BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What's the road like out to Bahia San Basilio and San Sebastian?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 09:11 PM
Ok, here's the last

Barry, I just noticed your address. I didn't realize we were neighbors...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-21-2004 at 10:33 AM
NEIGHBORS FOR SURE

That's funny-----I had not noticed your home address either, befor now.

The pictures are great, tho disturbing. That last one sure shows the beauty of the water----really clear and nice. Thank you for posting these.

I have a pretty good Baja book and map collection if you are ever my way and would like to see them.

I do not view the NOMAD board as much as I would like too as we often are out of town, so do not get discouraged if you try to U2U me, or something, as it takes me a while for me to respond sometimes. I am unlisted in the phone book, too. The secretive type, you know. I will be here for the next 4 weeks, or so. Barry A.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2004 at 05:17 PM

Vgabndo: did you trailer the aluminum boat in the photo into San Basilio? If so, where did you launch?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2004 at 05:21 PM
Santiago

No, I got it there the best way:D:D by trolling down from San Nicolas. We did some snorkling, caught dinner, and had a very nice boat ride. I think it is about 15 miles from "our" beach. I've also been there by sail boat, and my impression was that if you have beach launching capability, and the access road was OK, it would be easy enough to get into the water. Pretty shallow though, right along the beach nearest the road.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 12:11 AM
BEACH CAMPING OPTIONS

Is camping on the beach possible at San Nicolas?? or is it all private beaches in front of houses? Barry
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

wink.gif posted on 11-22-2004 at 05:59 PM
Barry

Beach camping is possible at the mouth of the arroyo. Terry Bastida has a palapa he rents. North and south of the arroyo there are places for a mile or two that are on slight bluffs above the water. There is camping in the palms on Fernandos place which is only five minutes from the beach.

Depending on the season and the number of Pangeros operating off the beach, it can get pretty busy.
Baines

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 06:28 PM
Roads into San Basilio

Hook.. There are two roads into San Basilio, one at about K35 n. of Loreto and one off the road to San Juanico coming off the hwy at about K48. The K35 road was wiped out by the hurricanes last year ( I was last in there just before New Years 2004) If no new road buiding has gone on since, this road is impassable, because of a deep washout, more than shovels can do. The San Juanico road had some deep but passable sand parts to it , I did not need four wheel drive with my heavy camper and small trailer, but be careful! When you turn south off this road before you get ro San Juanico, watch out for washouts and sharp turns around brush and trees, then a very steep climb up a sharp hill and into deep dust patches, then you will rejoin the southern San Basilio road, turn east and go into the bay area. The storms had moved the sand around a lot and areas that I have camped in the past were deep sand and the road to the smaller western bay was washed out and filled with a deep lagoon. I am planning to go back there this winter about the 19th of Dec. Email me if you need more information or wish to join us. But be careful with a big rig, I don't know what the storms have done this summer and the San Juanico drainage is a major one, subject to flash flooding. This is not a good place to go if it rains!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2004 at 10:16 AM
Well, well, lots of good info here....

...unfortunately, I was on the road by 2pm on the 19th and missed alot of it.

My travels took me to , Catavina, San Lucas Cove, Playa Los Naranjos/PPA, Posada Concepcion and Burro for an afternoon.

Try as we might, we could not find another vehicle to join us in an attempt at Ensenada San Basilio. I felt it was too big a risk on a road lightly traveled to go it alone.

Did meet up with a group of Posada people who were going exploring the outside peninsula in search of the "Four Oasis" of fresh water that are usually flowing over there. Unfortunately, they were leaving on the day we had to begin our return home.

Such are the differences in the schedules of the working class versus the retirees. I hope to join the latter in a couple more years.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 12:02 PM

Hook-----it is a shame that you were not able to get out to Basilio, but just think, now you have a reason to go back. Just don't wait too long--------sounds like it has changed some since I was there in early 2000, but the basic beauty of the place will never change---in our lifetimes anyway. Retirement has lots of advantages, as you will soon find out. (-:

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 02:03 PM

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 02:13 PM
San Nicholas

I would like to thank all of you for your Posts about my old Home.
I stayed in San Nicholas for 4 years, nearly Full- time, lived in Pappa Murillo's House and a palapa near the Water Well.
If you are interested in Rock Writings, you may go West upt the "Old Road" and about a Mile in on the Right are several.
In those times you could catch 25 Lb. yellowtail off the Beach.
I would land my little Cessna 170 on the ridge above the road and usually spend 2 weeks at a time,learned "Slang Spanish" from"Chico", Terry, Marsella, Jose, and all the very good people . It is my wish that anyone visiting and interacting with those people will Learn and enjoy.

Skeet/Loreto
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 07:54 PM
Info on San Basilio

For those asking about San Basilio here it the info.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.