Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: central Baja surf trip Jan. 23-27
surfyap

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 01:45 PM
central Baja surf trip Jan. 23-27

I'm heading down Jan. 23-27.

Going solo, but would be great to caravan or meet-up with anyone that is going down those dates.

Steve
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 05:02 PM

This could be a tall order as so many people have their own crew - usually small - they go down with once or twice a year. Not to mention the hush-hushness of certain spots.

are you more concerned about company for the drive or once your arrive?
surfyap

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 05:58 PM

I'm more concerned about being able to pull my vehicle out of a stuck spot. I've got the usual tools...4x4, shovels, hi-lift jack, pick-axe, tow strap, shackles, air compressor, two extra spare tires, etc.

But, the buddy system works good and sometimes faster when a vehicle is stuck.

I understand -and subscribe to- the hush-hushness of certain spots. And I lament the insta-crowd triggered by a handful of vehicles stuffed with surfers.

For nearly 15 years, I've tried to rally buddies to go. They routinely can't because of work, family stuff, etc. So, I've found myself solo several times.

Yep, I posted my query on Baja Nomad. Maybe there's a like-minded guy or 2 who happen to be going at the same time as me.

No YouTube videos. No Facebook posts. No loud babbling about "how I scored in Baja at a super secret spot" when I'm back to surfing in San Diego with a bunch of strangers.

I'll never claim to be "souler-than-thou". But I certainly enjoy solitude and uncrowded waves.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 08:34 PM

it's pumpin here today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Saweeeeeeeet

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 08:45 PM

it's the best week of surf this year, and it's only 3 days into it....

yap, just go. personally, i think it's kinda wierd to ask a complete stranger to hang out for DAYS in the wilderness! i'm kinda wierd myself so that is prolly part of my hangup. after you get back it isn't poor form to gloat, just make sure you censor any references to locations and crop any fotos.

remember, the internet is forever and most of us will know right where you were.... good luck!

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 11:58 AM

just go! doesn't look like any foul weather coming in, the surf will be happening and i bet there will be some others camped out here and there.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 01:38 PM

Wish I could have gone this week then the week I went. The "secret spots" I grew up surfing with no one else around were pretty full of surfers this year. Eeeekkk... at least everyone seemed nice. :/

Roads were all in decent/normal shape. Nothing out of the ordinary. Of course I didn't see that many fisherman this year which was interesting.

[Edited on 1-22-2014 by BooJumMan]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 05:42 PM

Getting unstuck is usually a matter of just letting air (or more air) OUT of the tires! So, don't forget that 'SECRET' of off roading, four wheeling or deep sand driving. Bring a good dial gauge (that read below 10 psi) and a tire pump or air tank to refill. A tire plug kit and air pump is also really smart to have in Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 05:50 PM

I'de go but I never surfed

And I don't like waves

sold out and got out !!!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 06:00 PM

if at all possible, outfit the woody with NDT (non directional tires) and always sweep your tracks IN and OUT and most of all don't leave any tell tail signs that could give away, well,you know! :O

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 06:31 PM

You don't need to surf to enjoy beaches, long dirt roads, desert views, and empty coastlines.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You don't need to surf to enjoy beaches, long dirt roads, desert views, and empty coastlines.

maybe not, but it helps....

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 10:01 PM

It's a mini city at The Wall right now...you'll have plenty of amigos on the Pacific Coast as the swell rages.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 10:00 AM

the waves are so great for surfing now! If you go to Bahia Asuncion, there is a safe spot to camp with facilities and there are surfers who will be close enough to help in a pinch.

Punta Abreojos has enough people that they can keep an eye out for you.

Have fun!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 10:55 AM

Talk about hitting the jackpot! If there's any week to be heading to Baja on a surf trip....this is it!

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 02:57 PM

The internet ruined surfing.:yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.