Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Fertilizer
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john68
maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I have never seen an earthworm in Baja.

Can you buy earthworms in La Paz?

Many nurseries sell earthworms.

It's a little like yeast: you need a starter batch of worms to get the compost going. So adding nutrients and moisture plus worms to soil will help your garden, and over time will create more worms.

Worms exist everywhere there is enough food and moisture in the soil to support them. Healthy soil will provide what worms and gardens need.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 07:33 PM
Flies in compost are a nuisance

ideally composting should be done in a sealed container that keeps flies out.

Flies can become a nuisance if not controlled. They can also throw the Compost out of balance and result in decomposition and bad odors instead of a healthy environment for the worms.

Meat and animal products decompose and smell. plant and garden materials breakdown with less odors.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Anybody know a good place to get organic fertilizers in La Paz?

Home Depot doesn't have steer manure, or, what they do have seems to be more like a pulverized dry powdery compost. I found a couple of "viveros" that have what they refer to as some form of plant food, but it would be great to find some real steer manure or chicken manure.

I've got a Mango, an Orange, and a Lime tree that need some nourishment. There is plenty of Nitrogen around, but that doesn't do that much to promote good fruit, just good leaves.

Sounds like you've got the nitrogen covered from many sources.

You need someone to bring you down some bags of bone meal, I'm thinking. I havent seen it in the three Home Depots or the one Lowe's I've been in, over here in Sonora. Gotta get it in the States, I guess. :(

I go with bone meal in the top three inches of my soil below nearly everything in my vege garden. About 8 inches down, I distribute some time-release flowering granules from Lily-Miller. Not organic. It's 4-10-10, for encouraging flowers. I do this at the beginning of the season.

I think if you went with some fine bone meal in your citrus circle, you'd get more blossoms. NOWS the time, blossoms should be coming soon.

Have you tested your soil?
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 08:18 PM

Some times it's good to check your soil before ya start

http://www.ncagr.gov/cyber/kidswrld/plant/soiltest.htm

Can be very beneficial in fertilizer selection along with trace elements and PH

It all helps

neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2014 at 05:39 PM
Ck out the black soldier fly....

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
ideally composting should be done in a sealed container that keeps flies out.

Flies can become a nuisance if not controlled. They can also throw the Compost out of balance and result in decomposition and bad odors instead of a healthy environment for the worms.

Meat and animal products decompose and smell. plant and garden materials breakdown with less odors.

Whale-ista;
You're completely correct wrt houseflies. Boy, do I hate them.

BSF are a lot different. They don't stink, they don't come inside. they don't spread disease, they don't become a nusiance.

They just make a good soil amendment out of stuff we wouldn't normally compost. Which was the point of the post.

Neil
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.