BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New La Fonda. Old La Fonda or is that Older New La Fonda?
Ricky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:47 PM
New La Fonda. Old La Fonda or is that Older New La Fonda?

Food Fight going on between two La Fonda. The reason is meaningless to me, but Sunday tried to park and check out both buffetts before going to either one. But as I got out of the truck, was asked which one I was going to by the guard boy, because if I wasn't going to his La Fonda (let's just call his the south one) I couldn't park there. I said I don't know, but want to check them both out. He again informed me to move the truck , blah blah, blah. I sad fu#k you, and parked across the street. We ended up going to the North La Fonda, it looked a bit better.
Because of the stupid treatment, I don't think I'll set foot into the south La Fonda.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 03:50 AM

I think there is the original La Fonda and another Little La Fonda next door, probably just trying to drum up business for the Little La Fonda. In any case neither one is new, the original La Fonda is the much bigger place. I haven't been to Little La Fonda.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 09:07 AM

the recently reopened south la fonda is dmytriw's original bar and restaurant, a typical mexican labor dispute had dmytriw open the north la fonda in his home, when youre sitting at the bar you're in his living room. you were just a victim of an overzealous parking attendant but yeah, you don't owe either one anything and as a customer you're gonna go with the best food and atmosphere. competition between the two can't hurt :coolup:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Food Fight going on between two La Fonda. The reason is meaningless to me, but Sunday tried to park and check out both buffetts before going to either one. But as I got out of the truck, was asked which one I was going to by the guard boy, because if I wasn't going to his La Fonda (let's just call his the south one) I couldn't park there. I said I don't know, but want to check them both out. He again informed me to move the truck , blah blah, blah. I sad fu#k you, and parked across the street. We ended up going to the North La Fonda, it looked a bit better.
Because of the stupid treatment, I don't think I'll set foot into the south La Fonda.

Aside from the parking, how about an actual restaurant review? What did you eat/drink, and how was it?

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:00 AM

smells like a troll to me.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 11:46 AM

I had the exact same experience 2 weekends ago, we just went there to check the surf and the parking attendant on the Southern end kept trying to get us to come in, but whatever, that's the way it is. Didn't get mad, but I wasn't sure what was going on after everything happened.
Ricky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 04:55 PM

Troll? Who are calling a troll? I stay at a friends house in La Mission quite often, and often had meals in what I'll call North La Fonda. Had drinks in the Southern La Fonda, they were ok the views were great. They just have to figure out how to treat customers. The problems between the respective owners is meaningless as far as customers are concerned, just don't pick on us, we are the ones with the money to spend!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 05:05 PM

That is the same reason I quit going to La Fonda 10 years ago. I hated getting into arguments with the guards over parking.

So now I stay at Poco Cielo.

Quote:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 05:09 PM

The little La Fonda, Dr. is about 100 feet south of the La Fonda Spa. Its where the original restaurant was before they turned it into a bodega/storage.
I always wondered why, it is a much more decorative and old style restaurant.
I have no idea how the food is there, however. The north restaurant, I heard several people got sick, and waiters were kinda snooty.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I think there is the original La Fonda and another Little La Fonda next door, probably just trying to drum up business for the Little La Fonda. In any case neither one is new, the original La Fonda is the much bigger place. I haven't been to Little La Fonda.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
The little La Fonda, Dr. is about 100 feet south of the La Fonda Spa. Its where the original restaurant was before they turned it into a bodega/storage.
I always wondered why, it is a much more decorative and old style restaurant.
I have no idea how the food is there, however. The north restaurant, I heard several people got sick, and waiters were kinda snooty.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
mexico law protects the worker, who will sometimes go out of their way to get fired so to collect severance pay. this is what happened in dmytriw's case, so joe just moved his business next door, to his home.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
He again informed me to move the truck , blah blah, blah. I sad fu#k you, and parked across the street.

If you threw profanities at the parking attendant, I would say he won the class war.

Stay classy Ricky!
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 5-30-2014 at 08:13 AM

Drove down for dinner the other night and was perplexed when we walked into the "new" La Fonda, which is the old La Fonda but now redone and is the same location as the old La Fonda, just south of the "newer" La Fonda. Are you as mixed up as I am? Anyway, the waiter explained to us the changes and encouraged us to eat at the new/old La Fonda to the south. He said Dmytriw owned the place again, and lo and behold, there was Dmytriw sitting at the bar. We sat at our table, ordered drinks and food for 4 people. Two of us ordered the lobster feast, which for $26 was outstanding. Two of us ordered the fish taco's, which were not that outstanding. The margarita's are still delicious and, sensing a trend from other times I've ordered the lobster feast, you get complimentary Mexican coffee for everyone at the table. We were celebrating a birthday and had mentioned it to Dmytriw when we walked in. Before our food came, he walked over to our table with a bottle of Tequila and 5 shot glasses and we all toasted our birthday girl, compliments of the house. He shared with us that the owners that purchased the place from him stopped paying on the loan, which was with him. It took him about 6 years in Mexican court to finally get the place back. It does appear that the two restaurants are competing with each other, at least the waiters are. We've always enjoyed eating at the old La Fonda and the new La Fonda and we all agreed that the north La Fonda has the better atmosphere with candle lit tables, a stage, music, and dancing on weekends and that the "new" La Fonda is much brighter and not as cozy. It seems like the food is the same at both places and I am personally very happy that Dmytriw is back at the helm. As I mentioned, we have eaten there many times over the years and we have NEVER gotten sick or encountered snooty waiters or rude parking attendants. Go figure!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.