Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja 1000 Results?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 12:00 AM
Baja 1000 Results?

Well, the first across the line in La Paz (motorcycles, Trophy Trucks, Class 1, Class 8) should be arriving from now to the morning... If anyone has the results as they come in, please post them.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 01:59 AM

it is 5 minutes to 2 am here in LA PAZ. WE WATCHED campbell hengevold cross first in 16 hours 27 minutes at 11.27 LOCAL TIME.

WEATHER IS HERE,WISHYOU WERE BEAUTIFUL!

CHECK OUT OFF ROAD .COM

VIVA SCREAMING AIRLINES !!!!!

funky keyboard :P

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 07:16 AM
Baja 1000 @ RM 202

David, Robbie Gordon was the first Trophy Truck through and Campbell 1X was the first 2 wheeler. Score's site is non-op as they are probably updating it. Rob

[Edited on 11-19-2004 by BajaRob]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 11:38 AM

Apparently first 4-wheel vehicle O/A was Class 1 Herbst-Rosseler.

Johnny Campbell was first O/A ahead of 'em.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 02:18 PM
1000 results

http://www.off-road.com/race/2004score/baja1000/index.html

Lots of results here (above)
Also, www.robbiegordon.com
has really good stuff (not so good for Robbie, however)

I understand that there was a support team member killed in a head-on with a local, that is not confirmed, but read it elsewhere.

Sad (and dumb)

Baja Arriba!!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 03:48 PM
Please God no! Not again.....

:no:

It is so sad, but perhaps he (if true) died doing what he loved. I don't think most people (non-Baja folks) appreciate just what a dangerous thing the Baja 1000 race is, and just how dedicated these guys are. In 1997 I had the privilege to watch part of the race and was truely awestruck. Prayers to the family (blood and not).
Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 05:19 PM
Baja 1000 Photo Recap

2004 Baja 1000 Recap from the Ensenada side. Starting at the Contingency on Wednesday morning thru the action out on the track just east of Ensenada on Thursday.

I invite anyone who has pictures of mid race or La paz finish to please contact me and I will post them?.

Baja 1000 Photo Recap

Tio Rocky

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 05:57 PM

I also heard of the accident and death. If true, it was a chase vehicle and it occured before the race got to that part of Baja. The most dangerous driving is done by chase crews on non-race roads. They pay very little attention to other traffic or the speed limits. I watch all the Baja races but feel something should be done to control chase trucks etc. This is a race not the end of the world. I almost got a head-on with a chase truck in the middle of a dirt road me at about 20, him about 50. I got off the road with no problems but it was a excitement time for a second or so.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 06:03 PM
sad news

Debra, my comment was directed at the utter ignorance of those who choose to be on the race road, either during the actual race or in an unsafe manner during pre-run time.
I raced almost every Baja event for 12 years, it would be impossible to express my frustration over those folks who insist on being "in harms way."
We even came head-on with Parnelli's crew, running backwards on the course in the forest, trying to take him a drive shaft. It was hard to imagine a team with that sophistication that would choose to go upstream during a race. And yeah, I could name the guy driving the support truck, but I won't.
We were pre-running up in the pine forest, skidded around a corner and tore the whole side off a Baja Bug that was "dufusing around" backwards on the course. The guy moaned, we gritted our teeth, peeled the sheet metal out of the steel tube grill guard on our truck and headed on down the road.
Sigh......
Sad (and very dumb)

Baja Arriba!!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 06:44 PM
bajarunner......

I know what you were saying (I didn't take it that you were 'bad mouthing' anyone, I'm sorry if you misunderstood, that is the least thing I would want for any of the racers to feel , FROM ANYONE! let alone someone that has anything to say as inept as I about the 1000! (I wouldn't presume!)

What I would like to say is that I'm in awe of the racers, While I don't relish in the sport (I'm scared for you guys)

I watch, enjoy and cross my fingers (and Heart)

It seems that we may have lost another racer (rescue driver, and a local) As I said, God Bless them both.....And their families (blood or Brothern) I don't have close ties to either, but, I do know some (one) that does......Prayers are with your Brother......

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.