Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reccommended Restaurants for Baja Trip
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 04:56 PM
Reccommended Restaurants for Baja Trip

I wanted to thank all of you for the comments about my trip to Loreto and back.... One last one and I hope it's OK to ask in the General area.

Tell me some favorite restaurants to try between Ensenada and Loreto. I have some I like to traditionally stop at, but like to try different ones, so any you all like???

Thanks,
Ted
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 05:14 PM
If you want to try eating good food,

all of the ones with a bunch of trucks out in front of them and none of the ones with a bunch of gringo and canadian placas out in front of them.:light:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 05:39 PM
Well, lets see, there's

Mision Santa Isabel at the north end of San Quintin

Of course the fish market in Ensenada.

Terco's Pollito or the Angel Cafe in Santa Rosalia.

Dony's taqueria in Mulege (but I am NOT a fan of the "famous" papa relleno.)

Has anyone ever eaten at that truck stop in Rosarito, BCS? Always trucks there.

Also, there is a popular truck stop a few miles past the Serenidad turnoff, on the west side of hwy 1. Anyone ever eaten there?
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 06:19 PM
Marshall's Tacos

In San Quintin about 1/4 of a mile south of the big army base on the right hand side, great fish taco's.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 06:26 PM

If the "truck stop" you are referring to is south of Mulege, between Serenidid and the Pemex, it is SAUL'S Restaurant.
It has an octagon thatched roof, really good breakfasts and a good selection of tequila. I haven't tried lunch/dinner but I hear it's good as well.

Anyone (Bruce ?) know the name of the restaurant on the second floor, one block down from the lavamatica ? Although nothing to rave about, the food and drink there has been good my last three tries.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 06:28 PM

Just found out that a friend had a great steak dinner at Saul's last spring.
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:20 PM
the Cafe across the street from La Pinta in Catavina

next to the abandoned Pemex

has great food at reasonable prices

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:35 PM
El Padron (formerly La Almeja)

at the mouth of the Mulege River esta bien. Have a great marguerita and callos!!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:39 PM

Yes the restaurant just down from the Landry mat is Los Equepalos operated by Francisco marooon.

the popular truck stop a few miles past the Serenaded turnoff, on the west side of hwy 1. is not Saul's it is halfway between the Mex and el Tiburon. I don't think it has name . but I think you can tell by the number of trucks parked out side that it must have a lot of friendly waitresses or really good food . and believe me it is the later. although the people are nice the food is grate and you cant eat all you get for 40 pesos.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:43 PM

if you like Gringo stile food served right also try the new restaurant in town the Pelican Reef . it is right on the plaza in the center of Mulege

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja
at the mouth of the Mulege River esta bien. Have a great marguerita and callos!!

I Finley got you Jr. it is El Patron.:lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:51 PM
It's still The Clam

to me Bruce.
Has been one of our favorite restaurants on the planet! And thanks for the spell check:lol::lol::lol:
Late start but should be down around the 10th or 12th.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2004 at 07:59 PM

Maybe we can go out there for a cold one and some of there famous almejas Patron

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 02:56 PM

I cant remember the name of the place but its in Santa Rosalia on the right after you take the right going into town...just past the train. They have chicken with mashed pots and gravy that is great. I am pretty sure that it starts with a T. They offer rooms too but have never stayed there.
I would guess that it has been mentioned but El Rey de Taco in Loreto is THE best in my opinion.
And I agree...anytime you see the trucks stop. But I do have a story to go with that. My husband and I have always stopped if there are trucks parked in front. We stopped at one of these places between La Paz and Constitucion one day. While we were having our huevos mexicanos(we had ordered huevos rancheros but who cares), 3 of those truck drivers came in and ordered.......you guessed it......ballenas.
hasta

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 03:52 PM

In San Vicente, on the ocean side of hwy 1 just before the signal is a taco stand called Junior's Tacos--best carne asada tacos around with excellent salsas and condiments. They aren't open until around 4:00 pm. Good stuff!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 03:56 PM

Re--the truck stop theory: we ate lunch at a shack in Camalu a few years ago that had a lot of truck traffic. Huddo got shigella really bad and Juan Flaco got pretty ill too. Taco de Baja and I came out unscathed.....probably have built up an immunity by then!! The place isn't there anymore.....

[Edited on 12-4-2004 by Mexitron]
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 03:57 PM

A few favorites:
In San Vicente, Valentina's-just past the Pemex on the same side of highway. Small place with very good breakfasts and great tortas, inexpensive. San Quinten-Pollos Lalo's. Good bbq chicken. Rosarito, just before the San Borja turn off-Mauricio's. Very good machaca. Just before San Ignacio at the checkpoint is Quichule's, very good seafood and especially garlic shrimp. I have had consistantly good fish at Estrella del Mar across the highway from Playa El Coyote. A favorite in Mulege is La Profesora's in the Pemex building on the highway, shrimp with mango or tamarind salsa. As others have mentioned, Saul's La Palapa is always good and now that he has the Candil in town I enjoy going there. On my last Baja ride in October I had wonderful Birria de Chivo at the taco stand next to the Vizcaino Pemex. Muy rico!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-5-2004 at 07:30 PM
Followup

BajaJudy-I am almost certain you are describing Terco's Pollito in S.R.

Kurt-Mauricio's is the one I was thinking of in Rosarito, BCS. I love machacha!

Bruce-yes, I was referring to the truck stop between the Serenidad turn and the microndas Tiburon road. Now, get in there and research their specialty.:tumble:
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2004 at 07:40 PM

the crab feast at cielito lindo is quite good and fun!!:yes:
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 12-6-2004 at 08:00 AM
In 1983 Lulu opened her taco stand in Loteto...

and we were hooked. Still the best in Loreto we think. On the left, just after the first stop light. :yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.