Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Picture posting ?
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 08:10 AM
Picture posting ?

Is the picture upload limit still 50K?

After playing games with a few of the file reduction schemes, I've concluded that one must have a bit of idle time on their hands to want to spend their time in this rather unproductive way. Many would rather be fishing, traveling, or spending time outdoors, than repeatedly jacking around with files to upload them. It may be justified if someone wants to promote their commercial venture?

Most other sites allow file uploads in normal size, and then internally adjust pictures for storage and display.

Site members and advertisers would derive more value from the site if this last-century limitation could be fixed. It would lead to more sharing of pictures showing the wonders of Baja that we all enjoy.

Regards,
Jay
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 08:53 AM

Boy! I couldn't agree more. There are more admonishments from DavidK than there are pictures here. Baja is photogenic to da max but we have more maps from 1680 and hand drawn directions to Shell Beach than pictures of our beautiful place.

Long past time to get on with joining the rest of the net.
BB
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 08:55 AM

Agree!!
Posting through photobucket used to be a cinch, but now is getting to be a pain in the arse.:biggrin:

[Edited on 8-7-2013 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Agree!!
Posting through photobucket used to be a cinch, but now is getting to be a pain in the arse.:biggrin:

YUP!!

bacquito
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 12:40 PM

Please go to the Baja photo gallery forum here on Nomad and read my post at the top which has the up to-date how to post photo guide.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Many web sites charge to post photos.Doug,go ahead and charge.I won't mind.

I think that is a very good idea and it could help defray the cost of keeping Nomads going. I sure wouldn't mind paying and I can't imagine why anyone else would mind paying!

This site gives people who post pictures a place to share pictures with lots of exposure for either personal reasons, or to promote other web sites, or for free advertising.

Good idea!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 07:42 PM

Baja Nomad is THE place to expose BAJA... More Baja sharing for the benefit of fellow Nomads and the people of Baja California.

Doug can do what he wants, and if he wanted more income all he needs to do is get his Tienda Baja Nomad back online, and sell shirts, hats, bumper stickers, camping gear, whatever else other Nomads will buy. Adding a tax on photos will be like taxing anything else to make an income from someone else's efforts... it will have the effect of reducing that which we want to see here.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 07:48 PM

Quote:

Seriously, for non-commercial travel discussion?

Well, I haven't seen any... but I am mostly on Baja and Tacoma forums (Baja Nomad, Talk Baja, and Tacoma World primarily)... I have posted many photos on them and other sites, none charge.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Seriously, for non-commercial travel discussion?

Well, I haven't seen any... but I am mostly on Baja and Tacoma forums (Baja Nomad, Talk Baja, and Tacoma World primarily)... I have posted many photos on them and other sites, none charge.

Yes, many do after just a couple of photos. I know the Subaru forums does.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Baja Nomad is THE place to expose BAJA... More Baja sharing for the benefit of fellow Nomads and the people of Baja California.

Doug can do what he wants, and if he wanted more income all he needs to do is get his Tienda Baja Nomad back online, and sell shirts, hats, bumper stickers, camping gear, whatever else other Nomads will buy. Adding a tax on photos will be like taxing anything else to make an income from someone else's efforts... it will have the effect of reducing that which we want to see here.

No, it would not be about extracting income from someone else's efforts --- just good old capitalism. A charge for exposure of the work of others.

LIke some sites, a couple of photos for free, and then a charge for more. Makes a lot of good old fashion sense in a capitalist way.

No free lunches.

[Edited on 8-9-2013 by DianaT]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 06:20 AM

Quote:
What I am saying is that people complain about a service provided for free.Doug took over after the demise of "Amigos".To say things like "spend their time in a rather unproductive way""last century limitations","become a pain in the arse","join the rest of the net" is down right disrespectfull.
Why don't you aholes start your own baja website?!!!!

Yes. However, a forum really is a business in one way or another and it should be. Some forums charge just to belong or to post.

Charging for photos, after the first one or two, seems like a quite fair way to earn some money and earn it from the people who use the forum a lot.

I am sure changing any software and updating, etc. is expensive and definitely time consuming and should be compensated.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 07:27 AM

The photos people post here are the wealth of this forum (as are the trip reports, news from Baja, etc.) I believe it is the photos and such posts that bring more viewers to Nomad. If anything makes sense it would be for Nomad to pay them for the valuable contributions... not the other way around!

However, we who contribute to Nomad know it is out of love and passion to share our trip stories and photographs, and do so gladly and freely for the enjoyment of others. There is, afterall a classified ads forum here if there is anyone posting a photo for financial gain, like selling a boat or home on Nomad. I don't recall any other photos posted for anything but fun and pleasure for others here?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
If anything makes sense it would be for Nomad to pay them for the valuable contributions... not the other way around!

Now that is REALLY funny. :lol::lol::lol::lol: Surely you are joking. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 10:32 AM

Try this instead of photobucket. You just upload your image and download it back. It's simple. But not as simple as doing nothing.

http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/

I would not like to have to pay for posting images.

I believe that software that resizes your image automatically, like facebook, is far more complex than what runs these forums. These are forums after all and should not be 'taxed' for adding information.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Try this instead of photobucket. You just upload your image and download it back. It's simple. But not as simple as doing nothing.

http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/

I would not like to have to pay for posting images.

I believe that software that resizes your image automatically, like facebook, is far more complex than what runs these forums. These are forums after all and should not be 'taxed' for adding information.

Do you think a membership fee like is imposed by some forums would be fair --- not sure why the word taxed is being used? Well, then again, fee, charge, tax --- not much difference. The software, if possible, would be very nice, but probably is expensive?

Lots of photo storage places on the web charge one for the right to store their photos. It is business, but maybe an overall membership fee would be more equitable and pay for the new software???

I know Doug has some paid advertisers, but he is also quite liberal in allowing for all the free advertising. Maybe to increase revenue, that could change? Some forums, like Bloody Decks are really strict about what one puts in their posts and signature if they are a business or selling products and are not a paying advertiser?

Still LMAO over the suggestion that maybe Doug should pay the contributors --- best joke of the day.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 03:11 PM

David would go broke posting all his maps:lol::lol::lol:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 05:09 PM

Yeah seriously! I hope some of you like the maps... as many take a bit of time to show here. I enjoy sharing them, as I know how much I like seeing maps.

The books are for education... if you think I make any money on it as a co-author, you have really got something to learn. Max, Erline and I were passionate that the history of California should be presented as it really happened, in order, and not just to please one state government. We have spent so many hours over so many years, that the payback is seriously not there in money.

San Diego was the 19th California mission founded by the Spanish and Mexican missionaries, in the land that was California. There was not political separation of Baja and Alta California until 1804... All 48 missions were California missions and this little book attempts to easily inform the true founding order of them all... from Loreto in 1697 to Guadalupe in 1834.

Oh, look what you made me do... LOL :spingrin:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.