BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Insurance on rental car?
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 11:11 AM
Insurance on rental car?

I know I should know the answer to this, but sometimes I just don't pay attention. If we rent a car in La Paz do we need (want) to buy insurance or does it come with the rental? I think I just figured it out. If we had to buy Mexican insurance on our own car because our US ins. didn't work south of the border, I guess we will have to buy it for a rental. Correct?:biggrin:

Live, love and be happy.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 11:50 AM

Si.!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 12:40 PM

I would say check the rental policy. Some (although I'm not sure which companies) may come with basic coverage and you'll only need additional insurance to protect your things. I remember reading in a travel magazine that making sure you're not paying twice for insurance that is included is one of the easiest ways to save money. I always check now.

While I think it's always better to be on the safe side, I for one can think of better ways to spend the extra money.
expat2B
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 02:14 PM

The small Nissan sedan we rented from Thrifty at the La Paz airport included basic liability coverage, not unlike the default coverage you'd get in a State-sde rental. Before we left for our trip, I double-checked with AAA who advised us that insurance through a separate carrier wasn't necessary for a Mexico-based rental car.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 02:48 PM

It is imperative that you buy the loss waiver coverage. None of your US coverage is valid in Mexico making you personally liable for the damage occurring to the vehicle.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.