Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Portable floor fans
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 02:15 PM
Portable floor fans

Can anyone recommend a low draw floor fan (2) to run at night in the heat, off my solar system?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 02:18 PM

You could tie a pigeon to the headboard and a cat to the toeboard of the bed. Easy way to ensure air movement. :)
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 02:27 PM

:spingrin: That's funny . . . the pigeon 'n the cat.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 02:38 PM

we use are the cheap o2cool DC fans from walmart, like 15 bucks and work great! they're designed to be ac or battery dc powered, what I did was just hard wire a 6ft cheapy extension cord into what was the 12 volt battery compartment, we wired each outlet with both an AC and DC receptical. our refrigeration is DC so at night the inverter goes off. expect these fans to burn a mere SIX WATTS. works for us!:yes:

[Edited on 8-9-2014 by willardguy]

[Edited on 8-9-2014 by willardguy]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 02:39 PM

$20 home depot...50w on low
don't over think it

fan.JPG - 44kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 02:41 PM

:bounce: eat more frijoles :o :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 03:14 PM

we just use the normal oscillating floor fans. They draw very little wattage.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
Can anyone recommend a low draw floor fan (2) to run at night in the heat, off my solar system?

Hey brewer,

I know you asked about floor fans which we use also but we installed ceiling fans from Lowes. Many of the low end fans use very little watts. For instance we have a total of 7 ceiling fans throughout the house each one uses only 8 Watts on low, 26 Watts on Medium, and about 68 Watts on high. None of these came with light kits either and are pretty basic but come in several finishes. Check out Lowes and start reading boxes, the info is large and right there.

The floor and table fans usually don't give the Watts at least on the ones that we have.

See ya in Baja...

BW

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 10:23 AM
As advertised on TV

The Dyson fans do not have a rotating fan blade. Here is an actual customer review:

I couldn't decide between the Dyson Pedestal fan and the Tower Fan, so I went ahead and bought both to compare. Yes we kept both as well.

The Tower fan is great for the Living Room or family room for it stays more compact (slim and low profile) and spreads the air less concentrated on one area.(high and low)There is no adjustments that can be made on this fan, meaning no tilting or bringing the unit up and down. What you see it what you get

The Pedestal fan is great for our bedroom; we have a really high bed. At the highest point of the pedestal fan it's even to where we lay. Since the Fan is more like a standard oscillating fan, the air is more concentrated to one area, so at night we through it on medium to low and let it keep us cool at night. The pedestal fan can be adjusted to the height by simply pushing it down or pulling up on the actually circle part of the fan. (The frame tube extends or compresses - very handy and fast to do) Also this fan has a tilt. (The circle head part can be aimed where you want it) This fan is a little bulkier needs more room then the tower fan. (Due to the adjustments and the diameter or the circle part when oscillating)

On both models the High setting does a lot of air, at a louder noise. We joke about it and say the jet is taking off, for the fan does lean back a little when we turn the knob up. Set up of both fans is quick and very easy

The remotes are very handy and awesome. To store the remote it's a magnet in the fan and in the remote, so just lay the remote on the fan and it sticks

Overall Great Fans, if you can get over the Price of a $450 fan, you will be happy with it. They do have a 2 year warranty with Dyson, so that is nice. Our fans always break after 1 summer; these fans have been going strong for 1 year now, still no problems.

Both fans have the same amount of air coming through them on high settings, so there no difference in power between the two models.If you don't mind paying$450/ fan

[Edited on 8-10-2014 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:
Originally posted by brewer

Hey brewer,

I know you asked about floor fans which we use also but we installed ceiling fans from Lowes. Many of the low end fans use very little watts. For instance we have a total of 7 ceiling fans throughout the house each one uses only 8 Watts on low, 26 Watts on Medium, and about 68 Watts on high. None of these came with light kits either and are pretty basic but come in several finishes. Check out Lowes and start reading boxes, the info is large and right there.

The floor and table fans usually don't give the Watts at least on the ones that we have.

See ya in Baja...

BW

use one of these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Kill-A-Watt-Electricity...

anyone with solar should have one.
AguaDulce
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 12:27 PM

I am on the pacific side, has anyone had any luck with floor A/C units? My 35 foot trailer unit on roof is broken and I have been told they are not as efficient as advertised. I was going to take it off, cover the hole and look for other/cheaper options.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.