Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mag bay whale watching
dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 07:01 AM
Mag bay whale watching

We are planning a Mag bay whale watching trip this winter. The question I have is San Carlos or Lopez Mateos. I know SC has more motels and resturants than LM. Anyone have experience and comments on the whale watching at either location.

Dorado Don
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 08:37 AM

I am sure someone will have far more current information as it has been over 7 years since we went whale watching at Lopez Mateos. But we had a very good experience with a very professional, friendly and knowledgeable guide. He even had a long pole that he used to snag any trash that was in the water.

It is a BEAUTIFUL place. Next to San Ignacio, it was our favorite.

I don't even know if this group is still there, but someone else should know. We were quite happy with their operation.

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by DianaT]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 08:44 AM
lopez hands down!!

Funny thing....I have been watching whales from shore for the past two weeks (humpbacks) in N.monterey bay ca. never seen so close to shore before...ME..I have to dodge the damn things with a high speed boat ya' no :lol:....LOL "O" whales...look ethol:lol:
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
I am sure someone will have far more current information as it has been over 7 years since we went whale watching at Lopez Mateos. But we had a very good experience with a very professional, friendly and knowledgeable guide. He even had a long pole that he used to snag any trash that was in the water.

It is a BEAUTIFUL place. Next to San Ignacio, it was our favorite.

I don't even know if this group is still there, but someone else should know. We were quite happy with their operation.

Yes it's still there. I was there last March and the year before. I second your experience. Very good captains...

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:58 AM
lets get real !!

boat operaters...NOT Captains,,,not even close...just owning a panga and steering with a tiller does not make someone a capt.............get a GRIP !!!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
boat operaters...NOT Captains,,,not even close...just owning a panga and steering with a tiller does not make someone a capt.............get a GRIP !!!

Yea, but it seems like every panga driver, especially ones that take people fishing think they are captains, so I guess the ones operating the whale watching pangas might deserve that title also. ??:biggrin:

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 10:21 AM

Captains can charge more money !
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 10:52 AM
boat captain

there is whats considerd a boat owner with years of time on the the water and then there is what is called and respected for time 0n the water who has study time and skills that are past a mere panga owner..if you do not understand that...I understand !! but if you think for a second that a panga owner in Baja deserves the right to be called a captain...you are very mistaken ,,IMO,,maritime has shaped this world and I'll be danmed,, if someone that buys a a piece of fiberglass has a right to the tittle of Captain,, it takes (deserves) years of study,,tests,,proof of skills,,time otw with many POB and a special touch..btw a real captain can work/run a vessel almost any where in the world if he/she is a real captain...not a boat owner......bottom line ..owning a boat for many years does not mean from real boat captains that you get the respect and trust from....FACT !!
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 11:16 AM

Hey dtutko1 !!

Plan on staying at my place as a friend and guest. Just bring your pillow & sheets. Plenty of blankets there.

Let me know when you can come. The place will wait for you. February is top of the bell January - March. See ya . . .

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 11:28 AM
Whale Fest in Lopez Mateos

Is this the first weekend in February?
Is it a good time to go for whale watching or is it too crowded?Anyone know?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 01:59 PM

Grey Whale Fest is 1st week-end in February - yes.

Mondays and Tuesdays are best. Less crowded.

Tour buses start showing up on Wednesdays on. . . .

There are 4 co-ops.
Each co-op also has it's own large restaurant which features a halibut, shrimp and lobster combination meal for around 200+ pesos.

All the boat operators attend classes in December for new regs, handling, helping clients, safety, etc. It is really quite impressive.

Private boats are not allowed near the whales.
Everyone must go with one outfit or another.
The whale watching activities are strictly monitored.

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 02:23 PM

Quote:

My bad. I'm just a whale watcher. Let me rephrase: "The boat operators are great." Didn't mean to offend you.

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by danaeb]

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula

Great to see an updated photo----nice paint job and now that the top is enclosed, is that where the restaurant is?

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 04:42 PM

No, that upstairs is a waiting/viewing area.

The restaurant is down the street.

Lopez is sprucing up, painting up and cleaning up again after this last rain and will be ready for the whale watchers when they start rolling in.

A really progressive little town.
Strong Mayor, church and work ethic here.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 05:11 PM
thank you daneab

Quote:
there is whats considerd a boat owner with years of time on the the water and then there is what is called and respected for time 0n the water who has study time and skills that are past a mere panga owner..if you do not understand that...I understand !! but if you think for a second that a panga owner in Baja deserves the right to be called a captain...you are very mistaken ,,IMO,,maritime has shaped this world and I'll be danmed,, if someone that buys a a piece of fiberglass has a right to the tittle of Captain,, it takes (deserves) years of study,,tests,,proof of skills,,time otw with many POB and a special touch..btw a real captain can work/run a vessel almost any where in the world if he/she is a real captain...not a boat owner......bottom line ..owning a boat for many years does not mean from real boat captains that you get the respect and trust from....FACT !!
:cool:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 05:21 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree with you at all about what a real captain is and I have thought it quite pretentious for every panga driver to either call himself a captain, or be referred to as a captain by others in a serious way.

My comment was just a statement of how it is and I am sorry if you thought I was disagreeing or in any way demeaning to what is a real captain as you describe. It was meant to be a bit sarcastic and joking, but that doesn't always work well in writing. You are definitely correct.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 05:31 PM
Hola DianaT

Guess I got out of bed on the wrong side this morn...and to top it off I just relized somhow/where I lost 5,6 hundred dllrs in the past 24 hrs....Ouch !! today will end...btw..my life in Baja since 77 has been shared with the panga boys and have many lifelong friends and got my boat saved with the help of a shrimper once (great fire story),,, I have still no notion that a boat owner with no formal training,skills,time studying or real sea time can be called a captian..just aint right !!...IMO>>>K&T:cool:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 05:39 PM

I believe the captain is back!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 05:48 PM
LOL

yep !! but im a younger than that pic !!:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.