desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 04:56 PM

:o:o:o
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 05:24 PM

I had similar questions last year, and after some research here on Nomad and elsewhere, went with a Callen camper shell- taller than basic shells, metal vs. fiberglass, no built in cabinetry etc..

They have sliding windows w/screens, crank-up top on roof, full width double wide doors for easy access/loading in back, small window into cab to pass gear and small dogs, not people. Built to last. They are built out of steel frame with aluminum outer shell, insulation, faux wood panel interior, and keep out Baja dust, wind, etc.

Not sure about weight but much less than ones w/built in cabinets, sinks, water tanks etc. But I usually camp solo- wld be pretty cramped for 2 to sleep inside. And I did have air bags installed to smooth the ride when carrying lots of gear.

I installed it on a Mazda B4000- had a 4WD Ranger 10 yrs ago with a Leer fiberglass shell. It took a beating, cracked in some places and leaked dust on the roads out to the coast from Hwy 1, so I opted for the Callen steel/aluminum design this time. No problems w/cracks, dust etc.

As for finding one: Callens used to be manufactured in San Diego so there are many used ones available locally. Not sure how many made it over to AZ.

Check CraigsList for used ones.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/4629202927.html

Mine is taller than cab high, with small storage (no bed) above. It is 8' long from cabover to rear door (I can carry a small kayak inside), 6' long in bed of truck, about 60" tall so I can stand (hunched over) inside (I'm 5'7").

Basic, simple, strong, keeps me warm/out of wind in winter while whalewatching, tho a bit too warm in summer, but that's what swimming/kayaking/Pacificos are for.

Happy hunting!

[Edited on 9-1-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 10:14 AM

The perfect answer to the wife's 'Small Camper Dilemma':

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 10:21 AM

Ride Rite Air Springs (Bags) by Firestone were terrific when I added them to my 2005 Tacoma which had too soft rear leaf springs, and bottomed out with heavy loads on bumps. The air bags worked perfectly to raise the truck to level and no more bottoming. I also upgraded the rear shocks to Bilstein 5100s.

The Ride Rites never needed more than 35-40 psi with my biggest loads in the truck. Normal daily pressure was at 15 psi. Mine were installed at Off Road Warehouse in Escondido. The 2010 Tacoma springs were much improved, so I haven't needed the Ride Rites added to it, but I have them from the 2005 when I traded it in.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

Nice.....um, how you using the funnel though?
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 11:19 AM

funnel's for me... either goes into my gray-water dump via a small garden hose or the hose dug deep into the sand....

Under the seat a 5 gal. bail bucked fits perfectly, or for short camps a quickie cat-hole, works even in sand. When I had a camper, I fashioned a small simple box-frame enclosure out of 3/4" PVC w/tarp and small bungies that attached to the side of the camper.
:light: Necessity is the Mutha of invention.

[Edited on 9-2-2014 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 03:13 PM

that's works
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

That thing is just plain NASTY:o:lol:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 05:47 PM

...ONLY 'TILL YOU NEED IT... :yes:

...not to mention, it's over 30 years old, been to Cabo and 9,000' high elk hunts, and all points in between. I have a covey of women who will testify to its' soundness, and please notice the arm-rests for comfort.
:P

and post-post-script, I have a new seat in the carport for it, i'll replace it as soon as I finish filling out my P of A application form.

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 05:57 PM

Not cheap and made to order

http://www.outfittermfg.com/campers/new-campers/caribou-lite

Check out the comparison sheet with the small 4Wheel camper. Many of the extras for 4Wheel are standard with the Outfitter.

This extra lite model is fairly new. We had the bigger Caribou on our older Tundra --- like loaded and we had air bags. Only problem we had was 2003 Tundras had the smaller brakes --- not good.

They only sell direct and really hold their resale value. They are making these for trucks like the Tacoma.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Make up your mind. Looked into this once, then decided that this is too much compromise with not enough comfort. It's difficult to make the right choice of course when your partner has her own ideas.

Fixed camper is the cheapest, you can find one under $600, thought might need some fixing. Pop-ups are costly, the one in the link above is not the most expensive yet. I don't think there is THAT much weight savings in a pop-up, compared to fixed camper of same length and width. 14ft-15ft cabover pop-up would weigh 1,900-2,000 lbs and a lightweight fixed camper would be 2,000-2,100 lbs. Though a good lightweight camper - don't know, like Bigfoot maybe - is usually a new-er model, you won't find it for $600.

A four wheel pop up camper for your Tacoma will weigh under 700 lbs dry...and will last longer than your Toyota. My first four wheel camper lasted through four toyotas and 12 years... And, I sold for more than I paid after those 12 Baja years! Currently on my fourth FWC.. None have had a toilet, wife doesn't seem to mind yet
All terrain camper would get my money(if I had any) for a new buy though..
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.