Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Credit card rip-offs in Baja...Guess it's my turn
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 12:32 AM
Credit card rip-offs in Baja...Guess it's my turn

Got back from La Paz on the 17th. I just happened to call my credit card company to get a code number that had rubbed off the signature area of my card two days ago, when they told me that they'd like to verify some flagged charges. After ticking off hundreds of dollars of charges at businesses that I would never frequent like dry cleaners and pastelerias, starting after I left Mexico, we cancelled out the card and started the theft reporting process.

A number of wierd things, though. 1- The credit card company says the card is being used to make these charges, but I've never been out of posession of the card. 2- I just found out that two of the charges were made in "Mexico, DF" (Mexico City), and "Ciudad Deme", wherever that is.

From those two facts, I've surmised that it sounds like a pretty sophisticated operation. Anybody here had any experiences with this particular scam that might be able to clue me in on what's going on?

I have read a lot on the various boards about credit card rip-offs in La Paz and Los Cabos, but my luck didn't run out till this trip. Just lucky as can be for the credit card company that those numbers got rubbed off my real card. Who knows how high the charges could have gone had I not called them. - Stephanie

[Edited on 8-28-2003 by Stephanie Jackter]
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 08:28 AM

WOW -- big bummer! I hope you are able to get everything worked out.
I know that some times 'baddies' get a receipt ( either yours or the stores copy) which has the numbers on it and can start charging but I am not to sure just how. Also the "PROS" have a devise that if they run your card through it it can copy the magnetic info. on the back-- whih that info and a copy of your receipt they can MAKE their own card (they have blank card ready to impression).
But it is really the card companies fault for all the thefts and illegal usage as they don't want to "burden" the card carrier with HAVING to prove they are authorized to use the card. Imagine what woud happen if it was 'REQUIRED' to have a thumb print on the store copy before they(the store) would even access the card. Crooks would KNOW they were leaving a permanted record of their crime. But 'They' (the card companies ) just write off the losses and raise everyones interest rate.

To make this post even minorly (if thats a word) revelent to Baja -- who did the Scuba class for you daughter? (not person but facility) Would you recomend them? where exactly? I'll put it in my files so if asked I can point the way :D
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 12:05 PM
Ah, interesting

So, they can actually make duplicate cards, ohhhh!

That's a really good idea about the fingerprint. The credit card company just said they would send me a card this time with my picture on it, which I thought was good, especially since every merchant I dealt with in La Paz required me to show my driver's license. But what good would that do in this case when I never lost posession of the card? I don't think it's the credit card companies that wouldn't go for the finger printing, though. It's all of the people (and I've included myself in that company many times), who are worrying about big brother tracking our every move. But that's what the credit card companies do anyway, so it's probably a moot issue if you think about it, huh.

I'll write you about the Scuba in a seperate post when I get a chance.-Stephanie

La Paz is where the info got ripped off, so it's definitely related to Baja.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 01:12 PM
DF charges

when I got my bill after visiting Puerto Vallarta last year,there was a charge from DF...what it turned out to be was a charge I had made but it went to their corp.offices in Mexico City.hope everything works out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 07:45 PM
Yes They Can!

Yes they can duplicate your card. Machines can be purchased off the internet. Go do a search in the hacker/cracker websites. Most commom method in Baja is to make extra copies of charge slips, in the US all you need is the #. They can do cell phones too.
I was ripped off for over $3000 in Ensenada by the operators of the Campo Palaya R/V park by the duplicate charge slip method.
I went all the way with this when It was discovered but it was too late. I even came back to Ensenada from Texas and went to the tourist bureau, they run it in to the ground because eveything has to be typed in legal spanish and notarized 10 different ways and I would have to hang around 3 months. I went to the Vagabundo's, Gringo Gazzette, and Visa and nobody cared. we were told we were stupid for using a credit card in Mexico in the first place (Our first trio) The long time residents of the park told us this was common with R/Vs from out of California?Arizona area because they are not likely to get bills soon. If you are over the dead line YOU PAY! While we were at the park complaining (second trip) some people with boats who had stopped overnight came to the office complaining of theft from their boats. Not getting any satisfaction and having been tipped off by some permanent residents that the night watchman either slept in his car all night or was activily involved ,they forceably searched the premises and recovered their property from were it was hidden in the buildings, this is about the time the cops arrived and commenced the" Killemall , let god sort em out" attact so I booged out for that day.
That soured me on Ensenada for a long time but I am older and wiser now.
Do not let any one take your credit card out off your sight for 1 second! Even in a 5 star place unless you can write off the charges. This goes for your cell phone too!
AS Reefrocket said the card companies do not care, they are going to get paid either way. Credit card fraud is not limited to Mexico. In Las Vegas I had a generator repaired by the large local Cummins dealer. Much later I noticed the bill had been submitted again some months after I had paid Master card. I went by Cummins and got no satisfaction, got no satisfaction at Master card. Went to my local bank where the manager was a personal friend and told her my story and showed the bills. She said hang on let me call Cummins, I just signed a contract with them for $68000 worth of geneartors and Ill bet they talk to me!!
Too make a long story short the Cummins book keeper had been double billing for years and had made 100s of 1000s that way. When some one complained he simply said it ws a mistake, appoligsed and everyone was happy. The day I went he was out sick the first time in 15 years!!
The next day he was out for ever(So where the Parts guys) and I got my credit!! Sorry for the long post,
PS The R/V park owner is one of the richest men in Ensenada, wonder how??
Sgt Bob

[*] posted on 8-29-2003 at 06:20 AM
thieves!!!!!!!

:fire:Wow! More bad news !!
I guess it happens to everyone. I was ripped in Phoenix at the Love's Truckstop where I had to leave my card to fill up! The only time my Visa card was out of my sight!
Several days later I get a call from Fraud div. of Citi bank, and they have some concerns! They said an unusual pattern and $2000.00 of charges at the smoke shops and a Cadillac dealer. I don't own a Cadillac nor do I smoke . Another day or two Fraud calls back and asked if I know a "Richard Wilson". Nope! ,apparently they had nailed his ass cold at the dealership and he had told them that "I had authorized him to use my card".
I told them to have him produce my card that I have in my possession and to tell them who I was and what I looked like.

Text!!

I have 3 offices and 3 homes . Arizona had changed phone area codes again and the Fraud divison had spent almost a day trying to reach me.
As noted above, it is generally an employee and you have to push sometimes to get something done.
I know, because it happened to me with one of our trusted employees and we are still paying for it !!!!!

Sgt Bob

[*] posted on 8-29-2003 at 06:26 AM
I am learning

In the post above I made a text goof.?
I wanted to post a warning and ouch, I goofed!!

Always make sure you provide your credit card companies with all your current addresses and allyour phone numbers!!:Droll

Matt

[*] posted on 8-31-2003 at 07:46 AM

bummer.same thing happened to me in the cabo area about ten years ago.no longer do i use a credit card down there, and seldom here.(a scam was runnin' at our local blockbuster video which nailed several customers including me(to the tune of 1, 500.00 big ones.)
Baja Babe

thumbup.gif posted on 8-31-2003 at 12:57 PM
Might help

I call my CC company before we go to Mexico and tell them when we will be returning. They like this and it relieves you of some of the liability.:bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.