Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Photos from my Loreto trip
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 05:57 PM
Photos from my Loreto trip

Here are several photos from my Loreto trip including Underwater ones

http://home1.nikonnet.com/servlet/com.arcsoft.LoginNew?com=a...

I use Nikon.net's free webspace but the downside is the photos are a bit slow and small. Try the RUN SLIDESHOW option or scroll through at your leisure

[Edited on 11-19-2004 by synch]
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 06:14 PM
Grrrreat Pic's

Thanks for sharing....the colors underwater are really striking! Looks like lots of fun getting in up close and friendly with those finned critters!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

thumbup.gif posted on 11-18-2004 at 06:41 PM
GREAT PICS!

I really like this one! However, I am curious about the 'sudden loss of cabin pressure' photo???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 08:21 AM

Great photos, thanks for posting. Can I ask what camera you used for the underwater shots? The colors are amazing. I spent some time diving in Fiji and am kicking myself for not getting a better underwater camera.
synch
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 12:48 PM

AeroCalifornia departed from LAX destined for Loreto, but just south of Ensenada had a complete loss of cabin pressure. I was seated next to a guy in our SCUBA club who had a watch with a built-in altimeter and he said it MAX'ed out past the 13,000ft limit that it could read. We did an emergency landing by heading back to TJ.

I use a Nikonos RS, with 50mm and 13mm lenses.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 05:10 PM

My goodness! Can you tell us more... like did the pilot dive quickly to safe pressure or weren't you over 20,000 feet? Was it explained what the cause was? Have you flown on a Mexican airline since?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 07:56 PM

Absolutly incredible photos! Hope you have a patent on them as they are worthy of stealing! Where in the Lorto area were these taken? Sure would love to see these creatures with my own eyes!! Great stuff synch!:bounce:
synch
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 02:20 PM
WHY PAY MORE?

David K,

Yeah our SCUBA club from LA had quite a kick (we are a fun loving group) but with mild consternation.

I sat across from a club member who had just gotten a new watch with features for hikers like an altimeter, etc in it. As we ascended he made a comment that the altitude hadn't changed and still indicated 45 feet (~sea level). We proceeded higher and then he sings out that the altitude pressure just jumped to 5000 feet, shortly then he says his watch indicates 8000 feet.

I take this with a grain of salt, so when he exclaims that his watch suddenly indicates 13,000 feet (max his watch will show) and next, then displays dashes I jokingly state that the cabin has had a rapid depressurization.

Ha-ha-ha, THEN my ears pop
, the O2 masks drop from the ceiling and we all look at each other. I feel a bit light headed and put the mask on, pulling the O2 release cord - but nobody had any oxygen flow,
The capt had accidently left the PA system on as he is talking to the tower and my Spanish language skills are adequate enough to hear him declaring an emergency, then was directed to land at TJ. We had been headed South, he executes a 180 degree turn and I can see that Punta Bandas/Ensenada in the window view. Since we departed from LAX and were south past La Bufadora, then I'll estimate that we had climbed to over 20,000 feet. I've hiked/climbed to over 14,000 and felt that light headed feeling supporting my claim of over 20,000 ft
We landed at TJ where they coralled us into a vacant terminal and prohibited any photos or straying from the group seating area. They brought refreshments and we could see they took a welding cylinder to the aft section of the plane, but we really couldn't see what they were fixing. After 2.5+ hours we loaded back onto the plan and made a safe journey to Loreto.

Yes, my first flight on MEX airline, but no worries, I've booked on AeroCalifornia again on next months trip to La Paz and SCUBA trip to Islas Revillageos (Socorro Islands)!
Besides - why pay more? (chuckle)

Hope to have more SCUBA photos from that trip

[Edited on 11-22-2004 by synch]
synch
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 02:31 PM

Thanks Sally,
While Baja is beautiful, non-divers only get to see half of it - below the surface is truly fantastic with a strange mix of tropical and sub-tropical species.

Ken Bondy has the same type of camera and you should see his FANTASTIC photos of whalesharks (search the archives).

Unfortunately the camera uses film and is not digital so these were scans of prints. The prints look better.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 07:11 PM

Ken Bondy's web page (and others with great photos) can be found at VivaBaja.com in the Links to Baja Home Pages section... Link at bottom of each of my posts.

Thanks again for sharing the great photos all of you!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.