BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Machiladora layoffs now hitting La Paz and the latest on the defunct Ferry.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2002 at 11:01 AM
Machiladora layoffs now hitting La Paz and the latest on the defunct Ferry.

The Gringo Gazette has a couple of interesting blips on pages 6 and 11 on these two subjects.
Machiladoras all over Mexico are closing up shop and many are moving to countries that pay even cheaper wages to their employee/slave workers. Over 250,000 jobs have gone to the Dominican Republic and other places where, instead of paying workers 7 measly dollars a day, they can be paid 1 or 2. Although I blame a good deal of greed by many businesses and shareholders for creating the "free trade" debaucle that seems to be taking from the poor all over the world right now and landing the $s in the pockets of only a few, I actually sympathize to some extent with the businesses that are caught up in this vicious circle. Unless they move to a place where they can pay the cheaper wages and keep competing, they go our of business. The whole system has turned into a monster that has a life of its own.

On the Ferries, it seems the government has taken them back from Sematur (THANK GOD!), and will be auctioning the management and renovation of them off to the highest bidder soon. I just hope things get better. A lot of people depend on the Ferries down there. There are also plans to improve the port of Pichilingue. Well and good as long as they don't mess with one of my favorite beaches.-Stephanie
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2002 at 11:02 AM

Here's the link:

http://www.gringogazette.com/southern/november04_2002/page6/
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2002 at 11:13 AM
El lino bottomo.

Stephanie -

I hate to appear to be bashing you again. I understand that you're a nice, impassioned person but for me the bottom line has to be the truth.

Your first blip states one statistic and they couldn't even get that one correct.

At it's height the maquiladora industry employed about 1.5 million workers in Mexico (nationwide). It now employes about 250,000 less - that's nationwide - not just Baja.

Working in a maquiladora is tough - but I hear that 7 dollar a day figure bandied about by people that either know nothing about the industry or who want to deceive. They invariably fail to include that 7 dollars a day is an entry level wage paid to someone with pratically no education and does not include other benefits like medical, transportation, access to free educaction, programs to allow workers to own their own homes, etc. While we're throwing about figures let's try to present the reality of the situation. But yeah - it's tough.

I didn't even bother with the second blip. Referencing the Gringo Gazette for anything unrelated to tourism or the english-speaking expat community is just silly. I''m sorry but I really feel you've wasted my time and misinformed others here.

BTW - This new-fangled forum has a feature that allows you to edit (spelling) even after the post has been made.

Take care Stephanie. Sorry.

Braulio
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2002 at 12:40 PM

Nothing to apologize for at all, Braulio. I don't require you or anyone else under the sun to agree with me politicallly. It would be a total bore if you did. I only ask that you don't go on the personal attacks that I've had to deal with so often.

In response to your comments: First, I, and the referenced article were NOT speaking solely about Baja, but the whole country. 250,000 jobs lost out of a total of 1 and a half million (your number), is around 15 percent, I believe, of the machiladora jobs in Mexico! That's a huge number of people out of work. And from what I've read and heard (living an hour away from Nogales and visiting there regularly), the whole city is in economic ruin right now from the combination of the continuing influx of people looking for machiladora jobs and the concurrent flight of those jobs elsewhere. What you see in living color in the machiladora industry is that whatever meager benefits are given by the companies that run them, can be taken away at any time. Workers have NO RIGHTS whatsoever at machiladoras and any complaint of inhumane working conditions will get you fired and get your family put on the streets. Workers are also purposefully turned over regularly, especially the unskilled female laborers, because the pool of potential replacements is great and in that way, they don't have to give any kind of senority and pay raises. That seven dollars a day number is a firm average of what machiladora workers make. There's no way around the fact that the real wage numbers are just awful. Now I've met a few machiladora workers in Nogy, but I've yet to have one tell me about all the bennies they recieve. Maybe I'm just missing something, but what I hear is that they have to work 70 hous a week, have no life outside of work, are struggling to maintain their families and see no other option but to take what is dished out. This kind of control and abuse makes the hacienda system look like a tea party.

Having said that, I still have to mourn the loss of those jobs as well as the machiladora that shut down in La Paz - California Connection. I know that one of its factories was located in a beautiful little dying mining town called El Triunfo, just south of La Paz. It is a place that has suffered outside influence for over a hundred years. The mining industry, which petered out there early last century, left the water table of the town laced with arsenic and little by little, almost the whole population deserted the town, leaving mainly the elderly and dying to populate a few homes in the middle of fifty or seventy five abandoned ones. That machiladora offered some hope to a few families that they could go back to their homes and live on their ancestral lands, but that dream has now gone dry and they will surely be forced to return to La Paz and once again abandon the homes they love.

On the Gringo Gazette: I know it's a rag, but there is nevertheless plenty of factual information to be had out of it. I often find a fair amount of intentional deceit in newspapers that take themselves more seriously, as well, not to speak of the sins of omission that run rampant through the corporate owned American papers. Both the article on the California Connection closing and the taking back of the ferries from Sematur will prove to be factually correct. I like to think I'm smart enough to separate the wheat from the chaf most of the time. And if I'm not, I have faith you will point up those instances where I fail. By the way, what other papers do you recommend that I can access online? Can I get El Sudcaliforniano or its competition (forget the name), on the net?-Stephanie
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2002 at 03:37 PM

Stephanie -

Glad you didn't take offense. I don't think we necessarily disagree politically. My issue is with people who put things out on the net that misinform or waste other people's time.

The referenced blip states very unambiguously: "...with 250,000 Baja workers laid off ...". I don't see any way to read that as Mexico-nationwide...I've tried to spin and bend it in my mind as I read but it's a straightforward statement which is incorrect. There are barely 250,000 in all of Baja that work for multi-national companies.

GG writers should stick to what they know best - Eddie's back at Las Rocas with Karaoke.

Actually percentage-wise there are about 25% fewer maquiladora jobs than 2 years ago. Cd. Juarez (El Paso) has probably been hardest hit. The 250,000 figure should be a lot higher - the author needs to do his homework.

If you want to delve into the topic let's put some decent references out there.

BTW - Why do you continue to spell "maquiladora" the way you do? Are you spoofing something? I'd hate there to be some humorous little thing that I'm not getting. Actually with the new NAFTA agreement "maquiladoras" are supposed to be kaput - the word is still used but technically incorrect. Most people in the business use "multi-nacional" or something to that effect. (now I'm splitting hairs)

Take care Stephanie.

Braulio

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2002 at 04:36 PM

Stephanie -

Forgot your enquiry.

Here's a link to mexican newspapers: they don't all have links.

In Mexicali I read La Cronica and La Voz. La Voz is especially good for classified ads.

In Sinaloa I read El Debate.

For national stuff I'm partial to La Jornada out of DF. Some of the others out of the DF tend to have strong political bents.

Traditional wire services in english do a pretty good job of covering Mexico. Use their search feature.

I've never been a fan of "The News".

A lot of the above is subjective on my part.

Hope that helps.

Braulio

http://www.prensaescrita.com/america/bajacalisur.php
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2002 at 11:37 PM

You know, I didn't read that article well after all. I just went back and looked at it and you sure are right. I guess I just blew right over the error, thinking they were referring to the stats I've heard over and over about the numbers of layoffs in Mexico. As far as your criticisms, I actually like the Gazette better than The News. The News is a slicker production, but I believe that historically, it has gotten wide distribution because it is, on most issues, pretty namby pamby, giving a good dose of the governmentt spin instead of anything too critical so it can stay in the good graces of those who might have the power to either shut it down or asassinate and editor or two. The Gazette, being published from the U.S., has always seemed to straddle the edge, speaking out about corruption in places other papers might not dare. That's why I like them. Sometimes they do have a good dose of the "superior American" idiot bias, but it's always informative to hear what dirt is going on in Los Cabos and what political strings are being pulled in La Paz.

As far as my mispelled words, it's like I say. I just don't care about spelling as much as I should. I'll try to at least spell maquiladora correctly from now on.

Thanks for the links. I'll look them up and see what I think. La Jornada is the other one that I was trying to think of the name of that I used to read sometimes in La Paz.-Stephanie
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2002 at 10:16 PM

While there are abuses by the maquiladora industries, a large portion of the problem stems from the Mexican government and it's corrupt union leadership.

Mexico has been treating the maquiladora industry as a cash cow by greatly increasing taxes, in some cases threefold. Also the fundamental relationship was one of questionable moral complicity by Mexico providing cheap labor and warranting a peaceful employee relationship. Labor unrest is squelched by companies entering into "white contracts" which effectively means paying off the unions or forming bogus unions. The workers are left out in the cold.

It's one thing for a company to treat it's employees poorly. It's quite another for the Mexican government to abuse and disrespect it's own people.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.