin...where would one find that in Mulege, or should I forget it?

"pectina" might be had at Saul's, dunno.

I like the bajagrouper's cook 'em with apples idea for a natural source of pectin and complimentary flavor.

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2013 at 11:28 AM

Mmmm...great discussion and links! Here's a link to instructions on how to make. jam without pectin

How to make jam without pectin

There's a recommendation for apricot jam with lime, ginger and tequila...could substitute mangos!

Where'd I store those jam jars?

Happy jammin' mon,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 05:27 AM

OK....have made various jams & chutneys suggested..thanks all... venturing off into experimenting now..substitute brown sugar for white, add pureed jalapenos, add tequila...all variations are good.....Done jammin for a bit..freezing mangos now,,best way is to peel em slice em, freeze the slices on a flat pan and then bag em..my mangos are ripening at the rate of 6-8 per day so its not overwhelming....

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 01:02 AM

Chuckie could we have one of your recipes for Mango Chutney?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 05:41 AM

Why sure..here ya go: 5-7 mangoes-peeled, sliced-chopped or mashed.
2 cups sugar more or less ) I use 1 cup white, 1 cup brown, 1 cup Vinegar..1 medium onion, 1/2 cup raisins, ginger to taste, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes.....combine vinegar and sugars, heat to low boil...add all other stuff....cook for about 45 minutes or until your thickness is reached...seal per normal canning instructions.

Note: There should be no exact recipe for chutney, it lends itself to experimentation...add chopped apples,substitute green tomatoes or peaches for mangoes..The basic recipe above pretty much follows Major Grays, and my Grandmothers.....REMEMBER it was created to take the bite out of ferocious Indian dishes, to preserve the delicate British palate..enjoy

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 09:40 AM

Chuckie, fantastic recipe.

Before reading your recipe above, I hated even the thought of making a chutney out of mango. It has been one of the reasons I have railed against Bobby Flay and his many other fake Mexican recipes. I guess the thing that gets me all upside down is that, generally and with few exceptions, I think fruit and things sugary and meat do not belong together and it seems like many people and cooks (if not most people and most cooks) seem to slather chutney on meat, pineapple and sugar glazes on pork and ham. Never made sense to me, but I am admittedly in the minority on this.

The chili flakes sold me.

Suggestion: If you have an over abundance of mangoes to deal with, filet the meat from the mango and freeze it in an air tight ziplock freezer bag. Will last for years. You can give bags of it away if you run out of freezer space. Then you will have plenty of "fresh" mango to make smoothies, mango margaritas, jams, chutneys throughout the rest of the year any time you want. Looks good in the freezer, too...Bright crystalline orange red color will "pop" at you with color and fond memories every time you open the freezer.

[Edited on 8-10-2013 by MitchMan]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 10:13 AM

I have about 30 bags in the freezer, and am consuming mango daquiris at a frightening rate..thanks FYI: The chutney when "slathered" on cream cheese makes a nice yummer...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.