Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question for Stephanie Jackter
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

thumbup.gif posted on 8-20-2003 at 02:53 PM
Question for Stephanie Jackter

I live in Loreto and have two young children 3 yrs and 11 mos. I think its time ti teach my three year old how to swim. How do you go about doing it? I really think she'll enjoy snorkeling after she is a competent swimmer and maybe even dining like your 11 year old.

I'm glad to see your posts here. The other forum is a bore now that you have gone:Droll
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2003 at 04:20 PM
Debra

Pam, My son is now 10 (as of last week) he's been swimming in Baja since he was 4 (Sea of Cortez, and the Pacific) He has been boogie boarding in Hawaii since he was 6 (large waves) I think the trick is (worked for him) that we put a life-vest, with one of those strapes between his legs when he was about 1 1/2 yr. old and just let him gooooooo (not in waves unless I was right there beside him) he saw from us, that there was nothing to be afraid of, so he just gained his confidence.....and 'went', when he was about 3 plus....he was using 'water-wings' he thought he needed them, I knew he didn't, but I put them on him anyway, (no air in them, he didn't miss air, LOL!) pretty soon he stopped asking for them, since he's been about 6 he's been my best snorkel buddy! and since Mom has problems with the tubes in her ears, he does all the clam diving for me, we make a great team! Young son is a very cautious kid, always has been......I feel as long as they are not forced and given free access (within reason) they will "get it" Just a personal opinion here, the thing that upsets me and I feel puts kids back, WAY BACK! are parents, well meaning as I'm sure they are, throwing the kid in, ....let them get their 'feet wet', on their own terms and it will be okay. Hope this helps. Happy swimming, Debra
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2003 at 06:35 PM
Swimmin kids

Pam, my name is not Debra but I did raise a daughter part time down here. I also have taught many kids to swim and spent many years at the beach and playing water polo.
My Daughter started out in Concepcion Bay learning how to do the sting ray shuffle. Then the snorkeling and then the serious swimming.
Racing Dad, diving deeper, spending time on the bottom ( for lungs and holding breath) and then we moved to the surf here.
After feeling comfortable with swimming, snorkeling, and holding her breath, I took her into rip tides, on purpose, to give her the feel of what can happen. And how to get out of them.
I now know that my daughter is safe in the water under most circumstances and can deal with it without panic. This to me is the most important thing in the water.
The sooner you get rid of the water wings and floaties, the better off you are. You will be amazed at how well they adapt to water as long as they have been taught and feel comfortable in it.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2003 at 10:15 PM
Hi Pam

Oh boy, am I glad you asked this question! I do endorse one kind of swim aid, but only because using it, all three of my kids were swimming on their own by three (and two of them by the age of 2!) with the aid of these suits.

What they are is swim suits with extractable floatation inserts all around the midrif and they worked so well at teaching my kids to swim that I'm no less than messianic about them. They can be used on children as young as 18 months old if the child weighs enough to properly ballance in one.

What they do is put the child in a perfect position for naturally beginning to swim. You should initially use them in very calm water like a pool for the first couple of weeks. Put the child in the suit and then coax him or her into the pool, assuring the little guy that the suit will hold them up like a floatie. Swim with him or her to the end of the pool once she's gotten confidence that it will help her float and keep reminding her to kick her feet and it will make her go. But mostly just putz around and have fun. The happiness and freedom with floating and moving unhampered in the water is definitely the first step.

Now comes the part that screws many parents up, but if you can do it, you're home free to a swimming kid. After the child has swam every day for a couple of weeks in the suit and is doing a little kicking and strengthened those leg muscles a little, you take one or two of the inserts out (just make sure it's either one insert out of the middle of the front or two off the sides, so it doesn't screw up the ballance of the suit). This IS a time when you have to be very vigilant of the child. The child will look like he's having a little difficulty keeping his head above water, but if you just let him or her go and keep a really good eye peeled on him, you'll find that after five minutes or so, the child has learned to compensate for the lack of bouyancy by kicking the legs just a little harder.

Let the child swim for a couple of weeks at each level of bouyancy, until after less than two months, you take the last two floaties out and WALA, Junior is swimming without any aids or any lessons and doesn't even realize it! Then you tell the child how great he/she is, do the applause, and you're home free. You do have to, of course, be very vigilant at first, but by the time they've been at it for a few months, they turn into little fishies.

I also encouraged my children to jump in from the side of the pool and from the beginning had them going under and then bobbing back up. With lots of games where I'd go under as an example to them.

The bottom line, though, is whatever way you choose, just make it fun and encourage respect for, but not fear of, the water and it'll all happen quite naturally. I'll put the link for the Speedo site that carries the suits in case you're interested. I just loved the things. I remember being in the Sea of Cortez with my 5 yr, 3 yr and 18 month old on a calm day many years ago and just feeling like the luckiest woman in the world to have all three happily swimming around me with the littlest one still in her suit while the other mothers had their kids latched on to their waists in fear as they all looked on in amazement at my kids. Get a couple of those suits and you'll be soon having those magic moments too. - Stephanie p.s. Glad to hear I wasn't wholly and totally forgotten by at least somebody over there. Take care.

http://www.speedousa.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=L...
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2003 at 02:03 PM
Speedo suits

I'll definately be looking those suits up. My three year old is using the floating arm bands now and really likes them but they dont encourage her to sue her legs. I'll buy the suits for both of my kids and the 11 month old will be way ahead of the curve next summer. They're little now but they're becoming more fun to be around and I'm looking forward to the day when they can both swim around me like you described. We have so much calm and clear water here that I would really like them to enjoy it and be safe at the same time. Thanks!!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2003 at 02:05 PM
Suits are on sale!!

Now that the season is over up north, the suits are on sale! Good timing!:Droll
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2003 at 04:29 PM
watching a 4 learn to swim

We recently watched a 4 yr old learn to swim in a pool in a suit with the tubes. She went from being afraid of the water to jumping in on her own, swimming daily for a week as tubes were gradually removed. By the end of week 2 she was swimming on her own, saying the tubes were for babies. I've worked with many small children in the water and this is the fastest I've seen one learn (unless you count wee infants who quite naturally swim on their own).

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2003 at 10:05 PM

Yeah, once you've seen them work, you get totally sold. For a while there I was hittin' up all the mothers I saw at pools with kids clinging on them to get the things. I should have stock in the companys that sell these things. I've turned into their best sales lady.-Stephanie
Msal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2003 at 08:36 AM

Those swimming vests are great! My G-daughter started wearing one when she was three. She wore it for two weeks and was swimming on her own. She is now 5 yrs.old and surfing with the bigs kids, no fear! Sally:D)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.