Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: motorcycle trail from San Francisqito south
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 01:11 PM
motorcycle trail from San Francisqito south

The motorcycle trail from San Francisqito south to San Ignacio on the Pacific side
Has taken a lot of damage from the hurricanes 2 months ago.. Real bad wash outs
I haven?t ridden it myself; but the information I have 2 groups have spent the night out
Sounds almost unrideable
If anyone wants more info.. E-mail me george@arvadacycle.com
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

question.gif posted on 11-30-2004 at 04:59 PM
hey George,

i got hit on my bike last week and it's totaled. Probably am now done with city/streets riding for good. I now want a dual sport so my dream of riding baja can survive. Any suggestions/recommendations? Are you a dealer?:!:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2004 at 07:35 PM
No dealer

Sorry i'm not a dealer

I do Parts, acc., used gear ,junk and repairs.
The DRZ400s is a great dual sport.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 08:40 AM

Capt. Mike, give Billy Robertson a call at Hollywood Honda. Tell him TW (Tom Wimberly) from the chessze sent you.

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by TW]
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 04:45 PM
SAN FRANCISQUITO to SAN IGNACIO ....

GEORGE ....
Exactly where does that road go ....????
You are talking about dirt only ... right ..???:o

:o:smug::rolleyes:;D:wow::yawn::P:P
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 04:56 PM

Cristobal,
The route is described in Kacey Smith's Baja GPS Guide and is for skilled riders on good lightweight dirt bikes. It follows the coast south from El Barril to Los Corrales and then to Santa Marta. I have not been been through there but went partway from the Santa Marta end and decided that I was the wrong rider on the wrong bike to press on. I will probably give it another try in the future but I'm a 60 year old rider so these days I'm getting a little more cautious.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2004 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
i got hit on my bike last week and it's totaled. Probably am now done with city/streets riding for good. I now want a dual sport so my dream of riding baja can survive. Any suggestions/recommendations? Are you a dealer?:!:

Mike,
If you're around Mulege at Christmas through New Years you would be welcome to try out the KLR 650 that I was riding when we met at the Serenidad. I ride it the 1000 miles to Mulege and then use it on the back roads down there. If I were going to haul a bike or leave one there I would definately go with a smaller, lighter bike. The 400 Suzuki's are good and the Yamaha 450 is very good. Light weight and a great motor and suspension. Try to test ride any bike you're interested in before buying. A great Baja bike is the now discontinued Suzuki DR350. Electric start, sturdy aircooled motor and generally bulletproof and a lot for the money if you can find a good used one. Also the Honda XR 400, possibly the most dependable dirt bike ever made.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2004 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
i got hit on my bike last week and it's totaled. Probably am now done with city/streets riding for good. :!:

Capt Mike, I just read all the posts over on net - wow, I sure am glad you are going to be OK! What an ordeal. I hope your recovery is swift and you get back to normal very soon.
WOW
Bob H :o

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

smile.gif posted on 12-6-2004 at 12:52 PM
mil gracias

i was lucky.... and will recover but am missing a bunch of baja trips because of it.

xmas and NY's are iffy right now. just have to wait and see. on biking - i think a dual sport best as will be more pavement than dirt but not a lot of big city traffic.
sure like the beemers but what siticker shock!:O

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2004 at 02:36 PM

Mike,
Glad you're doing well. The Beemer 650 Dakar is a great bike. Enough power for the highway and not too heavy to ride on the Baja back roads. The new GS1200 is a great motorcycle and maybe the best all around large machine out there but if you ride it to Mission Guadalupe you better have a couple of strong friends to help you pick it back up. I've done a lot of Mexico miles on the GS Beemers for a couple of articles that were in Rider magazine and while helping my friend Clement Salvadori with his Baja guidebook. Probably 4/5000 miles total and the bikes were pretty bashed up when we gave them back to BMW. And yes, 15 large is a lot of money. My old Kawasaki 650 is not high tech but it is a real workhorse that has covered many miles of back roads in Baja and brand new it runs only $5100. Good used ones for $2500/3000. Hope to see you down the road.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2004 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
i was lucky.... and will recover but am missing a bunch of baja trips because of it.

Just relax and heal. You can still puff on them thar ceeeegars, right?
Bob H :P

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.