Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cabo Pulmo in June?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 09:59 AM
Cabo Pulmo in June?

I have a few weeks to head south in early June, returning end of the month.
Been hearing good things about Cabo Pulmo for diving/snorkeling.

How is the area for camping?

Will June be a good time for activities in the area between La Paz/Cabo, or already too hot?

I'm thinking of first heading south for initial activities, then returning north as the south heats up.

This trip is something I haven't done in many years, and welcome suggestions about places to visit along the way.

Thanks!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 11:25 AM

June is one of those months that can go either way. Some are pleasant, some are HOT.
The good news is that the northern wind that stirs up the sea and makes visibility low should be gone.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
June is one of those months that can go either way. Some are pleasant, some are HOT.
The good news is that the northern wind that stirs up the sea and makes visibility low should be gone.

thank you. good to know.

are their dive/snorkel/boat operators? Or good kayaking locations?

any suggestions on places to stay, camping preferred, or pet friendly hotels also appreciated.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 05:05 PM

X2 Bajajudy

Warm or Hot, don't bring a jacket...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 07:00 PM
pulmo

Hola,, as soon as cabo pulmo was possible might get park status the locals started fighting among themselves and fences went up ( so sad) and I belive that they are still up today..if you drive 3/4 klick's past CP you will see a fine white sand road to your left and it winds down past a ranch (on left) and opens to a nice arroyo at the beach..Awsome snorkel and views...one of the best beachs in Baja IMO and free camping..."Carrol de los frallies" is the name ..but, now the new folks call it by some other yahoo name...and heading a bit further south is the fish camp& gringo camp on left (nice) north of los frallies proper and west of the mountain,, with a beach side well..if you go to "carol de los frallies hike/walk out to the end of the peak and ck-out the COOL "moon" rocks. (at waters edge)....a MUST do !! BTW bring more supplys in with you than you think you could ever use...because if you find where i'm directing you to ..Its very hard to leave....ENJOY K&T . :cool: PS and please post when you return !!!

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by captkw]

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by captkw]
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 08:36 PM

Sounds excellent! Thank you!!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 09:16 PM
DE Nada !!

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 05:20 AM

8 km south of the town of Cabo Pulmo is Los Arbolitos beach and camp area.

It is free or was when I was there a couple of years ago and wonderful.

Google it.

I would not recommend the Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort and their cabins to anyone for anything. Horrible experiences there! And costly.
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 06:36 AM

The beach was called Corral de Frailes or Mermaid Beach. It now has a gate across the entry road that is closed at night. Now it is called something like Rancho Los Arbolitos and is sort of controlled by the ranch family about half way down the entry road.

The roundish rocks are called Dinosaur Eggs.

Immediately north of Cabo Pulmo is open to camping but has only a rocky beach and a limited boat ramp. The gate has not been locked for a couple of years.

Beach at Los Frailes has the fishing camp and a limited area to camp on the sand but away from the water due to the Park's people making the tin boat guys pull their boats away from the waters edge. Camping in the trees is very popular during the winter as is camping on the west side of the road in the arroyo. In June it will be deserted.

X2 CP Beach Resort. Try Cabo Pulmo Bungalows instead. Will be HOT, no groceries past La Ribera.
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 06:36 AM

Los Arbolitos is now gated at night for the ranch's concerns..best free camping Los Frailes river bed. Best pet friendly housing search internet websits for Reinhard's Rentals, and Baja Bungalos
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 09:41 AM
Cobo Pulmo

Since 1979 the arroyo that "FLOAT FLYER"gave Good Info on and I/me has been called by me and other locals the "Corral de los frallies"" NOT los arbololitos...get a grip..also canyon del sol waterfall( el moyo) has been called just that till recently been renamed "El Zoro".......jeeez....whats next.....TJ is gets renamed the gateway ???:?: btw Ive got time around cabo polmo than most have in Baja !!!! K&T:cool: wheres Vandy ??
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 11:13 AM

There's an arroyo there now???? Well, I'll be damned. When I was there a long time ago there was a weird guy on the beach we all called Captain caca. He's probably long dead now. Used to work on boat motors but some of em caught on fire so he lit out I guess. Do you remember him?
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 12:26 PM

J une might be hot but the water temps will be warm & nice. Arbolitos is a very popular spot; beautiful beach and access for snorkeling right there. Not very private as there are lots of daytrippers. June crowds?? don't know. Frailes might offer the best camping as it's a larger area and close by. Baja Bungalows rental is very comfy as is Reinholdts but for a weeks stay could cost you a few hundred bucks; worth it for a few nites, tho. Pangas & kayaks available for rent at the main beach. Drop me a line when your trip gets close. Always fun to hit the East Cape beaches! Tio

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.