Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sad but True Re: The Amigos Board
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 11:21 PM

Sorry if it sounds cliqueish... Not so...

If you read my post you will note that if you 'share Baja' (everyone who posts on the boards falls into this catagory), and you email me your desire to be invited, friendly to fellow amigos... I will invite you!

The first (to room capacity) to respond (RSVP), are in. This is because it is an indoor event, and there's only so much room, sorry!

Viva #1 had 50 guests, Viva #2 had 67, Viva #3 had over 105! Viva #3 was the last party before I had to become more strict... A few people who were invited, just showed up without sending an RSVP. One called me the morning of... I couldn't say no to amigos who wanted to attend our Baja celebration. I really want as many of you, who want to enjoy being with your fellow Baja nuts, to come, as possible.

But, we were at room capacity and it wasn't comfortable for many folks (nobody complained, because Baja people are very adaptable).

I announce the party date (email invitations) about 2-3 months in advance. So, there's plenty of time to send in your dinner check/RSVP. The restaurant needs an accurate count, etc.

It was suggested to me to send the exact party location to only those who RSVP'd to prevent the same situation, and that worked perfectly. Viva #4 was a full house, but not stuffed.

I would love to have a place that could hold 200, but they are expensive, and we are saving money for Baja trips and toys, right? Smaller restaurants don't charge for the room, if you eat and drink there.

If you guys would like to get together in an outdoor setting, and maybe do a pot luck (like Debra recently held in the Seattle area) then I guess I wouldn't need to be secret about it, right?

We did these in the evenings before because we had some great video presentations and slide shows (Graham Mackintosh & his burro, Lorenzo de Baja movies of 1963 Central Baja on his Honda 90, Marv Sherrill's oceanography class field trip to Las Animas, El Camote's Matomi & BBBB videos, and more). We also do a 'Baja Show and Tell', and have lots of great door prizes (hotel stays, Capt. Mike's Screaming Airlines ride, books, Discover Baja and Baja Portal gear, tequila, and more!!!

So, you see, I put my heart into helping all of you get to meet each other and have fun too.

{After Viva #3, a very small group began to not like my positive, 'share Baja' with Baja amigos attitude, or just misunderstands why I do what I do. So they put a bunch of effort in trying to make me sound bad or to embarrass me with rude photos or silly cartoons or steal Viva Baja stickers off private property. I have attempted to make peace multiple times, without luck...}

'M' saw a need to do this get-together thing (in Baja), where there are no room space problems, and created the BBBB (Boojum Buddies Baja Bash). 'Boojum Buddies' is what I called all of us at the first Viva Baja, and M did a fantastic job putting her gathering together.

So, I hope you all understand why Viva Baja has been by invitation. Certainly not to exclude any friendly amigos. Please email me at the address in my web site, put Viva Baja in the subject line. You will be added to the email book for Viva Baja guests... fair enough?

Please see all the photos from the Viva Baja parties, listed in my web site. They all sure look happy... :yes:

[Edited on 8-29-2003 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2003 at 12:07 AM

David -

Thanks for the long reply - but it really wasn't necessary. I guess more than anything specific my thoughts were based on how I felt people react to one another on the boards.

My only point is that the bottom line for the board's existence ought to be the honest, unsugar-coated, dissemination of info about Baja. The good,bad and ugly. The friendship stuff is great - but to me it's secondary.

Maybe I'm wrong - of course the only opinion that really counts is Doug's.

Take care man.

Braulio.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-29-2003 at 07:20 AM

Hi Braulio, I was mostly replying to 'el fino' and others. I do try very hard (too hard?) to be understood, because a few loudly misunderstand me.

Communication is very important. People can read something I wrote and take it 180? the wrong way. I want to learn how to avoid that! For example, up this thread, Wild Bill thought I was somehow calling him a liar, but Jeff understood what I was saying... You see, it is all about what you think my intentions are.

Also, I took the opportunity to basically invite you all to the next Viva Baja... No clique, just space limitations.

I agree that these Internet Baja discussion boards are for information exchange, primarily. Friendship is just a fallout result of our sharing information. Eric (of Amigos) told me that the friendships created from our association was the greatest success indicator of his web site.

Baja Nomads are what we all usually are, traveling about Baja, solo or in small groups. It just is so neat to see how much we enjoy swapping stories and being together once or twice a year.

Have a great day/weekend!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2003 at 04:41 PM
Braulio and David K.

Thank you both for this exchange. Maybe this will help others understand. I have to admit, do get 'testy' when I hear the old "clique" "private" thing come up over and over again......."M's" BBBB is a great way to handle the space limitations, but, she does also request an RSVP and gather money to handle her wonderful catering (I still don't know how the heck she does that!) and the camp fees, she does this out of the love in her heart FOR US, David does the same thing with his Viva Baja parties, difference is (as David has stated) his are inside and he has limited space to deal with, so.....he has to have an invite only type thing,.....and as has been stated again, and again.....all anyone has to do is email him (he's said that about a killizion times!) and ask to be included the next time he's planning a party (seems pretty simple to me) There is no 'clique' or 'private' when it come to Baja nuts......just people wanting to learn from others and make new friends....I might make a suggestion to David, since you have such wonderful weather that you can count on in you area, maybe next time you might think about doing what I did and just rent a park, make it a 'pot-luck' less pressure for the host (you can enjoy the folks, and not have to work all the time)........and the 'invite' only thing will once and for all be solved.......?????? Just an idea, might solve the problem of people thinking they have been left out. Debra
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-29-2003 at 08:23 PM
KERI'S PLACE is tops for a party!

do the Pyramid. no, i was not compensated to post this. that place is perfect for parties! plan them DK and M!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.