Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Coco
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2014 at 11:28 AM

Thanks for the tip DK and thanks to all the Nomads and non-Nomads that have helped Coco over the years.
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2014 at 04:28 PM

I haven't been to Baja California in 30 years, you guys make me feel like going soon. Waiting for retirement!! Very nice people!:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2014 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deportes
I haven't been to Baja California in 30 years, you guys make me feel like going soon. Waiting for retirement!! Very nice people!:yes:

Coco is cool... and he has been there at an oasis he made to provide cold beer and sodas to dusty travelers... with the dusty days coming to an end as the highway construction arrives, in a few years.

July 2012:

Nov 2006:

Jan 2005:

July 2001:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2014 at 11:36 PM

Great pics!!!!!!

The new road is going to change things but at least Coco won't go days without seeing anyone and he'll have more supplies. Hasn't happened often but to roll up there and have him gone...well, it just wasn't right.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 04:47 AM

The new road is 5 km west of him. He is already complaining about people driving by without stopping.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ehall
The new road is 5 km west of him. He is already complaining about people driving by without stopping.

??

The original plan was the highway would be about 2 km. west (on the El Camino Real route and the old Chapala/ Las Arrastras road). Later it was reported to save money, they would use the current graded road route in front of Coco's.

The new road construction hasn't reached his area yet, so I am confused?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 11:24 AM

There are survey ribbons and stakes to or near the Las Arrastras area. I haven't looked close enough to see if they head west away from the graded road. I don't recall anything closer to Coco. I'll check it out next week when I'm down there.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 01:18 PM

I was looking at an old map that shows the old road from Chapala to Las Arrastras. The flags on the topo map correspond to the pins on the Google Earth maps Starting at the ranch west of Cocos Corner. Cocos Corner is labeled CC on the topo. From pin 2 to 6 they pretty much follow the same path.

The middle section

The Laguna Chapala end

This is the GE version with the old road in blue. The present day graded road is gold colored.

The pins correspond to the flags

Lake Chapala end
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 06:18 PM

Yes, the only part of the old Arturo Grosso 1955 road that is not close to the 1983 graded road is where it goes by the ranch west of Coco and down the gully to the valley where it meets the 1983 road, which went east around that big hill, south of Coco's.

That road was so bad, nearly all traffic in the 60's and 70's went south/ north via Calamajué Canyon to El Crucero (or the water road short cut made in 1973 for highway construction). The NORRA Baja 500 (to 1973) used the old road from Chapala north.

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 11:30 PM

I guess that Mexico being Mexico, we'll just have to wait and see where the road goes but will be very interested in the TW update in a few weeks.
Muddyrabbit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 07:48 AM

My wife and I are just starting to plan for our February-March trip to Baja from Ohio. We love visiting Coco, and I was getting ready to ask the same question about things he needs or likes as we very much want to bring him something. We will be traveling by motorcycles, but I think we can manage some tomatoes and such. Thanks for the tips, and I will try to check back when we are close to see if there is anything specific he is in NEED of.

Legislative Affairs Liaison, Ohio Motorized Trails Association
www.ohiotrails.org
NOHVCC Associate State Partner, Ohio
www.nohvcc.org
United we ride.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 08:01 AM

After I took this picture Coco whispered to me "sometimes is good to be short"..:lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 02:01 PM

He certainly knows how to look at the bright side of things!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 08:00 AM

I delivered his new wheelchair, and supplies on Friday the 19th. Thanks go to JohnM and his wife. Will do a report in a few days with pictures.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 08:02 AM

Fantastic. He must of survived the storm. Looking forward to your trip report.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.