Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico Homeowner's Insurance recommendation/experience
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 10:40 AM
Mexico Homeowner's Insurance recommendation/experience

Homeowner's Insurance? Companies you like? Who to avoid?

So far I've come across ACE Seguros' policies (offered at a "club rate" with Baja Good Life Club). The policy info and online quote are in English and it seems ok, but I don't have experience to base it on.

We don't live in the Mulege flood zone.

Personal experiences or links to discussions of this topic are all appreciated.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Homeowner's Insurance? Companies you like? Who to avoid?

So far I've come across ACE Seguros' policies (offered at a "club rate" with Baja Good Life Club). The policy info and online quote are in English and it seems ok, but I don't have experience to base it on.

We don't live in the Mulege flood zone.

Personal experiences or links to discussions of this topic are all appreciated.

You might check with Lauri Farley ---"Lauriboats" as I remember her telling us that they had a good experience with their house insurance company while others were having a struggle with other companies.

That was in Mulege, but not on the River.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 11:41 AM

Another short thread on this topic...........

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71696#pid8802...
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 01:35 PM

We are on the river in Mulege and have had no problem with 2 floods in getting a claim filed and paid, renewal has been done after both..
we are currently covered "full"

The company is GNP.. The only thing I think they may not do is insure a palapa roof house.... (palm frawns)

Of course many insurance companies in the states will not insure cedar roofs anymore... as a side note.

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop
The company is GNP...

I think what oladulce needs is contact info

where did you go to get the insurance?
and who?

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:42 AM

I can barely interpret the convoluted Exlusions clauses on policies that are written in English. I'd be completely lost trying to understand one in Spanish. So far I've only looked at "US style" policies written in English that are offered by US/Mexican brokers.

But I'll try to find out more about GNP - sounds like they've come through when ncampion and mtnpop have needed them at claim time and I've read other positive experiences with that company.

Anybody have experience with ACE Seguros ?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:48 AM

Elena has worked with me on my home insurance for a few years now. Returns calls and e-mails. Give her a call she is now working with some of my friends here.

Elena Bretts Card.jpg - 48kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 08:30 AM

Thanks Russ, I'll send her an email. That name is familiar- Dennis has been recommending her for many years for car insurance I believe.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 09:20 AM

Expect issues if your home is not conventional construction. For example wood framed homes are unknown with regard to the record of repair for an event like a fire. The result is a big hassle and likelihood of fair reimbursement will be poor.
No issues if your home is made of concrete with a concrete roof.
Typical claims like water damage seem to have little issues.
Claims are always reduce by a factor based on the local worker wage.
Ask your Insurance person how the claims are handled. Shop agents.
PW
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 09:56 AM

Be prepared for some discussions, depending on where your house is located. oladulce.
ANYTHING south of the 28th parallel, the insurance companies consider the house in the MULEGE FLOOD ZONE, even though you may be several hundred kilometers away.
Laurie's insurance eventually came to the conclusion that they did not want to insure our house in Bahia Asunción, because of (it's) proximity to the Mulege flood zone.
Other insurers I spoke with (total of 4. Two in the southern area, and two in the northern area, none knew where BA was, even though I told them that is was about 100 km south of Guerrero Negro) quoted me rates of over $1,800 per year, with exclusions for palapa roofs, and "hydro meteorological phenomena".
No one in BA seems to have house insurance, so I went with the town's population advice, saving me $150,00 per month.

[Edited on 2-14-2014 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 2-13-2014 at 12:10 PM
Avoid Bancomer at all costs-

Some years ago (5-6) we had a hurricane walk right over our houses on Posada beach, 14K south of Mulege. A number of houses had windows blown in and roofs damaged from the 100+ winds. There was no flood damage. Four of us had Bancomer coverage and had paid in for a number of years, in my case we had their coverage (not) for four years at that point. I had $3500 USD worth of roof damage with a $1000 deductible. Bancomer refused all four of our claims saying we had inferior houses or they would not have been damaged. We eventually ran up against their bank of attorneys at their Monterrey headquarters on the mainland...end of story. Bancomer coverage is an oxymarooon. My brick Posada house was certainly not inferior (nor were the other three)-

Things are expensive, but at least we get a free trip around the sun once a year
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-13-2014 at 06:37 PM

Insurance??? My brother had some once. I'm with Udo.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.