BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Source for free stuff for Baja.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 09:57 AM
Source for free stuff for Baja.

I imagine most participants of this board are involved in carting free stuff down to Baja. A couple of months ago I was turned on to a network of folks that share stuff they don't need anymore - I gave it a whirl and had pretty good results.

Check out :

http://www.freecycle.org/

and then look for a link to your area.

The way it works is that individual communities across the US have groups on Yahoo and people list things that they don't need or that they would like - and the connection is made.

In my case I put out a call for anyone with useable crutches or walkers. It hasn't been exactly a deluge but to date I've been able to accumulate about 12 sets of crutches and 5 walkers. It might not sound like much but that represents about a thousand dollars in medical supplies.

If someone were to run a message for more common items the reponse would probably be a lot more.

Chau guys.

Braulio.

(Stanford sucks)
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 10:36 AM
walkers and crutches

Braulio
Don't know what they cost but the segundo shops in La Paz always have hundreds for these items. It always made me sad to see them because, particularly with the walkers, you know that the people did not turn them back in for roller skates.
Justr thought of it...since most of their merchandise comes from Ensenada, those shops probably have them too

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 11:13 AM
Thanks Braulio

I am having a trailer made for just that purpose.:light:
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 11:45 AM

I'll have to check out the segundo shops - the only ones I've been to are in swap meet type places and I don't ever recall seeing mountains of them. If I could get them for a couple of bucks in Mexico it'd save me a lot of work.

I normally get them at garage sales - I rarely pay over a buck and if I mention what a worthy cause it is and what a fine person I am I often get them for free. I've also been getting crutches and walkers for free with a connection I have at the Sacto/Davis Med Center - a lot of times they're busted and I have to mix/match/cannabalize.

Anyway - the post wasn't about crutches as much as it was about a new source for stuff.

I notice the freecycler club in San Diego is pretty big. You might be able to get a free trailer there - worth a try.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 12:25 PM

You might check with anyone at the Mulege Rotary Club and other charitable clubs there. There is a website I believe. They have been donating things like that for 30 years. Most of us oldtimers just brings things down ourselves every year for the needy. My specialty was the old manual typewriters...worked better for the schools here in Mulege. Also some baseball gear was welcomed. Now it's clothes, clothes, clothes. Nice of you to keep up the good work.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 12:49 PM

Pompano - I'm already a member of the Rotary in Mexico - the crutch/walker stuff goes directly to another organization through a Padre I know.

Manguera A - Yeah - keep me informed - I'll be down through Ensenada with a pickup in December - I prefer metal stuff but if the price is right I'll take anything.

A note on the freecycler deal - at a glance I think the majority of the members are probably just mooching - if you want anything for a good cause you'll probably have to run a request and hope there are enough good people that reply - that is don't plan on picking up anything that's posted - there are so many moocher-types that have nothing better to do than sit in front of a monitor all day watching the message board and scarf ing up anything of value.

Thanks muchachos.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.