Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Jose De comondu Camping
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 12:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Just to put in my two cents worth, I tried to get through from San Javier to Comondu last Winter [...]

I found the road doable from leaving the pavement just out of San Javier until I got to an ascent about ten miles in around Monte Alto. At that point the climb involved vertical steps about a foot high with lots of loose slate. I have a foot of ground clearance and I was banging my skid plate on every one of the steps.

There were rubber marks on the bare rocks. I believe it is doable with big ground clearance, an automatic transmission and big rubber and a low center of gravity. A rock crawler type of vehicle. [...]

If we're thinking of the same spot... the worst part for me when I took this route back in 2012 was climbing the hill heading west from "Palo Chino" (which is just a couple miles west of Monte Alto you mention). (GPS: 25.9634, -111.6679) I don't think it was quite as bad in 2012 as what you describe, but it was still very steep and crumbly -- much of the road surface was melon-sized rocks. My van has 4x4 & low range -- and I was definitely crawling through here.

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 04:50 AM

The one that alarmed me was a fairly steep climb just past the side road to Los Bebelamas. Palo Chino area indeed. A side hill with a bit of a drop off. More solid rock but with hub high step ups. No one could use momentum to make it. Just low range, 4WD, automatic trans and time. Or a trials competition motorcycle. The bike guys will know about that.

With a modern bike and a foot of ground clearance I can go through places like your picture at moderate speed. Rough on the wrists and tiring but not hazardous. The washouts between the paved San Javier road and where I turned around are like that. Caution but nothing to stop for except to marvel at.

I think your picture was taken perhaps a quarter mile up hill from where I called it a day. The storms and failed attempts have eaten it badly. Your picture does not do justice to it even back then. Pictures seldom do. Down hill slowly would be much more doable. Probably ribbonslinger's rig could make it that direction. Without the boat behind!! I don't know anything about the road from there North to Comodu. Yet.

Too bad you sent that picture. Now Barbara will want a rig like it.
Ribbonslinger
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 07:10 AM

Geoffff

I read about your trips before on your bog. Great stuff!
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2014 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Your picture does not do justice to it even back then. Pictures seldom do

So true. I wish I could find a way to portray how it really felt - much steeper and scarier than how it looks.

And I felt very alone out there!

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.