Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Fish/meat smoker
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by churro
I have a smoker with a water pan. There is a pan at the bottom of the unit you can put beer or fruit juice between the coal and the meat, it gives the meat extra flavor and the meat stays moist... I like the wet smoker much more than the dry smoker... If I were building a smoker, i would put a water pan in it.

[Edited on 2-27-2014 by churro]

I just did four nice Bonito fillets on my wet smoker this morning. It looks good enough to eat.:lol: Succulent, and with a nice 'bite'.

IMG_3367mm.jpg - 21kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
Hi Larry, I have sheet metal fabrication shop in Escondido. I would be willing to help with your project if you haven't already finished it. I too am wanting to build a smoker. We could make two.

Bob
Darn, where were you 2 months ago. I just finished this smoker again. Had a few design changes, but am ready to try it out now. I have some fish that should be ready to smoke in a day or 2 after they sit in some brown sugar a little longer. Maybe we can still collaborate on another one. I'll post some pictures of this one soon.
Larry
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 08:16 AM
smoking tip

Use a LOT less salt than you think !!! do you want smoked fish or salted fish ?? most folks read some fools smoking gig and use so much SALT that you need to soak in water before you can chew it...smoked correctly will not need much salt...or try terryaki and brown sugar with NO salt !! !!!!!....PS.. indirect/cold or direct/hot faster...your choice and time

[Edited on 2-27-2014 by captkw]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 08:56 AM

I'd be interested in what others are using for their brine recipes. I usually do a dry brine with 6 parts brown sugar to one part kosher salt. I cover the filets with it and leave it about 8-10 hours then rinse them off and place them on the rack and sprinkle red pepper flakes and ground coriander on them, then let them dry for 2-3 hours with a fan blowing on them before placing them in the smoker.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 09:38 AM

admittedly not a culinary artist, gallon of kikkoman from smart and final and a box of brown sugar, im good to go.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 11:31 AM
smoking

Myself like to cut the fish into 1 1/2 strips and add dry red chili peppers..seems to smoke very even and you can always brush off the pepper seeds with a brush for the kids..does not make the fish/meat HOT !! just adds a bit of Good stuff...IMO brine needs very little salt and Kikkoman or terriaki works just fine....Most guys use WAY too much salt and waste and good chunk of fish IMO !! ....K&T:cool:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 12:17 PM

mono ... that is some "brine"

the old man used to smoke a lot of fish ... but, sadly I never really watched him in the preparation phase .. just had to keep the wood on the fire for days

[Edited on 2-27-2014 by wessongroup]

baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 01:11 PM

Agricultural Extension Schools to the rescue. Pictures, plans and written instructions. http://animalscience.uconn.edu/extension/publications/build_...
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 2-27-2014 at 01:14 PM
smoking fish

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Originally posted by churro
I have a smoker with a water pan. There is a pan at the bottom of the unit you can put beer or fruit juice between the coal and the meat, it gives the meat extra flavor and the meat stays moist... I like the wet smoker much more than the dry smoker... If I were building a smoker, i would put a water pan in it.

[Edited on 2-27-2014 by churro]

I just did four nice Bonito fillets on my wet smoker this morning. It looks good enough to eat.:lol: Succulent, and with a nice 'bite'.

What was the temperature of your smoker?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2014 at 08:12 AM

Here are some photos of the semi finished smoker. The racks are welded aluminum, and slide in and out for ease of cleaning. The heat box underneath is an old aluminum fuel tank that I took out of my truck a few years ago. In the heat box is a small, and as it turns out, too small 2 burner stove.
The frame is 1" square tube. I brought down 60' of it and used 55'. The tubes in the bottom of the drum are for drainage and dump into a small plastic jar.

I did a batch of fish yesterday and it came out pretty good. I took CaptKW's advice and didn't use too much salt. I think I need a larger burner 'cause I had trouble getting the temperature above 180. Once I get a larger burner I am going to try a turkey and maybe a prime rib roast.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-2-2014 at 08:17 AM

very nice!

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2014 at 09:17 AM

Used to smoke a lot of fish. Hardest part was getting it lit. :tumble:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2014 at 09:58 AM

You gotta use the right paper.

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2014 at 10:31 AM

Just in case anyone is still looking at building their own smoker..

June 2012 popular mechanics has a vertical drum smoker plan with materials list and pictures.. its made with a 55 gallon drum but could probably be downsized to a 30 gallon..
I think you can go to www.popularmechanics.com and find it... If not send me a note and I will try to scan and send a copy to you.. not sure the magazine pages will scan well...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.