Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Packing for Baja
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 04:46 PM
Packing for Baja

Well, sounds like many are getting antsy with the Baja bug. Tis the season!!
Just thought I would mention that when you are filling every nook and cranny of those off road machines with porta potties and gas powered margarita makers, save just a little space for a bag of shoes, clothes or some school supplies, you know, things that are hard for these guys to get.
Also a good idea is to carry extra medicines. Antibiotics, aspirin ( many need them for heart conditions) hydrogen pyroxide, pepto bismol or other brands for bad muscles:?:
This mostly applies to those that are heading into the more remote areas but, it's a nice gesture no matter where you end up!
Pay ATTENTION every second!! The motorhome caravans will be starting soon which will put the truck drivers in bad moods.
BE CAREFUL and PAY ATTENTION!!! It all happens in a matter of seconds!
:O
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 12:30 PM
Packing for Baja

Aside from the clothes our kids have grown out of; we always pack a few boxes of pencils and small pads. Wherever we see a school and have the time, we stop and drop the school supplies. Once, we dropped a few old sets of encyclopedias and other reference books; the kids were wowed !!
Another time an old tv/vcr with some discovery channel nature tapes was the greatest treasure.
We all have so much..........
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2004 at 09:34 AM

Thank you both for the ideas. We are flying this year, but, we can find space for something. Guess I'll just have to leave some clothes home and shop when we get there. Tee-hee.;)

Live, love and be happy.
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 12:12 PM

We will be leaving on a 3 1/2 week trip around the first. We may have a small amount or room to take some things (Toy Van, 3 people, 2 large dogs, gear for almost a month, etc...). Where do you suggest we take these items if we have them? We are going to stay on the hwy for the most part on the way to Todos, La Ribera areas, with a few detours to a couple of surf spots on the Pacific side. Are any areas more needy at this time or is there a central place on the north end to deliver, so as not to have to cart this stuff too far?

:?:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 12:15 PM
Agua Viva in Maneadero

is a pretty good place complete with orphans. They are a little ways off the main highway but not hard to get to in Baja terms.
Let me know and I will give you directions.

Also, I may be leaving for the south around the same time so I may even be able to show you where it is.

[Edited on 11/23/2004 by jrbaja]
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 12:37 PM

That sounds great JR. Unless something comes up, we plan on leaving home on the 1st and San Diego on the 2nd. Our destination is San Quintin for the first night, so we will have time to take a side trip. Is this on the way to La Bufadora? I've never been, worndering if it's worth the trip.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 12:52 PM
It's right at the beginning

of the road to La Bufadora. And then a few blocks to the south west.
La Bufadora is one of my favorite places because of the ambiance. It reminds me of main street Disneyland usually but it's one of the prettiest spots along the coast.
I think it's worth seeing although it's a long way to Todos Santos to be making detours like that. Lot's of fun but depends on your schedule if you have any.
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 11:54 AM

No real schedule, we want to be back home before Christmas, but the itinerary is pretty loose. We would like to show our daughter some of our favorite spots, it's her first time.
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2004 at 10:51 PM
Agua Viva in Maneadero

is a pretty good place complete with orphans. They are a little ways off the main highway but not hard to get to in Baja terms.
Let me know and I will give you directions.

Also, I may be leaving for the south around the same time so I may even be able to show you where it is.

JR...Not sure when you are headed south, but in case we cannot meet up, I would like directions. We have a few bags of clothes and some school supplies. Thanks!

[Edited on 11-29-2004 by Janice]
Ranger Rich

Mood: No malo

question.gif posted on 11-29-2004 at 08:08 AM

Is it appropriate to send second-hand clothing?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2004 at 02:37 PM
Personally, I would take the RV caravans...

...over the incredibly dangerous driving I experienced last week from the people associated with the SCORE event. Unbelieveable foolish passing on curves and over-the-line driving at speeds that were excessive.

I have found that the caravans are conscious of their spacing and slow down to let you pass.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.