Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: east cape sashimi
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 12:25 PM
east cape sashimi

I remember an old post talking about favorite types of fish for sashimi. Yellowfin and Yellowtail certainly made the list, but I kind of remember a specific type of bonito that was highly thought of. Anyone know what bonito species and how to identify it? How about other favorites? Do you bleed fish you plan to eat raw?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 01:18 PM

Chulas, Mexican bonito. I don't eat sushi but all my fishing pals say Chulas are the best. They have sharp teeth and hang out at 150 to 300 feet of water in big schools. Bite thin silver salas type lure jigged. Great skipbait for those of us who don't favor sushi.
mikeymarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 01:20 PM

probably--- white bonito--- they (I think ) are the species in the east cape
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 01:33 PM

Hola wsdunc,

you should bleed any fish that you intend to eat, not just sashimi ( raw ).

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 04:01 PM

IMHO Trigger fish are the best.

Bob Durrell
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 11:55 PM

Bonito (or Bonita) is exceptional as sashimi if fresh and well prepared as to bleeding first and keeping it on ice if you can. I did a blind taste test with some snob fishermen friends of mine who consider Bonito trash fish (and to be fair, most fishermen think this way)...same plate with fresh Hamachi and the Bonito won! Not the best to freeze but when fresh fresh fresh it is outstanding.
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 02:45 AM

Marlin is the bomb. Tastes like a rare beef. Has good texture needs nothing to taste.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 10:49 AM

Desert Rat. Can you run that by us again. Are you saying you should bleed any fish you caught that you intend to eat raw?

If you don't mind, and if you have the time, please let us know your source for such a broad pronouncement since there are gazillions of kinds of edible, catchable fish.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 12:04 PM

i gotta believe it's standard practice to immediately bleed a fish whether or not you are eating it raw OR cooked...just ends up being a lot better quality product...and i think we all know that chucking it into a cooler of ice is also recommended.... my favorite sashimi is geoduck, by the way...with yellowfin close behind.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 02:11 PM

Desert Rat. Can you run that by us again. Are you saying you should bleed any fish you caught that you intend to eat raw?

If you don't mind, and if you have the time, please let us know your source for such a broad pronouncement since there are gazillions of kinds of edible, catchable fish.

Hola Osprey,

if you reread my post, " Hola wsdunc, you should bleed any fish that you intend to eat, not just as sashimi ( raw ). "

anyway, over the years, i have been bleeding almost every fish i catch as it makes the meat much better by removing as much blood as you can. i currently do not have a written source but it is common practice on most party boats and long range boats to bleed fish, especially tunas, white seabass and larger yellowtail.

myself, i go a bit further and bleed my fish as i catch it. calico bass, rockfish, barracuda, etc. i just cut a gill or two with with a pair of sidecutters ( dykes ).

if you will, the next time you go fishing, cut the gills on one fish and mark it by clipping the tail and on a similar fish, don't bleed it and when you fillet the two, compare the meat and you will see the meat in the one you bled will be whiter, hence. less blood to spoil the taste.

I will post on fishing websites and also write to SPORTFISHING MAGAZINE and see if i can find some documentation on the practice and i will post again for your information.

when i lived in los barriles, whenever we caught tuna, yellowtail, amberjack, pargo or red snapper, we bled them and we served some as sashimi and was enjoyed by all that ate fish raw.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 02:33 PM

Thanks a bunch Rat. It's a broad subject because you can't always be in your own boat. I'm so busy keeping mine cold (with permission of the boat owner) that I rarely get a chance to bleed fish. I keep it all fresh and vacu seal as soon as soon as I hit the house but from rod to house in Mexico, with friends or on charter you can't always do what you please and you have to follow the law about no fileting on the boat. It does little good, I think, to bleed dead fish and since you should always try to kill the fish first, there's a real time thing going on especially if the bite is on and you're busy catching more than one fish.
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 02:46 PM

Thanx to everyone, hopefully I'll get a chance for a taste test in a few weeks.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 02:53 PM

Hola OSPREY,

here are a few youtube postings showing that i am not the only practitioner of bleeding fish.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsJ5BBh9wQ

flickandflyjournal.com/.../the-basics-killing-and-caring-for-your-catch/

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/cleaning-fish/cleaning_fish.ht...

do you need more evidence of the practice ? if so, i'll find a more definitive article on bleeding fish and why.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 03:08 PM

Hola OSPREY,

OOPS ! i posted my reply before i saw your post.

I agree that it does no good to bleed a dead fish. need a beating heart.

i have never had any problems with bleeding fish even in an exceptional bite and then putting in a kill bag with ice. even the pangeros we use in the las arenas/muertos bay areas do not object to the practice EXCEPT on a wahoo, which i fully agree. TOO DANGEROUS ! my friends and my sons bleed fish on a chartered boat or even on an open party boat and long range.

also, bleeding a fish in mexican waters or anywhere does not constitute filleting and is totally legal anywhere.

you can also spike the fish if you want to stop it from jumping around and then bleed it as the heart will continue to pump.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 03:32 PM

I think some of you are confused about sashimi. Fish intended to be eaten raw (sashimi) is killed instantly by a spike to the brain and immediately put in a slurry of ice. The purpose is to kill the fish instantly and thereby minimalize lactic acid. It is not necessary to bleed the fish. Fish treated this way will be excellent raw for several days. Commercial fishermen do bleed the large tuna by cutting the gills on both sides. They do it to cool the fish down by removing the hot blood. BTW to really qualify as sashimi grade the fish must be processed with sterilized equipment in a separate area from other food processing. It also should be frozen for at least 7 days at -20C to kill any parasites.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.