Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Update: Bringing Frozen Fish To Mexico
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
When I leave Colorado , for Baja each year, I have a good size freezer of Elk and Antelope, with a bunch of Pheasants thrown in for ballast....Using weebrays logic this is almost all wasted....Danged if its not all gone when I leave, with a lot of smiley friends in the wake.....

I'm sure there's a valid point here. I guess if you're not from Canada you don't get it. I'm not, I don't.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 05:26 PM

I don't doubt it...........

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
So? rent yourself out as a thermometer......Regardless of all this theoretical BS, I suspect most of these fish (and game) are eaten and enjoyed....Eat spam, if you wish....

Theoretical? You Suspect?? Now there's a real scientific answer. Go tell it to the theoretical one thousand tons of dead Bluefin rotting in your local dumpster. This isn't some theoretical game of scholarly elitists. Go back to your satellite TV. If you don't have anything to say don't say it here.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 06:15 PM

Well, I actually don't have TV at all, havnt for 6 or 7years now....I have not noticed thousand of tons of tuna rotting in my dumpster here in Colorado (don't have one)....Please produce a picture of 1000 TONS of dead Bluefin rotting ANYWHERE...PLEASE!...If you cant produce facts...go elsewhere....

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 06:24 PM

Who caught those blue fin? I wasn't some guy off a sport boat. Weebray you seem to have a agenda that all sport fisherman are bad or if I take 8, 10 fish per year I am exceeding YOUR limit.
The issue here is, the over fishing of bait fish,commercial harvesting of stocks of fish, gill nets and trawlers. Did I leave any out?
Sportsmen fought to stop gill nets in Calif. Sportsmen fought for slot limit's. Who started the Catch and Release of Billfish, Rosters. I can go on, it was not Greenpeace, or pita. The folks that are trying to control the fishery's are sportsmen You can't see that.

For the last 10 years I get a 50% but they do give the bellies and cheeks.

Weebray you have a cause I understand that. I am done here. Please refer to the bottom of my page.

[Edited on 8-21-2014 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 06:28 PM

I just got here, tons of rotting televisions! OMG!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I often wind up with 400# to 900# of processed tuna we go though it in a year, some is Christmas gifts.

Congratulations, You just became my poster boy for exactly what I am talking about - out of control overfishermen. I printed your post to show to my friends when making a point about the senseless slaughter of a precious resource. You prove my point. Let's look at some facts here. Frozen fish is good for about 3-4 mo. before it starts to degrade. Especially tuna or salmon which are very fatty fish. Cod, catfish, triggerfish, etc. can be successfully kept for up to 6mo. This assumes it is frozen almost immediately after being caught. Four hundred pounds of fish equals 800 or more servings. We love fish and eat it 2 or 3 times a week but if I served my family 800 fish dinners in 3 or 4 months there would be munity here. The only way to change this statistic is to serve fish that is over 4 months old. I owned a retail fish market for ten years and I know that frozen fish over 4 months old is only fair to poor to eat. You can tell me all day how you vacuum pack and freeze it under the most rigorous of conditions (which by the way, you don't), it's still bait after 4 months. You're not going to cop to it but I know you're throwing a bunch of fish away. Case dismissed.
You just proved you don't know what you are talking about. A piece of king salmon that was properly handled, vacuum packed, and immediately frozen will still be perfectly edible after 6 months, striped marlin and wahoo keep the longest, they will still be good after a year. I have been catching and preserving fish for 30 over years and I can't remember ever throwing out a piece of fish. I can tell you that 100 lbs. of king salmon is nothing, after a few smoker loads and dinner parties, I'll be ready to load up on wahoo, marlin and dorado, ask my neighbors who I also keep supplied with fish, if they think I keep an unreasonable amount. I observe all the sport fishing limits, but apparently, you believe that's still excessive. You can sit on the dock and eat tofu, but I'm going to continue to catch and eat fish.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 08:37 AM

Update: Some bonehead fisherman from Colorado somehow mistakenly grabbed my 2 fish boxes and flew home with them. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to get them back from the fishnapper. When I flew into Los Cabos yesterday I stopped and asked the jefa de aduana exactly what the reglas were for bringing in fish, she told me that as long as it was not carnada, it's ok to bring. I also asked if there were any limits on the amount that one could bring and she said no.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 09:21 AM

So he got all your fish? That's bad.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
So he got all your fish? That's bad.
Yep. I'm still trying to figure out how someone can make a "mistake" and end up with 4 boxes of fish instead of two, with 2 of them having someone else's name on them, especially when he had to retrieve them from the freezer and haul them to the Alaska terminal in Sitka and check them as baggage.:?:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.