Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fideo Soup
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 11:15 AM
Fideo Soup

I have a great recipe for Fideo soup. I only exactly measure the weight in ounces of the amount of fideo noodles that I put in the soup (4 oz for one person, 7 oz for two people), the rest of the ingredients are always just estimated. That way, the soup comes out a little different each time; that is a good thing.

4 to 7 oz - Fideo noodles (thin, straight uncooked noodles, about ½ inch long)
½ an onion, diced
3 to 5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 to 3 celery stalks, sliced
hand full of fresh celery leaves
2 to 4 oz chopped cilantro
bottom end of celery bunch
¼ diced fresh tomato
½ fresh pasilla chili, diced
1/3 peeled carrot, thinly sliced
1/8 fresh jalapeno, sliced – no seeds
At least 1 quart preheated and strong chicken stock made from Knorr’s chicken bouillon
vegetable oil

Sautee onions, sliced celery, bottom end of celery bunch, diced pasilla, sliced jalapeno, sliced carrots and garlic in some vegetable oil, set aside.

Sautee the dry uncooked fideo noodles in some vegetable oil until slightly burnt orange in color. Note: use medium low flame in a saucepan with slow constant stirring; 7 to 12 minutes. Next, add all ingredients to sautéed noodles: preheated chicken stock, sautéed veggies, tomato, celery leaves, cilantro. Simmer 20 to 35 minutes until noodles are done to your taste.

Salt and pepper to taste, if needed.

The celery leaves and bottom end of celery bunch is the trick that adds fantastic flavor.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 05:02 PM
This Looks Delicious

Fideo soup is something I have heard about, but never experienced.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 10:38 AM

The soup is delicious, cheap to make, and fast to prepare if you use 3 separate sauce pans simultaneously: One to sautee the veggies, one to sautee the noodles, and one to heat up the chicken stock.

Fideo noodles are dirt cheap. At Mexican markets in Orange County, Calif, I buy off brand 7 oz packages for $0.33 each. Even Barilla has it at a good price. In La Paz, Wamart carries Barilla brand pastas cheaper than I get it for in OC, Calif.

You can use varying amounts of chicken stock to adjust to your own taste and preference. Actually that goes for any and all the ingredients, and, as I mentioned, I vary the quantities of ingredients each time I make a batch just to get a little variety.

The soup is great for both lunch and dinner, side dish or main course, and, it is healthy food.

In La Paz, the celery is soooo good and full tasting. Most people throw away the bottom end of the celery bunch, the celery leaves in the middle and ends of the bunch, and the thin branches that hold those leaves. Big mistake. There is a great deal of concentrated celery flavor there. No reason to discard them...they are NOT bitter tasting, but hold much celery flavor.

[Edited on 11-6-2013 by MitchMan]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.