BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Planning for 2 week road trip chrismas 03
antone

question.gif posted on 8-24-2003 at 03:45 PM
Planning for 2 week road trip chrismas 03

Hi I am trying to do some planing for a 2 week baja road trip and would love any pointers anyone has, as i have never been to Mexico at all and can not find much info on baja that i want on the net!

Here are some tenative plans:

-Leaving from austin texas headed to baja as quick as possible.
???? i have heard the ferry is good but wich one, and is that true?????
-we want to get to baja fast as we only have 2 weeks
-we are taking one small ford ranger and are curious about gas prices and quality
-our main goal is to see some the beauty of baja in the wilderness if possible not so much the cities we are the adventrous type and will hopefully sleep outside by the beech as much as possible!
-we love to surf kyak and mountain bike but dont plan on taking any gear since we are only taking one small car
-we are on a low budget but would like to see as much as possible any tips you have would be greatly apreciated
??????? a list of do's and don'ts would be great and maybe a list of must sees would be cool?????????
thanks so much for the help
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2003 at 07:12 PM

Since you're not going to surf you might want to head straight down to the Yucatan from Tejas. It'll be a lot warmer and probably an easier drive. Look at the Vagabundos del Mar and Discover Baja websites. They'll give you an idea. The Vag's also have info on the Yucatan.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2003 at 09:06 PM

I invite you to my web site, where you will see a ton of links to Baja travel web sites in addition to my personal adventure trips. Click on the link labled 'Links to Great Baja Web Sites' in DavidKsBaja.com.

Gasoline is good quality, but pricey at about $2.20/gallon at Pemex stations and $3/gallon from independents. The hurricane is heading up the gulf at the moment... so, this is not a good time to go. Otherwise, I recommend Camp Gecko at Bahia de los Angeles. Do look at their web site (turn up your speakers, too) at http://www.campgecko.com

[Edited on 8-25-2003 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-24-2003 at 09:59 PM

For backcountry travel, be sure you have the Baja Almanac (shows most of the dirt roads).

http://www.baja-almanac.com/
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2003 at 09:08 AM
2 weeks

I think if it were me, I would drive to Topolobampo, take the ferry to Pichilingue/La Paz, spend 1 night at the beaches north of Pichilingue, beautiful! Then, head south through Todos Santos and Los Cabos spending 1 night south of Todos Santos somewhere. Then back up through Santiago and San Antonio, very pretty drive, and head north to Bahia Magdalena and go see the whales. There will be some there in December.
Then, head north to San Juanico, Scorpion Bay and spend a night, then cross over the mountains through La Purisima to Concepcion Bay and spend a couple nights there. Visit Mulege and then head up to Bahia de los Angeles or Gonzaga bay to chill out from the driving you have just done.
This could be done fairly easily and is the way to "see as much as possible".
Many plans change in Baja for many different reasons. Having a planned itinerary can help but there are so many places of interest, you may just decide to stay at any one of the places I listed rather than trying to see a lot more.
This trip shows the best towns as well as some of the more remote areas. Get gas whenever possible and carry 5 gal. extra if possible. Change your money to pesos at a bank and use them everywhere.
Mexican Insurance, bug repellant, warm and cold weather clothes, a shovel and good jack are mandatory items. Good tires are also a must.
In the towns, keep a sharp eye out for stop signs and speed bumps , sometimes hard to see.
I have a lot of pics. and stories about these areas at ,
http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.