BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Club Cabo RV Park?
Darcy

rolleyes.gif posted on 2-18-2014 at 09:42 PM
Club Cabo RV Park?

Baja…It is one of our favorite places. We have been many times. We have come the distance from San Felipe and/or Ensenada to the end of the peninsula and back again camping and/ or RVing along the way. Our experiences have been remarkably positive…until today. We are in Cabo San Lucas. It is the land of big luxury hotels, more traffic than any place in all of Baja and very few RV parks.
Travelers talk and one of our previous co-campers (alone and bicycling) suggested “Club Cabo”…Out of years of travel our interaction with the owner (Martin Rozendall) of that park produced the most uncomfortable experience of any trip to Baja—and within memory, any trip anywhere.
We arrived at the RV camp without reservations. The owner said that they could house us for the night but expected a large caravan the next day. We told them we were in the area for a wedding, would need the use of our pickup and would prefer to unhook and set up camp only once. With our rig it is a bit of an ordeal. If we couldn’t find a 3 day slot we would indeed stay. He recommended Vagabundos as a possibility. There is very little space in the “Club Cabo” to maneuver any RV, much less a trailer/pickup. With difficultly and snide remarks from the owner regarding driving skills we (and he) backed ours out of the way to the side of their building.
Patrick took off on the bicycle trying to locate said camp. During his absence, the owner started asking me for payment and said: “as far as I’m concerned you are checked in”. At which point, I assumed that if we couldn’t find another location he would accept us for the night. I told him I was waiting for Patrick to return and attempted to call the other parks on our list. He wasn’t gone more than 15 minutes. The owner then became insistent about payment. We reiterated that we still would like try to find a place we could stay for the entire Cabo visit of 3 days. Could we have a minute to make calls?
At which point, the owner became aggressive and yelled that he wanted us out of his property. Were he a toddler I would have said he threw a tantrum. He had blocked the gate to keep us in and had to un-block it. The entire interaction from arrival to “retreat” was less than 30 minutes. His behavior was so unexpected, physically threatening and intense. As we left my husband told him he was sorry if we had caused him any problem. His response was to tell us he hoped we had a horrible time, misdirected us and yelled that other accommodations were full and much more difficult than his to get into…within ½ hour we found Villa Serena, a much more welcoming place.

Travel is full of chance meetings and surprises. Within the hour we met a local gringa who knew this man. She frowned and said “ I know him. His daughter went to school with mine. He is a hot head. He has problems. I think he is bi-polar or something” . Within the camp there were multiple people who either personally had experience with Martin or knew of someone else who had had. With no exceptions, those encounters were dismal.

Unfortunately, the story does not end there. Three days later Martin showed up at Villa Serena insisting that my husband had threatened his wife. Completely weird and certainly untrue. This guy is a whack job!

Who knows?….but if I had it to do all over again I would have avoided “Club Cabo” like the plague—and would recommend the same to any traveler. It seems to be a place for those who wish to be abused. Before staying there I’d stay at the unattended Vista Bonita (it has water and electricity but no “security”). There is no sense in inviting the negative—and the owner of “Club Cabo”, Mr. Martin Rozendaal—is certainly that.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-19-2014 at 08:42 AM
Club Cabo

Hola,,Yep the guy is a A$$-hole and more folks need to tell other folks about him and his Actions!!! for many years he would post "Club Cabo" flyers up and down the Baja hwy and folks in the know would stop and take them down !!! surprised somebody hasn't shot him yet!! Tell All that Club Cabo is not a place to Go !!!.....K&T

[Edited on 2-19-2014 by captkw]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-19-2014 at 10:18 AM

About 20% of the reviews on tripadvisor rate it as terrible; the lowest rating. That's pretty high, really. Another two rate it at "poor".

It is interesting to read the replies by the aforementioned Martin. His aggressive nature is evident in many of them.

One poster attributed his persona to TOO MUCH FOX NEWS............LOL!
Darcy

rolleyes.gif posted on 2-19-2014 at 01:00 PM
Club Cabo RV Park?

Thanks. When this initially happened we felt that we must have done something that neither of us was aware of...Then it became weirder and weirder. Subsequently, I have read reviews on Trip adviser. According to that, this man's behavior is long term and strange. Apparently, he has his good days, but as a traveler do you want to gamble that your host is off his meds??? How he behaved with us is how he has behaved with others and his subsequent responses indicate that he really doesn't understand how absurd and out of the "norm" his behavior is...but regardless it was upsetting. No one should have to deal with that! I agreed with you : "Tell all that Club Cabo is not the place to go."
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 08:48 AM

Was contacted by owner who read what was written. Don't care to get involved.

[Edited on 2-27-2014 by CaboMagic]

[Edited on 2-27-2014 by CaboMagic]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 09:08 AM
Hola Lori

Almost every single person I have met that went/stayed there has had a BAD story to tell about C.C. for as long as I can remember...the WORD needs to be put out far and wide IMO..No one should have to deal with That BS !!! K&T " NO BAD DAYS !!"
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 07:37 AM

Today I was searching camping spots and came across this post from earlier this year. I think it should be re-posted because it may benefit people planning trips south and this sounds like a bad place to visit.

At first read, I wondered who's temper faded first but after reading the subsequent posts, I am convinced the guy working in Club Cabo is not a person or place I would visit.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 10:48 AM

the bad reviews continue ...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152515-d185667-Revi...
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 11:20 AM

maybe I shouldnt say this, but they have some great reviews also

and Martins explanation is sure different then Darcy's

I think I might go with Martin on this one

I know I am in for it
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 12:12 PM

Popcorn time! :spingrin:
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 01:29 PM

We stayed here about 15 years ago...and it was bad back then. I don't know if the wife is still around, but she was pretty nice...the guy, with his little one-seater airplanes was a jerk...and expensive! We had the nieces and the my husband's sons (all under 8 at the time), and he didn't want them to make noise in the pool! We actually stayed in the little rental apartment, which was really nice, but we didn't stay too long!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 09:34 AM
Get A GRIP !!

So far,, Darcy is the one and ONLY person ever in my life to have any pos comments in regard to "martain" a complete A/-ole.. from the KID.....:cool:
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
maybe I shouldnt say this, but they have some great reviews also

and Martins explanation is sure different then Darcy's

I think I might go with Martin on this one

I know I am in for it

I believe when a customer has a bad experience, it's up to the proprietor to make him or her satisfied if he wants his business to thrive. And on the other side of the coin, many people are ahole's themselves and start the problems but here I am, reading about people who were unhappy and the proprietor did not do whatever was needed, to make the customer happy and hand him money with a smile. That's his job weather he likes it or not and this guys not doing a good job.
DerekF

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 01:35 PM

I just stayed at CC for the last two nights. Bad, Bad, Bad. I am pretty sure the owner is bipolar. I know he hits the bottle a bit early in the day as well. And what a control freak.

Do NOT NOT NOT stay there. Got a place just down the road by about 2.5 miles that's much nicer.
DerekF

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 01:44 PM

Here's my interaction with Club Cabo from last night:
Ok, so I woke up tonight at 9:30 with a headache - I’m out of anything that would help me out so I cranked up the truck and went 1/2 mile down the road to get some aspirin.

Today when I was out - the local Canadian guy who’s lived here (at this campground) for 6 months (and his do whom you’d LOVE, Ben) to fly lil bastard - while we were coming back, Kevin (the Canadian) points out a piece of wood that he’s had his eye on for a couple of days and is scared that someone else will take it. We talk about going back to the campground and getting his truck, but we somehow got distracted.

Flash forward to my headache. I cranked up the truck, went out, and on the way I see the piece of wood (yeah, it’s awesome, I must admit) so I picked it up for Kevin and threw it into the back of the truck.
I get my aspirin, start driving back, get into the gate and then drive over to Kevin’s house. I put the wood down on Kevin’s porch as Kevin (who’s just woken up) comes to his balcony. He thanks me profusely for getting it, let alone delivering it - then out of nowhere, the owner comes out asking what’s going on. I told him the story and said that I was delivering it to Kevin (mind you, the wood weighs about 65-75lbs).

Now, when I had arrived I noticed some, lets say, “unique” things about the owner.

#1 Control Freek
#2 Mentally unstable
#3 Forgets conversations moments after they’ve happened
#4 Sets rules for “his” campground that don’t apply to him (e.g. dogs MUST be on leash when in the campground, but outside is ok, but, his 5 dogs can go and do as they please)…

Long story short, when I came back down from Kevin’s house after a 5 minute conversation, he was standing there with his arms crossed as if he was Hitler. We had an argument in which I told him that I was a paying customer, and had paid my dues, would be leaving tomorrow and he could pack sand. He got pretty belligerent with me as he was walking away but there was nothing else to write about.

Bottom line, I’ll “review” this place in the local websites, but know this, this guy is CRAZY. Do NOT come here…

**UPDATE** The internet has been down for about 3 hours (ok, 2+ or so) - look, I’m paying this guy a PREMIUM here in Cabo at $100 for 3 days. That’s almost double what I’d pay at any of the other 5-6 campsites.

I went over and knocked on their door, they came to the window and I told them that the internet was down. I got some BS about it could be the provider (mind you, i’ve connected to more than one other hotel within range and had successful connections) - he and his wife get irate and threaten to call the cops. I mentioned to him that his website and the sign out in from claims “Open 24/7”. He then told me that “You’ll be gone tonight”. I calmly told him that I’d paid him for “Full service” and that if he was “ 4/7 it shouldn’t be a a problem for me to come and express my complaints at 1030pm…..He threatened me again, of course I could care less, because it’s a bluff…. Then he actually picked up the phone, after his wife came over and cursed at me thru the window. Ohhh! Scared Derek!!

I have every confidence in the guy who’s staying here (Kevin and his cool dog Ben) that the owner(S) are crazy. I mean, I got that sense of the guy the second I started to pull in to the campground. I didn’t care, I was only going to be here for a couple of days. Oh well. I don’t like to trash anyones business unless its REALLY needed - but in this case, when I do write a review, it’s not going to be nice.

The cops aren’t coming - I know this - he’s crazy. It’s now a full 2 hours after it all happened, and if he’d called the cops, because we’re less than a mile from downtown Cablo San Lucas, IF they’d accepted the call they’d have been here by now.
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 03:54 PM

WOW, good for you. How full was the campground?

Thks
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 06:27 AM

We stayed there once years ago. We really compared him to Norman Bates. Still laugh about how bizarre the stay was.... Wouldn't consider going back! WEIRD!!!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 07:15 AM

You can tell by the proprietor's attacks on the people who write negative reviews, that he has no concept of customer service.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 07:21 AM

Yep, stayed there in the late 90s and the guy was very verbally abusive. Stay away if possible.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.