Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: record # of gray whales counted in Dec. off CA coast
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 06:59 PM
record # of gray whales counted in Dec. off CA coast

A San Diego Radio report today stated over 350 whales were sighted offshore in California, heading south in December 2013, compared to 180 in Dec. 2012.

How are things looking in the lagoons?

I seem to recall postings from Nomads, stating they were seeing whales arriving earlier than usual.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 10:54 AM

Ojo de Liebre has many more whales than normal for this time of year. We are going out on Monday to see some of those cute little newborns so I'll report back. The first census should be next week.

One of the factors of why they are seeing more whales is the spectacular calm weather which makes them easier to spot and most likely a very early cold winter up north which sets them on their way south earlier.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 12:23 AM

DRATS! There were no babies yet in Ojo de Liebre last Tuesday 12/31.

BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 11:45 AM

Shari, I'm anxious to hear if some babies have been born yet!!!

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 02:21 PM

We are planning for the first week of March its been 3 years sense we were there in March cant wait
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 09:18 AM
Whale numbers update

latimes.com/local/la-me-gray-whales-20140107,0,7984818.story

Number of gray whales seen migrating south doubles from a year ago

The jump in numbers has researchers wondering if the once endangered species is growing or if its migration patterns are changing.

By Ari Bloomekatz

6:12 PM PST, January 6, 2014

The number of gray whales spotted migrating south off the Southern California coast in December was double what it was compared with the same period last year, raising questions about whether it reflects changing migration patterns or perhaps a population boom for the once endangered species.

From their perch high above the water at Point Vicente in Rancho Palos Verdes, whale spotters in December counted 364 gray whales heading south to Baja California. Volunteers counted 182 during the same period in 2012.

The record count is far higher than in 2010, when observers saw just 38 gray whales in December. The difference is prompting researchers to ask whether a migration shift is underway or if there is some other explanation.

"You can see how this year blows all those years away," said Alisa Schulman-Janiger, director of the American Cetacean Society/Los Angeles Chapter's Gray Whale Census and Behavior Project. "It will actually take some time before we can figure out why because the migration hasn't peaked yet."

More than 20,000 gray whales migrate each year from Arctic waters in the north to the shallow lagoons and bays of Baja California. Volunteers for the census project work around the clock from Dec. 1 through May 15, looking for whales from the vantage point at the Point Vicente Interpretive Center.

Hunted to near extinction in the early 1900s, the whales were declared endangered in 1973 but were taken off the list in 1994 after the population boomed.

But Schulman-Janiger said the higher December counts in recent years do not necessarily mean the population is experiencing a boom. It could just be changing migration patterns, or the fact that spotters benefited from better visibility, she said.

"What we are looking at is trends, trends in migratory timing and trends in distribution," Schulman-Janiger said. "This year, what we are seeing is a huge jump in the numbers."

Whale-watching tour operators have also seen a huge jump — in customers.

Dan Salas of Harbor Breeze Cruises in Long Beach said the "ocean has just absolutely come alive" this season.

The excitement generated by the influx of whales has drawn tourists and Angelenos to the tours in ways Salas said he has never seen. Over the last weekend, his business doubled, causing him to add more boats to the schedule, he said.

"The gray whales this year are just incredible," he said.

But the extra boat traffic can be bruising, or worse, for the whales. Schulman-Janiger said "overeager" whale watchers on boats or jet skis can run over the whales, injuring them.

"Travel with care; this is their world," she said. "I know people get excited, but you've got to give them their space."

Bob Durrell
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 11:55 AM

Hmmmm. Putting this thread together with the thread about the decline in "bait balls" in Baja makes me wonder if the lack of food for the whales portends future disaster for them? Maybe they don't eat bait fish? I have no idea. Any experts out there?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 12:19 PM
Not a whale expert !!

Its a known fact that whales like salmon don't eat when they go to spawn... and with the nice cali weather (Drought/Bad) many foklks walking on the cliffs got to see Humpbacks...greys, orca dolpins from shore and like never seen before in recorded history !! the pacific is going thru some wild changes..I have seen many things on the ocean this last year and read about that makes wonder ??? K&T:cool:
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 02:02 PM
of bait fish and gray whales- not related gastronimcally...

I posted the original topics. Thought it was interesting that we are seeing these fluctuations but they aren't really directly connected.

CaptKW is correct: grays generally don't eat during their migration. They bulk up on small critters living in the mud in shallow lagoons up north, before leaving the arctic. During El Niño years when they have less food up north, prior to migrating, many die from lack of energy reserves during the long trip south/north. They don't eat again until returning "home" to northern Pacific.

(In 2000, there were numerous dead calves and adults in San Ignacio. Dismal year.)

Some faux feeding behavior has been observed in San Ignacio, where the mom dives to the bottom and stirs up a lot of mud. Observers wonder if the moms are showing the babies how it's done, but the food supply in the lagoon is sparse compared to areas up north.

So, no relationship from a food consumption point of view. But grays may leave early for other reasons, so far known only to them. Or the weather has been better for seeing them. Or... quien sabe?

They have been migrating for tens of thousands of years and are clearly the experts on this topic; humans have only been observing them for a few decades.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 09:45 AM
Orca question ??

Has anyone seen or heard of someone seeing orca's south of point conciption?? I'm asking because last year there was a LOT!! like record setting sightings of orcas off the central ca coast..and any off Baja ???
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 11:30 AM

I believe that due to good weather, it's easier to see the spouts to count them...but as well for whatever reason the grays are passing closer to the coast this year. I dont think the numbers increased because the births recorded last year were normal and down a bit from the year before.

Gray whales "ride" currents that help them in the direction they are going....kind of like riding a bike with the wind at your back. The southern migration is typically further offshore and when they head north they stick closer to the coast where the currents help them out a bit....so perhaps the currents are a bit altered this year...or colder water out there?

But yes, I have never seen so many whales in Ojo de Liebre this early. Over the last 2 days we saw dozens of newborn calves which are usually birthed in the inner lagoon, the place you can drive out to. The town trips usually go to the mouth of the lagoon which is perhaps why Baja Luna didnt see any babies.

We saw a newborn only a few minutes old and lots of calves born this and last week and several very pregnant mommas ready to drop their calves any day.

Here are a few babies we were so honoured to meet.

this baby was resting on the mom's long nose

see the newborn on the upper right of this big momma?

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 11:59 AM
Love the baby photos!

Please keep them coming. Maybe time to start a new topic on how well the nursery is doing.

Do you know how the counts are in San Ignacio?

Thank you for sharing! They cheer me up- I look forward to visiting, sounds like the earlier the better.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 01:02 PM

there hasnt been a census taken yet...probably in the next week will be the first one...but it sure was neat to see sooooo many sooooo early in the lagoon! I was just preparing a whale report when Juan called me and came to pick me up as there was a mating trio in front of our Inn...we watched them for around an hour...so beautiful in their mating dance! pics to follow

BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 03:16 PM

woohoo babies in the lagoon!

We saw a few whales pass by our house, but none near as close as the ones you saw, wow what a treat, Shari! I wish we could be there when they head back North, perhaps we would see them swimming a little closer than we did a few weeks ago.

Keep following your bliss, Shari....and thanks for keeping up the good work!

Can't wait to see future pics!

I love hearing about these magnificent beings!

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 10:09 PM

BajaLuna...today Juan called me from his fishing panga to tell me to look out the front window. There was a mating trio doing a beautiful romantic ballet. They moved the show to your front yard for a bit and were here for over 2 hours of hanky panky!Pics tomorrow maybe if I'm not whale watching all day from the front yard! Here is my favorite photo of the day of Sirenita, Adrian & my darling Izaak who asked if the whale was going to touch him....how very astute!!! that whale stared at Izaak for a good long time and touched all of us!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2014 at 10:20 PM
Magic planet

Good on you !! " It's A good life after all" merrying,merrying down the beach !!! ( late xmas)..Cool shots !!
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 01:33 PM

OH WOW! That is magical, Shari! Dang, I wish we could have been there to witness this sacred event!

Murphy's Law, ya sit on the porch with binoculars attached to ya all day long and voila they sneak in when one is not there.

Makes one wonder, how much do we really miss when we are not where we feel pulled to be or living fully present in the moment where we are. For instance, was in my house here in WA. all day the other day, busy doing office stuff (yuck), in late afternoon said I'm sick of doing this, and walked out to sit on the porch and listen to the rain, heard a bunch of racket in the woods, and there was the biggest Paliated Woodpecker I have ever seen since I have lived here. Thought to myself, I could have missed that! Note to self: need to spend less time indoors doing mundane things! Routine boring things need to wait, there is too much to see and do in this beautiful world!

Just knowing someone (you) was there to witness their visit, makes me feel a lot better having missed it!

Izaak is indeed one astute kid, and He is one fortunate little boy!

Whales must seem like giants to little kids, they sure do to us adults! Can't wait to bring my Grandsons to Baja to see these Gentle Giants!

thanks for letting me know Shari...made my day to know of their visit!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.