BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Help – Robert Thomas Revalee A 68 yr old Sgt E5 USMC Has been in Jail in Ensenada for over 3 months Please Help if you can
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:12 PM

OK, thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Marita-LosOlivos
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Where did the accident happen (locaton) and who was deemed at fault???

The accident happened in San Quintin on the Old Mill road.
Bob was blamed for the accident.

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:27 PM

Bob was in an accident . Bob is being blamed for the accident (possibly vehicular homicide) . Bob has a lawyer but the lawyer has let Bob rot in jail for 3 months with no visitation. Bob needs new better lawyer. Bob will need lots of cash to get him out of this . If you are sincere about helping Bob I would suggest you start talking to lawyers and trying to raise money.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilmikey7
Well this guy got into bob's lane and hit him and the guy calls his friends at the old mill to come get him which they did B4 the police got there. My dad and two other ppl. that we new were there. But this guy that hit bob is VERY well connected and works for Dricoll's In San Quintin and is good friends with the chief of police and he knows Los Pinos The Rodriguez's Brothers. This guy has been in trouble B4 but gets out of it. The chief of police has it out for bob and is saying all this stuff about him that is not true.. They are making this bigger than what it is.

I know of one such case recently where a tourist was involved in an accident locally, resulting in the death of a Mexican citizen. There are many different online news reports that Robert Thomas Revelle is in jail right now, being held for vehicular manslaughter and I too assumed that it was Robert who was involved in that accident.

Since our internet was out yesterday, I went into town to run some errands and started asking some questions. I was able to rather quickly determine that Robert was NOT involved in the accident that resulted in a death. In fact that accident had occurred weeks before the accident in which Robert was involved. I also learned that case had been dismissed as his family came down, immediately hired an attorney and reached a financial settlement quickly with the family of the deceased. He was released and back in the US within less than 10 days of being arrested.

Robert's case is another ball of wax.

The man who Robert hit was driving a new, expensive vehicle, owned by Driscolls - a company vehicle. As such it was fully insured and as a result of the accident, not only did the insurer have to pay for the cost of a new, replacement vehicle but also pay for all the associated emergency medical costs and care for the driver of the vehicle, an engineer who works for BerryMex - a division of Driscolls.

This legal matter is now in the hands of the insurance company, who is pursuing the case against Robert for drunk driving, causing body and property damages. They want to recuperate their losses. The vehicle was new and all together it will probably take around $50K USD more or less.

Neither Driscolls, their employee driving the company vehicle or the Rodriguez family is involved in any way in trying to keep Robert in jail.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 08:34 AM

BajaGringo - thanks for this explanation. I love my Baja trips, and would be concerned if I were ever in an accident. Of course I carry good insurance, and hope it covers anything needed. I was curious about the details of this accident, and nice of you to spend your time to help.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 08:44 AM

Thank you BajaGringo! I think we all can appreciate the facts here and are very fortunate that you are so active in the San Quintin area and communicate with the rest of the 'Baja-loving' world about events there.

Perhaps BajaGeoff can verify, but even if he had insurance in force, if Robert Thomas Revelle was drinking himself drunk and then drove... he violated the policy? Would liability still be covered?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 08:45 AM

It's common knowledge since day 1 (of Our Lord) that Mexican Insurance is a 'get out of jail FREE' card, more or less. You'd better have it. If not, and you injure or kill a National, you will be put in jail until the fines/fees are paid. It sounds like a classic case of "It will never happen to me" syndrome. Unfortunately, it did. Mexico has a NO TOLERANCE law on alcohol; you drive and have one beer it's illegal, period.

A few years ago a beach buddy rolled his truck. No other vehicles, no major injuries, just some road rash and aches. He told the cop he'd had 'a beer' and the Federale scared the bejeezus out of him, but mordida was agreed on, and he was free to go, NO TICKET because it was single-car, and he had insurance, which after much wrangling did pay off... some. We were told of the laws at that time, that if a local citizen was involved and injured, it would be jail and the insurance company would be the arbitrator.

So, no insurance, he's responsible for all, and will remain so until all costs incurred are taken care of. Lesson learned for ALL that travel Baja (or all Mexico) don't let your insurance lapse. EVER. Same goes with the tourist card (FMM) if you don't got it and need it, you're in deeper trouble. This thread is a fundraiser to help him with his fines and penalties.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Perhaps BajaGeoff can verify, but even if he had insurance in force, if Robert Thomas Revelle was drinking himself drunk and then drove... he violated the policy? Would liability still be covered?

Very good question...

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 10:16 AM

I certainly make mistakes. It's stories like this one that cause me to; 1, buy insurance, 2, plan not to drive drunk and 3, try to teach my kids the same.

It's so easy to criticize another for drunk driving, but there have been times I have been beyond the legal limit but did not; hit another car, tear the side of a cruise ship open, get into a fight, loose senses and get hurt...

And there, except by the grace of THOUGHT and LUCK, go I. It's a tragedy.

As a kid, I heard stories of people diving into shallow pools and getting paralyzed. It went in one ear and stuck, thankfully. Recently, I saw a story of a man who did that when in his twenties and with a wife and 3 kids. He was in a bed for many years and today in his 60;s he has a wheel chair with a straw for movement.

Some instantaneous choices can cause tremendous pain. BTW, the man's story was on TV because he was scammed out of $250 thousand dlrs. (all he had) by an investing consultant to ran away with the $.
Lilmikey7

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 09:35 PM

I want to thank everyone for helping but my friend who has been wrongfully incarcerated here in SQ for over 7 months is now free and at his family home in the United States. He will be going to the nearest VA hospital where he will finally get the medical attention he has desperately needed for all these months, thank God and hopefully it is not too late
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.