BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to obtain Federal Maritime concession?
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 03:58 PM
How to obtain Federal Maritime concession?

All of the discussion regarding Udo's property woes makes me curious about the process for obtaining a beachfront concession on Federal Maritime land.

Are there any Nomads who have done this who would care to share their experiences? I have a rudimentary understanding of the process, but would be interested in details, e.g. duration/renewal of the concession, upfront and ongoing costs, how to initiate the process, etc.

Thanks

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by danaeb]

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 04:44 PM

It is doable.

Begin with a notario as Lic. Gerardo Sosa of Tecate. Put him in full command of your project from selection of approved architect, builders etc., through renewal of your three 10 year leases.

Here's an example of a Notario lookin' to offer this service.

Posted for some information only. Not intended as a referral.

http://adip.info/2006_2007/dec/11-federal-zone.html

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 10:32 PM

Go to Semarnat, make an application, which will require a survey and possibly an ecological study, pay a minimal fee and wait about a year for acceptance or rejection. The fees for a maritime concession varies from city/county to county, the most expensive being Los Cabos in Baja at about 7.00 pesos per meter per year for an ecological concession.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 12:06 PM

Thank you both, Paul and Jeff, for the information.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 08:23 AM

We applied for a Federal Zone concession in 2006 and finally got it in 2009. Used a facilitator who felt that it was easier to deal with the SEMARNAT office in Mex City than La Paz in the 2006 era. I think our application got lost in the shuffle between the main office and local branch and I would not recommend this approach.

Paid $1500 dollars or so to set it up- some of which was for the facilitator fee, topographical survey of the Federal zone coordinates, photos and environmental assessment of the area which are required along with the application. A facilitator isn't mandatory for the application but you'll need help with the survey and maybe environment assessment of your zone.

There are different classifications of concessions which permit different activities in the zone. An "Ornato" concession is probably what you'll want. It allows you to "use,occupy, and enjoy " the area.You may not build permanent structures. I was told once that palapas are ok but nothing that involves concrete for example.

You may not block passage (pedestrian) to the beach but part of the verbage says you'll promise to help protect the environment of the concession area. "Ornato/Protección" does not allow you to charge a fee for camping nor does it specifically permit vehicles in the ZFMT.

We pay $5400 pesos/yr. It's a 15 year permit. There's no breakdown of the fee on my receipt so I don't know the $ per sq/meter cost. Here's the link to an application.

http://tramites.semarnat.gob.mx/index.php/zona-federal-marit...

You may never have a problem in the area between you and the water but you may sleep better if you cover your bases to reduce the "what if" possibilities.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 09:23 AM

Also, your fidei bank is named as the concesionario on the Federal zone concession and you are named as their "fiduciario". I don't know why, because your property and the zona federal have different coordinates and seem like different things entirely but maybe foreigners can't hold a concession in their own name . Anyway, your fidei bank has to participate in the application process and of course they will charge you for this service even though they don't actually provide an service :rolleyes:

The bank's fee was part of the $1500 we paid. After the application the bank is not involved and your yearly concession fee is your responsibility.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 09:35 AM

Oladulce, thanks for the detailed reply. We are also thinking about getting a concession for the federal zone property in front of our house near Loreto. One question. One of the main reasons for us is to be able to "legally" launch our tin boat (using the car) from our beach. We understand that it is not legal to drive our car on the beach, although the locals drive up and down the beach regularly. It sounds like the lowest level concession does not allow you to drive on the beach. Is this your understanding?

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 10:18 AM

Russ might have a better understanding of boat launching on your own concession, ncampion. I've scoured our concession and done online searches for the specifics of vehicles in the federal zone and have not found specific verbiage that says you can or can't drive with an ornato concession. It just says you will monitor and protect the environment from damage and you must not block pedestrian access to the beach.

Fishing co-ops obtain a different type of concession and I don't know if it allows them to specifically to take vehicles to launch.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 10:51 AM

Thank you so much Oladulce for this detailed info. The protection of the view is the main objective.

BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 11:22 AM

this is a great thread, thanks for starting it!! I too appreciate any info anyone can lend to this subject.

Oladuce, this is great info!

On our property there is 2 lots, one we have the house on that sits to the back, and the one in front of that is a vacant piece of land and we own that too, but in front of the vacant land there is a small piece that is federal zone.

I'm a little confused but admit I haven't done any research online on this subject, or educated myself yet on this topic. But we are wanting to do this ASAP, if we can! So I am really glad to see this thread!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 01:27 PM

So am I Bajaluna!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.