bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 09:26 AM
Take your asprin

Scientific review finds aspirin significantly cuts cancer rates

Published August 06, 2014
Reuters

Taking a small daily dose of aspirin can significantly reduce the risk of developing — or dying from — bowel, stomach and esophageal cancer, according to a large review of scientific studies.

Researchers who analyzed all available evidence from studies and clinical trials assessing benefits and harm found that taking aspirin for 10 years could cut bowel cancer cases by around 35 percent and deaths from the disease by 40 percent.

Rates of esophageal and stomach cancer were cut by 30 percent and deaths from these cancers by 35 to 50 percent.

Professor Jack Cuzick, head of the center for cancer prevention at Queen Mary University of London, said the evidence showed that, to reap the benefits of aspirin, people need to take a daily dose of 75 to 100 milligrams for at least five years and probably up to 10 years between the ages of 50 and 65.

No benefit was seen while taking aspirin for the first three years and death rates were only reduced after five years, he and his team reported in a review in the Annals of Oncology journal.

"Our study shows that if everyone aged between 50 and 65 started taking aspirin daily for at least 10 years, there would be a 9 percent reduction in the number of cancers, strokes and heart attacks overall in men, and around 7 percent in women," Cuzick said in a statement about the research.

But the researchers also warned that taking aspirin long-term increases the risk of bleeding in the stomach: among 60-year-olds who take daily aspirin for 10 years, the risk of digestive tract bleeding increases from 2.2 percent to 3.6 percent, and this could be life-threatening in a small proportion of people, they said.

"Whilst there are some serious side effects that can't be ignored, taking aspirin daily looks to be the most important thing we can do to reduce cancer after stopping smoking and reducing obesity, and will probably be much easier to implement," Cuzick said.

Aspirin, originally developed by the German drugmaker Bayer, is a cheap, over-the-counter drug generally used to combat pain or reduce fever.

The drug reduces the risk of clots forming in blood vessels and can therefore protect against heart attacks and strokes, so it is often prescribed for people who already suffer with heart disease and have already had one or several attacks.

Aspirin also increases the risk of bleeding in the stomach to around one patient in every thousand per year, a factor which has fueled debate over whether doctors should advise patients to take it as regularly as every day.

Cuzick said the risk of bleeding "depends on a number of known factors which people need to be aware of before starting regular aspirin" and advised people to consult a doctor before embarking on daily medication.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 09:59 AM

Thanks, "Doc":biggrin::cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 10:22 AM

No problem, I'm here to help and I have the hands of a Sturgeon.....it's easy to cut and paste!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Thanks, "Doc":biggrin::cool:

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 10:41 AM

I've been taking an aspirin (325 mg) every day for about 8 years. I have recently been bothered by tinnitus (ringing in my ears). I stopped taking the aspirin when I read about a correlation between the two and the problem decreased. I'm going to resume the aspirin but take a smaller dose, which is usually recommended.

"Certain drugs -- most notably aspirin, several types of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, sedatives, and antidepressants, as well as quinine medications; tinnitus is cited as a potential side effect for about 200 prescription and nonprescription drugs."

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-tinnitus-ba...

[Edited on 8-6-2014 by SFandH]
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 10:43 AM

Here is another article :

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/0...

I hear the whales song
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 11:17 AM

I have been taking aspirin for 40+ years with no apparent side affects.
I recently had a pacemaker installed and was asked by the cardiac unit that installed the device who recommended the daily dose of aspirin. I told them I started taking aspirin based on an informal discussion with a doctor 40 years ago.
Based on reading bajagrouper's article I'll make it a point to discuss the taking of aspirins. The cardiac unit discourged me from taking Alive

bacquito
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
..... The cardiac unit discourged me from taking Alive

You likely meant Aleve:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-1289-naproxen+-+oral.aspx?drugid=1098&drugname=aleve+oral&pagenumber=6

Don't believe everything you think....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
Here is another article :

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/0...

Thanks. Dr. Mercola has a non-traditional view about western medicine, which makes him interesting. I'm going to look into what he said in the article.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
..... The cardiac unit discourged me from taking Alive

You likely meant Aleve:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-1289-naproxen+-+oral.aspx?drugid=1098&drugname=aleve+oral&pagenumber=6

YES, thanks. Alive and doing well!!

[Edited on 8-6-2014 by bacquito]

bacquito
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 05:24 PM

Just tonight on CBS their on site doctor stated that aspirin prevents several types of cancer
Go figure!! :o:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.