Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mmm, fungus pizza
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 01:19 PM
mmm, fungus pizza

alright I haven't tried it, and probably wont :rolleyes: but here's the story. (the pizza place is nube58 next to the la mision restaurant). anyone tried it?

Origins
Huitlacoche dates back to the Aztecs who enjoyed the naturally-occuring corn fungus as part of their diet. They would use the corn and the attached fungus in tamales and stews.
Huitlacoche Today
Mexicans view the fungus as a delicacy and enjoy it prepared in various dishes, or as a filling for tacos or tamales. It also has one of the highest protein contents of all the mushroom family.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 02:59 PM
Huitlacoche (corn fungus)

I enjoy Huitlacoche when prepared well. Odd color, purplish, but delicious in the hands of a good chef.

In San Diego I've had it at El Agave Restaurant and Tequilaria, just south of Old Town on San Diego Ave. I think it was served as an appetizer.

Haven't been for years, but in the past they also have wonderful mole served over venado (venison) tamales wrapped in banana leaves, pumpkin soup and cheese stuffed/breaded flor de Calabasas (squash blossom) with occasional fried grasshoppers thrown in for variety.

These are all traditional central Mexico dishes that are not part of typical Northern MX/Baja cuisine. Definitely worth trying.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 05:04 PM

I had the Cuitlacoche Crepes at Hacienda de los Morales in Mexico City a few years back and they were one of the best dishes I have ever eaten in Mexico...

Plus, the Hacienda is absolutely memorable, just gorgeous.

I believe that explosion of flavor is called "umami".....by the Japanese, known to be caused by amino acids found in mushrooms and other delicious foodstuffs.

The idea of a cuitlacoche pizza is making me swoon!

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 05:27 PM

...........................................YUCK.............................................

............................................WHY...................................................
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 05:28 PM

I have enjoyed huitlacoches on many occasions:

The first time was at one of the Tequila Expos..was fixed sort of like a tostada and topped off with Mexican crema.
The second time was in La Paz, and I don't remember the name of the restaurant...it was downtown somewhere and near the malecon...a few blocks south of there. The restaurant came well recommended when we stayed at Casa Tuscany B&B.
The third time, and by far the best was at Mission 29 restaurant in TJ.
David, from Muelle Tres recommended it to us.

Yes, it looks ugly, but so does chili as well as truffles.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 05:48 PM
Costco

Costco in Ensenada carries it.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Costco sells fungus? How nice.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 06:40 PM

Dennis....you must dislike mushrooms as well??

"A cada uno lo suyo"

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 08:14 PM

The canned stuff tastes ok but is even more visually unappealing than the fresh. I cannot resist buying those smut covered stubby ears of corn when I see them 'tween the snowpeas and 8-ball zuchinni at Super Ley.

It is a unique and flavorful ingredient.

I'll find ways to serve it that don't mask the flavor but do mask the appearance.
Hmmm, I do the same with ground beef.:)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana

I believe that explosion of flavor is called "umami".....by the Japanese, known to be caused by amino acids found in mushrooms and other delicious foodstuffs.

We just call it "yummy" over here.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
Dennis....you must dislike mushrooms as well??

Cooked....yes, but not when they're called fungus. Fungus is what happens under old toenails. :barf:
zoesterone
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 09:32 AM

Quote:

LOL. Except for the day I drove down from Rosarito to buy it. It was coming in the next day..so there went my plans for huitlecoche risotto.

Dogs are not our whole life, but make our lives whole.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 11:00 AM

my grandfather was a farmer from minnesota many moons ago and as a child I remember seeing ruined ears of corn, with what they called corn smut.
I just now made the connection, he would roll over if he knew that this was todays cash crop!:wow:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zoesterone
Quote:

LOL. Except for the day I drove down from Rosarito to buy it. It was coming in the next day..so there went my plans for huitlecoche risotto.

You should live closer to Ensenada.........or have friends buy it for you :lol:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 12:43 PM

Living and learning .... I had never heard of this before.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.