Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what kinda air compressors
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-29-2004 at 08:41 PM
what kinda air compressors

do you guys use in the baja "outback". the kind for refilling tires. i need to get one in the next couple weeks and was wondering what types (brands) actually can withstand the heat, dust, vibration of baja. also, what kinds to stay (from experience) away from.

i've been rolling over in my head to get a combo compressor/battery jumper type but thought i'd ask here first.

fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 05:46 AM
air

Woody! all I can say is you get what you pay for. I use a quikair II with an external holding tank that holds 120psi so I always have lots of air handy. It only takes me 10 minutes to air my 16" all- terrain's from 20psi back up to 40psi, that's a high volume of air that cheaper units would take 45 minutes to fill. Some people carry compressed air tanks with them but I am not a fan of those. I have had my set up for 8 years now and it has never failed me. A complete system with compressor, tank, hoses, installed will run in the $500usd range. fishin rich
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

thumbup.gif posted on 11-30-2004 at 06:50 AM
Compressor Alternative...

Instead of a compressor, how about a co2 tank? "Powertank" makes a small cylinder which will fill something like 30+ tires, and they run about $370.

Check out their products at www.powertank.com

Hasta luego! Cameron

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 07:07 AM

Another alternative to a small compressor is a small (or large) scuba tank. Since we usually carry them anyway......
One 50CF aluminum tank, filled to 3000psi will fill many tires very fast. You can get an old regulator first stage and set the pressure down to the pressure you desire. Your local dive shop will be able to set you up with a cheap, used first stage.
Many dive shops in Baja can fill them again and you can always use the tank with another regulator for a quick dive, to free the anchor, run air tools, fill air matresses or whatever.

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 07:33 AM

You can also go to your local welding shop and by a co2 tank with a regulator alot cheaper than a power tank. It may not look as nice but who cares. the regulator is on 35 bucks and sometimes they have used tanks. I have two a two pound I carry under the seat of my truck. (It will fill my 37's from 15 to 35 pounds about ten times) I also have a 80 that i can take for long trips.
Good luck
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 07:52 AM

I use a Viair 500. Like Fishin Rich says, you get what you pay for. Quick connects and a portable air tank add to its utility.
As others pointed out, gas cylinders work also, but some places require a C-card to fill scuba tanks and in Baja where you can fill tanks is limited.
http://www.viaircorp.com/
Good luck! Jorge

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 06:31 PM

thanks, i was wondering about a scuba tank but now,

Quote:

You can also go to your local welding shop and by a co2 tank with a regulator alot cheaper than a power tank.

i'll investigate further...

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 07:23 PM

a scuba tank works grate but you need the primary regulator and connection also you can get second hand total for fifty bucks . they are allot cheaper to refill and there are allot more places to get them filed. make sure the the tank is in certification. or most places wont fill.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 07:46 AM

power tank .com you can reset the bead on your rim ,run power tools and fill those big ol tires in no time. i bought the 5 pounder for my quad and the ten for my truck and hve never had a problem with air again. be carefull with scuba reg. as they can freeze up if you use to much air at onr time. 4 wheel parts has them aswell as power tank.:coolup:
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 04:55 PM

I have seen DON JORGES system ... :bounce: ... and it is top-of-the-line ....
If I could only afford the truck that goes with it .....:bounce::bounce:

:o:smug::rolleyes::P:P
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Cameron wrote:

"Powertank" makes a small cylinder which will fill something like 30+ tires, and they run about $370.

$370 YOW!
SCUBA tanks can be bought second hand for far under the $150 that new ones cost
and yes they do require annual inspection but my local shop does in minutes for $10.

The tanks come with a valve but you'll also need a first stage (aka octopus) and schrader valve adapter.
Buy a used first stage on EBay and don't worry about annual maintenance if you're never going to use it for diving. the schrader valve adapter can be found for less than $10 at any dive store.

Total cost could be easily HALF of that $370 price.

Oh yeah - don't forget airfills, mine cost me a whopping $3.50 (chuckle) each time but you can fill A LOT of tires with an 80 cu ft SCUBA tank.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.