BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tourism/residents/light vehicles vs. commercial/heavy trucks on TJ-Ensenada coastal road (editorial)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 09:59 PM
Tourism/residents/light vehicles vs. commercial/heavy trucks on TJ-Ensenada coastal road (editorial)

I understand the concept for limiting heavy vehicles along this stretch of the coastal highway, but do they divert them at La Mision? Not allow them to cross the San Miguel tollbooth? Enforcement could be tricky. And since commercial trucks pay higher tolls, would that impact the costs of maintaining this stretch of highway?

They report the construction standards are out of date (1960s?) and commercial trucks are now larger and carrying more weight (35 tons!) So, infrastructure is not keeping up with advances in transportation equipment. (at least I think that's what it says- my Spanish reading skills are rusty)

I wonder, where do they draw the line? It seems toy haulers, large RVs and travel trailers would still be OK. They don't weigh that much more than small passenger vehicles, do they?

This seems a reasonable proposal for additional study, so it will no doubt inspire tremendous controversy at all levels of the public, trucking Business and government. :lol::lol:

http://www.elvigia.net/general/2013/12/31/prohibir-camiones-...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 10:21 PM
Trucks

I'm not sure, but I don't think Mexico has a commercial truck weight limit. I have never see any scale setups. It would be easy to have a truck scale and a commercial truck lane at the toll booths however that would not help the "free roads".

In the US, the maximum weight truck/trailer combos is 80, 000 pounds. Special permits must be obtained for overweight/oversize rigs. If you travel on US Interstste highways, you can sometimes see the effects of commercial traffic in the right hand lanes.

In special conditions (road/bridges) trucks are weight limited. It is interesting to stand on a bridge and feel the vibrations when truck/trailer combos drive by, and compare that with almost no vibrations when a passenger car/suv drive by.

Additionally, I do not believe that Mexico has any system of truck (safety) inspections like the US does.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 10:51 PM
Maintaining infrastructure is like doing housework...

No one notices it until it isn't done, or done well. And when it breaks down everyone complains!

(Related: I was driving in Mission Valley/San Diego late PM today and a broken water main diverted rush hour traffic near a major shopping mall. People heading out for New Years were pretty upset...)

Bajaguy- Good questions regarding:truck inspections, weight classes, etc. There are definitely more inspections/safety standards in the US for trucking industry.

This was one of the reasons trucks were blocked from driving Xborder into the US (altho it was also a Teamsters/labor union complaint that the Mexican drivers would be low-wage, non-union. and would undercut the rates paid to American truckers)

We all use roads, sidewalks, etc., but rarely think about what it takes to maintain those things and keep them safe, and then complain about paying for them (gas taxes, tolls, etc).

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 11:13 PM

I have a friend in the trailer business in Mexico. There is ONE scale in all of Mexico for trailers, ONE!!! The enforcement is a bit laxed when to come to weight. Most go by axles, that is why many trucks have three but will stop and lift the third before the toll, less $$$. It's Mexico.;D;D;D:P
The roads are rougher the weights are higher, most trailers in Mexico will weight about 4000 lbs more then a us trailer. Happy 2014.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 01:08 PM

Your post lacks context.
Are you saying that they are now going to stop allowing commercial trucks on the toll road? Is that what the article says?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple
Your post lacks context.
Are you saying that they are now going to stop allowing commercial trucks on the toll road? Is that what the article says?

It is it's a proposal based on studies at CICESE, in Ensenada. The link is to the Spanish news site, if you read can spanish it's much more detailed.

I've seen other articles translated to rough english, don't know if there is a website that does that but the results are often mixed.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 03:09 PM
Translation

Google Translate:

http://translate.google.com/

Here is the translation:

Ensenada, BC - With regard to the sinking of the highway at kilometer 93 of the highway Tijuana-Ensenada, Baja California, the Center for Scientific Research and Higher Education of Ensenada (CICESE) provides:

As documented in technical work undertaken since the Scenic Road Tijuana-Ensenada share your Salsipuedes section was built, the area is characterized by the existence of rotational slides dominated by gravity.

The formation of these landslides is due, regardless of size, to several factors, such as fault lines of great length and levels of contact between rock units and inclined with different physical properties, among others.

A necessary condition for the slippage is to have a steep slope that promotes movement of the mass is in imbalance.

There are natural agents "triggers" of the movement, such as earthquakes and water saturation in the pores of the sediments, to name just two, as well as "triggers" anthropic related to human action, such as cutting of slopes or excessive burden for civil works.

When the combination of vibration (as produced by the movement of heavy vehicles), water saturation (mainly rain), inclination of layers in the direction of the slope and the existence of layers that can act as lubricants, occurs movement disruption of the balance mass is highly probable.

Weather also plays an important role, since the conditions in susceptible soils are modified by the gradual along fracture planes and compaction movement.

With regard to the area of ​​93 km Scenic, virtually all studies indicate that there converge two landslides along the coast are 1.5 km wide, with headwaters located 700 m upslope.

Through high-resolution satellite images, also interprets these landslides are contained in larger structures, as if they were nested.

Unstable region

On a tour of geological survey conducted just in November 2013 in the collapsed area, staff of the Division of Earth Sciences of Cicese observed subsidence in the area where the asphalt was more concerned he was due primarily to movement parallel to the layers in the direction of the main slope, watching from the beach.

Knowing the unstable nature of the region, given to make known by researchers Cicese as Luis Humberto Mendoza Garcilaso and Francisco Suarez Vidal, as well as in other works, it is important to comment that was recently accepted a research project funded by the European Space Agency (ESA) to explore the area Salsipuedes (Sarychikhina, 2013).

It is pertinent to note that the design of the highway due to the projections made in the late 60s, when the vehicle capacity was significantly lower than the present and, above all, the weight of vehicles circulating there was much less. It will be recalled that the vehicle was caught in the slide was a double trailer truck carrying cement and whose weight exceeded 35 tons.

Each of these vehicles mean masses entering vibration when driving through that area after speeders have settled there.

One of the objectives of this road was to provide an attractive stroke tourism view, so its main use was far from heavy transport.

Remember that at that time still not building the road was completed transpensinsular.

With the observations presented in this note, an invitation is made to the various departments so that the knowledge generated in the Cicese take advantage and with the methods applied in this institution, we find through the discussion of the best solutions proposed the various problems of instability, and the most appropriate ways to use this road section are defined.

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Quote:
Originally posted by apple
Your post lacks context.

It is it's a proposal based on studies at CICESE, in Ensenada. The link is to the Spanish news site, if you read can spanish it's much more detailed.

I've seen other articles translated to rough english, don't know if there is a website that does that but the results are often mixed.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 04:58 PM
thanks again Bajaguy!

Google translate can be a good friend.

FYI, I'm on my way to Ensenada for a few days. Anything going on I should plan to see? I'll be staying in San Miguel, working on getting my casita back into livable shape. This is a very preliminary trip- I'll basically be camping in my yard, most likely.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 05:04 PM

When will you be here???

One of our local craft brewers, Tres Brewjas will be at Cafe Orleans Get Happy Hour, Thursday evening, 4PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Google translate can be a good friend.

FYI, I'm on my way to Ensenada for a few days. Anything going on I should plan to see? I'll be staying in San Miguel, working on getting my casita back into livable shape. This is a very preliminary trip- I'll basically be camping in my yard, most likely.

[Edited on 1-2-2014 by bajaguy]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 05:34 PM
Here's the translation from Spanish Direct

http://www.spanishdict.com/

Ensenada, B.C. - in relation to the collapse of the road section of the highway 93 km Tijuana-Ensenada, in Baja California, the center of scientific research and higher education of Ensenada (Cicese) establishes the following:

As it has been documented in technical work carried out since the Tijuana-Ensenada toll section of Salsipuedes scenic road was built, the area is characterized by the existence of rotational landslides dominated by the action of gravity.

The formation of these landslides, irrespective of its size, is due to several factors such as geological faults of great length and levels of contact between units of rock physical properties distinct and steep, among others.

A necessary condition to allow the sliding is a steep slope that favors the movement of the mass that is out of balance.

Earthquakes and heavy load

"" There are agents ' triggers ' natural motion, such as earthquakes and the saturation of water in the pores of the sediments, to name only two, as well as ' triggers ' anthropic, related to human action, such as cutting slopes or over charging for civil works.

When the combination of vibration (such as that generated by the movement of heavy vehicles), saturation by rainwater (mainly), inclination of layers in the direction of the slope and the existence of layers that can act as lubricants, the movement of the mass by rupture of the balance is highly likely.

Time also plays an important role, because conditions in susceptible areas are modified by the gradual along fracture planes movement and compaction.

To the area of km 93 of the scenic, virtually all studies indicated that two landslides along the coast; converge there they are 1.5 km wide, with headers located 700 m slope above.

Through images of high resolution satellite, is interpreted also that these slides are contained in larger structures, as if they were nested.

Unstable area

In a journey of geological reconnaissance made in November 2013 at the collapsed area, the Division of Sciences of the Earth of Cicese personnel observed that the collapse in the area where the asphalt was most affected was mainly due to the parallel movement in respect of the pending main layers, watching from the beach.

Knowing the unstable nature of the region, released promptly by researchers at Cicese like Luis Humberto Mendoza Garcilazo and Francisco Suárez Vidal, as well as in other works, it is important to comment that it was recently accepted a research project funded by the European Space Agency (ESA) to study the area of Salsipuedes (Sarychikhina, 2013).

It is pertinent to note that the design of the highway is due to projections made at the end of the 1960s, when the vehicle capacity was rather less than the current and, above all, the weight of vehicles circulating there was much lower.We must remember that the vehicle that was caught in the sliding zone was a dual tow truck which was carrying cement and whose weight was more than 35 tons.

Each of these vehicles mean masses entering vibration when driving through that area, then having it installed there speed reducers.

One of the objectives of this line road was offer an attractive tourism view, so its main use was for heavy transport.

Let us remember that at that time still not was completed the construction of the road transpensinsular.

With the observations presented in this note, an invitation to the different instances is so take advantage the knowledge generated in the Cicese and that, with methods that apply in this institution, we find through the discussion of proposals the best solutions to the various problems of instability, and define the most suitable forms of use for this road section.

Bob Durrell
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 05:43 PM
Ensenada travel

Bajaguy, check U2U- thanks!

[Edited on 1-2-2014 by Whale-ista]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.