BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Need Help! Have to sign legal documents in Mexico - FMM (FMT?)
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 05:19 PM

This is a complicated issue. You will get many different answers here on the BN Forum. Most of them valid, based on their personal experience. Something we are all aware of is that laws, procedures and answers can differ depending on which Mexican official you talk to. And...the laws can change in an instant.

You may not be able to sign the documents with only an FMM, and yet you being in the country legally would not be an issue.

If there is a transference of property, you will most certainly have to do it through a Notario. They are government appointed, important officials who are basically real estate lawyers. Yes, take an interprerter with you for absolute clarification of the documents and the conversation. The Notorio will tell you if the FMM is sufficient to sigh the documents. If not, he can tell you what you need and where to get it. Be prepared for this to take more than one visit. These things can get drawn out for quite awhile.

Hopefully, the FMM will suffice, the red tape is minimal and you will have a successful experience. Best of Luck and I am so sorry for the loss of your father.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You need a passport for ID.

As noted by David.... want to make sure you're aware that you now must have a valid passport - or passport card - to obtain the FMM.

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
DenverDano

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 07:17 PM

Thanks to all of you. My fathers attorney that set up his fideicomiso is a notary and is the gentleman that is helping me. Between everything you have all said, what the real estate agent who was a friend of my fathers told me and what I was able to get from the notary today all I will need is the FMM, my birth certificate apostille and my fathers death certificate apostille along with my passport.

The notary also told me that he can arrange for a translator to translate the documents completely and to be there with me to explain what I am signing. While I am not positive, I believe what is happening is that the fideicomiso will transfer into my name as my fathers only heir and this should complete the process. Then I can arrange to sell the property, at that point I believe I will need a FM3.

I am going the week after next and am going to try and accomplish the entire thing in a single day. Flying in first thing, getting the FMM at the border, driving to Ensenada, signing papers, then getting back to San Diego for a late flight out. If I get stuck, I will just stay the night. I think I can pull this off based on all of my prior trips there, the only unknown is the time it will take me to get the FMM and then how many hours I will be in the long line of cars at the border on the way back.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Who knows, maybe I will keep the property and build a home on it. My understanding it is in one of the best areas of Ensenada, its gated and its right before you get to Ensenada so its closer to the states for americans that want to live there.

Thanks again to everyone!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DenverDano
its gated and its right before you get to Ensenada so its closer to the states for americans that want to live there.

Exactly where?

I, among a few others here, are familiar with the area.

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
There is a good chance the Notario is referring to something more involved than "tourist" documentation since you, being a new property owner, will no longer be considered a tourist.
It seems you've been tossed between the rock and the hard place and need further clarification from the Notario.

Sorry for your loss, and best of luck on the outcome.

Dennis, I believe that when it was an FM-T, that it was only for 'tourist activities' (vacationing, no property could be left behind in Mexico). Since it was changed to an 'FMM' a couple years ago, it is now a 'multi-use' permit that allows tourists to make a purchase BEFORE they obtain the correct FM-3 or other visa when they convert from a tourist to being a 'part-time resident with property left in Mexico.

A tourist (after all) is someone who visits someplace on a vacation for a limited part of the year. A part time resident is someone who returns to the same property where they have leased or bought. No doubt there are MANY people who have bought, leased, or left property in Mexico and never made the effort to get the correct visa. I think these folks know their legal rights to keep their property are diminished without doing the correct paperwork with the government.

Wrong again Davvvid, I bought my beach house with a Fmt and my ranch inland with an FMM.. as long as you are in the country legally you can buy property and open a bank account, in fact it used to say that on the front of an Fmt.......

By the way in the Fidicomiso there is a line for beneficiary, where your name should be, so Death certificate,passport and FMM should be all you need....sorry for your loss

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by bajagrouper]

I hear the whales song
DenverDano

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
its gated and its right before you get to Ensenada so its closer to the states for americans that want to live there.

Exactly where?

Cibola Del Mar
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 12:14 AM

Wrong Again??? Okay, I will try and be more accurate... but people I know who do live in Mexico have shared the details with me.

Nothing stops anyone from handing over money and buying something... Never said you couldn't do that.

I did say that to have legal recognition to live in Mexico (part or full time) you need (legally) to have the correct visa and not just a tourist card.

I was talking about the old FM-T.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 07:53 AM

Welcome to the board, and to Ensenada. When will you be here???

If you need help with anything, reach out. Plenty of Nomads in the area.

Quote:

Cibola Del Mar

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 08:37 AM

Quote:

Cibola Del Mar

Nice!!!!

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 09:22 AM

Yes, you are right with that comment Shari.

An English speaking Mexican national would be better than nothing, but for the final legals an accredited translator will be necessary in my experience, and a Mexican would know where to locate one.

The Notarios are all good people, they have to be, but most do not speak or write in English when it comes to documentation.
DenverDano

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 09:38 AM

Sorry for the delayed update but I figured I would post this in case others are having this concern.

So I was able to sign all of the legal documents with the FMM and did so as I described above.

I flew into San Diego and stopped at the border. I was able to get my FMM and I also marked the purpose of travel "Business" (I believe the cost was under $25) and I traveled to Ensenada to meet with my attorney (Notary). I was able to sign all of the documents and get things in motion to change the property over to my name.

So at least as of the last month or so all that was required was to have my FMM. :)

Hope this helps others. Now off to get things permanent in my name and then to sell. It really is a beautiful area and the lots are completely empty ready for someone to build their dream home.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 09:40 AM

Denver, sorry for the loss of your dad. What part of Baja are you going to?
DenverDano

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 09:42 AM

Ensenada.

Everything is done for now and the wheels are in motion to transfer the property into my name. I do not need to return to sign any documents until the property gets sold. I am looking forward to putting it on the market but need to get through these last few hoops of the process.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 09:49 AM

Can you post some pics of the house?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DenverDano

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

There is no house, just a lot(s). Its perfect for someone that wants to build the house. My Dad had plans and was going to build it but never had a chance.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:42 PM

Yes DENNIS speaks surprisingly good Spanish!!
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly where?

DenverDano

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 10:02 AM

Quote:

I know this is an older post from when I was dealing with this, but I now have pictures, listing and an English speaking real estate agent.

If this is against the board rules, someone please remove it. Otherwise, here is a link with everything about the property.

http://www.ensenadaland.net/Ensenada/Baja_California/Lots_an...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I know this is an older post from when I was dealing with this, but I now have pictures, listing and an English speaking real estate agent.

If this is against the board rules, someone please remove it. Otherwise, here is a link with everything about the property.

http://www.ensenadaland.net/Ensenada/Baja_California/Lots_an...

Posted in the correct 'ads' forum on Nomad is permitted, here is the forum for real estate for sale: http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.