Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto or La Paz for Island/snorkel trip
BG_PDX

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 05:36 PM
Loreto or La Paz for Island/snorkel trip

Hi Nomads,

Great forum with great info! First time posting here, first-time visit to BCS planned (have traveled a fair amount around mainland Mexico).

We are planning a fairly fast-paced (I know, I know) car trip down the peninsula in in June. We will be visiting both Loreto and La Paz, but will only have time to do an island visit/snorkel/etc. day trip from one of those cities. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of doing the Espiritu Santo/Los Islotes thing from La Paz vs. Isla Coronado or Carmen or Danzante from Loreto?

As I mentioned, this will be in June (so some kind of shade canopy on the boat would be welcome) and we will be traveling with kids aged 11 and 13. We do plan to do some shore-based snorkeling in Cabo Pulmo, so hopefully this won't be our only shot at checking out marine life.

Thoughts?
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 05:44 PM

I have never been to Loreto to snorkel but I can tell you the island trip from La Paz is well worth it!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon
I have never been to Loreto to snorkel but I can tell you the island trip from La Paz is well worth it!

Agree... we did this and it was great fun (photos in my July 2012 trip report).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 05:53 PM

La Paz or Cabo Pulmo .Fast paced ? whats that mean . I'm in Portland Or and and know both destinations well. Truck and boat live in La Paz and have driven the peninsula many times.

Drive with caution and dont rush .
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 05:59 PM

I suppose I am prejudiced but I think you can't beat La Paz for the trip out to Isla Espiritu Santo. There are a good number of pangas with shade covers for rent downtown and out at Tecolote to take you there and beaches and bays on the island are gorgeous.

At night you can safely walk the malecon with all the other families. There are bike rentals, lots of "kid-friendly" restaurants, ice cream parlours and even a skateboard park along the malecon.

Our grandkids, 11 and 16, love it!
BG_PDX

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 06:05 PM

Lengua,

Oh, to clarify - by "fast-paced" I don't mean speeding, but rather not spending as much time at each destination as we would like (and skipping some places we would like to visit entirely).
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 06:14 PM

I Have freedived both and the are both very good . The boat rides are the same to islas . They will have the same fish and sights, I would pick based on your travel schedule
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 08:59 PM
I'm confused !! (nothing new here)

Is the boat ramp at Puerto Escondido closed for good ?? from their out to the island is very,,very short run and a good dive at times.....ive been to isprito santos well over 50 times and only found halfway good diveing on the east (wind) side and the "normal" side has been dismo for me....
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 09:40 PM
Loreto Sea and Land Eco-Tours

You'll be treated to a lovely day in the water by the locally owned and operated English-speaking guides. They'll give you an experience of the area's marine life that's fun, educational and always sensitively aware and respectful of the environment.

Here's their phone number: 01 613 135 0680

Here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loreto-Sea-and-Land-Eco-Tours...

Owner-operators Sara and Juve are the best!

edited to add that Sara is really, really good with kids

[Edited on 4-17-2014 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 10:01 PM

There's a lot to be said for snorkeling at Los Isolotes at the sea lion colony there. Stay off the rocks, and respect the males that come by to let you know you've come close enough. Memories that last a lifetime - and probably pretty perfect for 11 and 13 year-olds.

Really.

I've found it the most productive use of time and funds to hire a panga at Playa Tecolote instead of from town. Leave early, and return ahead of the Coromuels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coromuel

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
I've found it the most productive use of time and funds to hire a panga at Playa Tecolote instead of from town.

YEP! We did this back in 08. Arranged it right on Tecolote in the AM and had a blast!

http://youtu.be/28BsRDAXouk
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs

http://youtu.be/28BsRDAXouk

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 10:28 PM
Los Isolotes

Good points DOUG... I ran many boats out to I/S island with guest's/tourist.and and set the hook in "partida" for many a night...I found,that the dive/ snorkel was better on the other side if not blown out !! also Isle San Jose has a NICE sweeping beach on one side.......reminds me of a "Three hr tour" heh,heh....now your supposed to secure (buy) a biosphere permit (wrist band) to go to Isprito.....agenda 21 is coming in !! and your call on leaving Early is on the money...Staight up.....cerrovlo channel and island is the also very overlooked in the LA PAZ area ..and has GREAT diving/snorkeling/fishing area if you get the chance!!!! K&T:cool::

[Edited on 4-17-2014 by captkw]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 10:53 PM

BG_PDX

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 03:52 PM

This is all great information, thanks!

If we opt for the La Paz/Tecolote approach, is this the kind of deal where you just approach a likely panga on the beach and negotiate a day out (which I probably have enough Spanish to accomplish, barely), or are there boats obviously decked out for hire? And (here's where I show my real naivete) do most of these guys have life jackets or do you bring your own?
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 05:30 PM

I went with Carey Diving; not sure if they are still around. They were fine - we went with the sea lions, then to a small coral reef for snorkeling, then they fed us lunch on the beach, and I think we went somewhere else, too. I would reserve in advance - they might give you a discount if you do. They had all the equipment you would need. Generally you don't use life jackets. You use BCDs and weights.

http://inlapaz.com/dive_sites.html

At the bottom of the page there is another link to some of the dive shops.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.