BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Whale Count at San Ignacio Lagoon?
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 11:43 AM
Whale Count at San Ignacio Lagoon?

Shari's report and count for Ojo de Liebre are fantastic!

We are going out to San Ignacio lagoon next week, and I just looked online to see what we might see there. The only count I could find says 62 adult whales, and 24 babies as of Jan 18.
Those are pretty low numbers, wonder if anyone has been out there or heard any news?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 12:19 PM
San Ignacio census

Whale census Numbers were much lower last weekend (date you posted) in San Ignacio vs. Ojo. I visited both.

Also, many fewer moms with calves were seen in the main San Ignacio lagoon- most were still in the "nursery" to the east, and moms had only recently given birth, so calf interactions with people haven't started as early as they have at Ojo de Liebre.
(Acc to Shari, whales began arriving in Ojo in December)

On the bright side: you can see/hear many whales inland from campsites like Kuyima. And the tour groups were just beginning to open up for guests. The lodge/restaurant at Kuyima campground opened this weekend, tho the cabanas are open all year.

One guide I talked with who has lived/worked in San Ignacio all his life thought it would be pretty quiet thru January, better in Feb, best in March at San Ignacio.

One speculation/theory: moms ready to give birth earlier during their migration stop in GN/Ojo which is northernmost lagoon. Those whose pregnancies are later continue south.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 04:35 PM

Thanks for your response, Whale-ista!

I've been to San Ignacio in March the past two years, and it was incredible, and
so that is where I booked this trip, as this is the time our friends will be here.
Hoping for some good whale watching, we'll see and I'll follow up after the trip.

Thanks also for your other thread, very good information.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 06:24 PM

In the past, I have had good luck contacting Kuyima through their web-site, and they should have the current count.

http://www.kuyima.com/whales/adventure.html

We probably will make it there the first part of March --- looking so forward to going back!
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 10:52 AM

As of yesterday 1/26:

http://www.bajawhale.com/capt-arts-wildlife-blog/
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 05:25 PM

Thank you Wiles!!!

I'm so happy to see this report! I would feel terrible if my Montana friends
came all this way to not see whales!

We're ready to go now!:bounce::bounce::bounce::yes:!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.