Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: RoundUp equivalent?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Actually I'm familiar with Round Up. Before I moved here I worked 9 years with the Kitsap County Parks. We used it on some trails, fence lines, noxious weed control, rehabed planters and even some smaller play fields among other applications. It was our grass and broad leaf control of choice. Didn't do much on black berries tho.
Down here it hasn't done squat over (for me) the years. I keep trying it but it doesn't seem the right product for my weeds. The local gardener charges me $30 to hoola hoe the yard and everything is good for a couple of weeks. Putting out bird food doesn't help the cause much. The Round Up does works on what ever bird seeds root.
I will try some of the suggestions above. Thanks for the input.
If you get on the weeds quick with the hula hoe, before they go to seed, you won't have much of a weed problem after a couple of years.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:57 AM

A sure cure for unwanted weeds:

http://tinyurl.com/mm3n2sx

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CP
What might I ask for at an Ag Supply store for weed killer spray?

Roundup is common, but you can also ask for some 2,4-D, if it has not been banned.

2,4-D is for broad leaf weeds (and plants), not grasses.

[Edited on 10-30-2013 by Taco de Baja]

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:01 AM

roundup is poison that severely harms the environment and people, so are other chemical herbicides.

There are other methods, such as hand weeding, temporary covers, ground cover, mulch, top dressing.

Are there any other non-chemical suggestions?

[Edited on 10-30-2013 by gnukid]
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Anybody know how to kill bamboo??? Round-up takes forever, and takes lots of applications, apparently. Been working at it for 4 months and am just now seeing results.

Barry

Best way to get rid of bamboo and giant reed (Arundo donax), that looks like bamboo but isn’t, is with a backhoe to dig up all the rhizomes and then burn them. :lol:

But that's usually too much work. Next method is to cut the stems/stalks as close to the ground as possible and immediately spray the area with Roundup. If you have a large area, and it's hard to keep track of what's been sprayed and what hasn't, add some dye to the spray mix. Wait a couple weeks and re-spray any sprouts as needed. It may take a while, but eventually the patch will be dead.

-Herbert Spencer
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
roundup is poison that severely harms the environment and people, so are other chemical herbicides.

There are other methods, such as hand weeding, temporary covers, ground cover, mulch, top dressing.

Are there any other non-chemical suggestions?

[Edited on 10-30-2013 by gnukid]

Hand weeding is of course best, but not practical if you have anything over a quarter acre, hence the prevalence of chemical methods.

I suppose goats, horses and cows would be an effective non-chemical method, but they have their own challenges.

-Herbert Spencer
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:32 AM

For larger areas use tools to turn the soil and use light cover cloth to reduce growth, annual cover crops help, ground covers, mulch and intelligent garden design.

Round is poison that harms the food chain, animals, and causes birth defects, cancer and health problems globally. IF you use round-up it kills the surface plants and they certainly come back, so you will use it again and again. It costs money that could be applied to other beneficial solutions.

I help garden at many houses and we have never used round-up or poison, it just takes a little effort, planning, design and maintenance. We have gardens full of healthy birds, fruits and vegetables.

There must be one other nomad with suggestions to avoid poisons?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 08:44 AM

Roundup isn't cheap, 1 guy with a hula hoe can knock down all the weeds on our 1/2 acre property in a couple of days, and even if you use roundup, someone still needs to clean up the dead weeds, so for me it's better to avoid the poison, stimulate the local economy, and just hire a guy to clean them up by hand.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 05:36 PM

Just received this from a friend in Az. so I don't know much about the product other than the Az hwy dept uses it supposed to kill the weeds to the root and I believe also the seeds...
Its called Razor Pro and can be purchased on Amazon or Ebay and probably other places....
Might want to research it more as it is kind of pricey also....
he claims he uses it in his yard and its amazing...
might be worth a look into

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 05:51 PM

Here the message I got when I went to purchase some,Razor Pro HERBICIDE 41% Glyphosate 2.5 gal. Weed Killer
"PLEASE NOTE: This prodcut can not be sold to residents of California."
Figures:mad:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Anybody know how to kill bamboo??? Round-up takes forever, and takes lots of applications, apparently. Been working at it for 4 months and am just now seeing results.

Barry

Barry,

Cut it all down with a chain saw close to the ground and then water it really good. When you get a healthy start of young tender shoots starting spray a 5% RU solution on the new growth . Reapply if neccessary. Then , after its dead , as Monoloco suggest , tractor the roots out
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Here the message I got when I went to purchase some,Razor Pro HERBICIDE 41% Glyphosate 2.5 gal. Weed Killer

Russ

I believe that's the same as roundup

For woody plants try crossbow
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KaceyJ
Quote:

Russ

I believe that's the same as roundup

For woody plants try crossbow

No problem buying "Round-UP" in Redding, Ca-------I just did the other day.

Barry
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.