BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: So you want to prevent Type 2 Diabetes?? Go ahead and drink your favorite brew of Joe
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 12:48 PM
So you want to prevent Type 2 Diabetes?? Go ahead and drink your favorite brew of Joe

Coffee and benefits you need to know about. A new study in the journal Diabetologia says your morning cup of Joe may stave off type 2 Diabetes. Here is why it matters:
Dr. Sandra Fryhofer says she loves her morning coffee and that is probably why this new observational study caught her eye. And the study has appeal for both sexes. It combines three large US cohorts: 48,000 women in the Nurses' Health Study (NHS), 47,000 women in NHS II, and 27,000 men in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study. This adds up to more than 1.6 million person-years of follow-up.
Dietary assessments were done every four years, including details about coffee and tea intake. Patients were also asked to self-report a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. More than 7000 of them did.
The results? Coffee lovers, rejoice. The highest coffee consumers had the lowest diabetes risk. Those who drank three or more cups of coffee per day had a 37% lower risk for diabetes as compared to those who limited their intake to one cup per day.
Drinking more may be better. Those who increased their daily coffee intake by one-and-a-half cups had an 11% lower risk of getting diabetes as compared to those who didn't boost their java intake.
If you are worried about getting diabetes, this study suggests that you not cut back on your morning pleasure. Those who cut coffee intake by two cups per day had a 17% higher risk of developing diabetes.
In this study, one cup was just eight ounces of straight-up black, regular, caffeinated coffee -- not decaf and no lattes, no cappuccinos, and not much milk and sugar.
So what about tea? In this study, tea intake had no effect on diabetes risk. But also in this study, not that many people drank tea and not that many changed the amount of tea they did drink.
I love the bottom line of this study. Moderate coffee consumption -- that is, up to 6 eight-ounce cups per day -- may help prevent type 2 diabetes. So drink up and enjoy.
References: Bhupathiraju SN, Pan A, Manson JE, et al. Changes in coffee intake and subsequent risk of type 2 diabetes: three large cohorts of US men and women. Diabetologia. 2014;57:1346-1354. Abstract
Sidamone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 12:52 PM

My doctor was Internal Medicine, he addressed coffee once, saying they had been trying unsuccessfully for a long time to hang coffee for deleterious effects, to no avail. And he wasn't going to stop his two cups, daily. Then he died of a heart attack shortly thereafter. (obesity, apparently, I didn't hear the autopsy report) Nobody's getting out of here alive.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 12:56 PM

Yes it is proven that caffeine can aggravate cardiac conditions such as atrial fibrillation. We are just talking Diabetes here.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 04:56 PM

I love the La Negrita brand I get in Ensenada....They have beans from Veracruz,
Oaxaca and Chiapas.......

I hear the whales song
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:05 PM

Positive effects of coffee isn't something that I hear too often. Though it's not clear whether it works as a "prevention". The study was focused on people already drinking coffee, and a lot of it (6 cups a day is not "moderate", IMO). There is no way to tell whether there are any benefits of starting drinking coffee for somebody who is not drinking it. Coffee is at least as damaging to gastrointestinal tract as it is to heart.

Not much use talking about "hanging" a narcotic anyway. You either can beat the addiction or you can't.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
Not much use talking about "hanging" a narcotic anyway. You either can beat the addiction or you can't.

Caffeine is a non-narcottic it is a psychoactive substance.....

I hear the whales song
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Yes it is proven that caffeine can aggravate cardiac conditions such as atrial fibrillation. We are just talking Diabetes here.

....is it possible there's something that treats or helps prevent diabetes without aggravating other conditions?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:54 PM

Nopales

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:11 PM

Shari is right again:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/5/1264.long

Don't believe everything you think....
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 06:42 AM

Of course Micah, there are medications. But as you well know, all medications have side effects. The foxglove, from which Digoxin was derived, was a "natural" remedy for many years before turned into a tablet. Yet too much of Digoxin can be toxic and deadly. Of course eating right, avoiding excessive carbohydrates, exercising and the usual are factors most physicians recommend before prescribing. I just like to share interesting articles but don't take them to heart or look at each article as a suggestion to use exclusively for treatment.
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:

....is it possible there's something that treats or helps prevent diabetes without aggravating other conditions?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:47 AM

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but I heard some place that exercise and a healthy diet is a great remedy. Oh wait, my doctor told me that! So far it has been working for me.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:59 AM

Yes I did mention it earlier in the thread. Thank you for reinforcing the idea of preventative medicine. It is always the best way to go!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 09:27 AM

........''don't take them to heart''......haha good pun!! :lol::spingrin::smug::rolleyes:

...oh,,hadn't realized you were 'quoting' an article-wouldn't that usually include links and references to the article source rather than just the author of the study?
...side effects!?--I know all medications ,by definition, have 'effects',,but am in the opinion that an appropriate treatment doesn't need to have unwanted -side- effects!
.....to suggest coffee as good for diabetes while ignoring risks to heart and digestion would be like saying smoking reduces stress,,,,or cocaine gives you energy......while ignoring obvious & very relevant side-effects :o:O:wow:

......it seems the use of Digoxin is an interesting example of the issues involved when the pharma-medico industry takes a natural remedy and concentrates it,,,perhaps removing an important balance inherent to nature's remedies.....certainly a sad side-effect of your industry's separation from natural,simple cures.
...is Digoxin used in treatment for diabetes?

...so many things to consider as I sip my morning.....oh,,waidaminute!! :wow::rolleyes:

Quote:
Of course Micah, there are medications. But as you well know, all medications have side effects. The foxglove, from which Digoxin was derived, was a "natural" remedy for many years before turned into a tablet. Yet too much of Digoxin can be toxic and deadly. Of course eating right, avoiding excessive carbohydrates, exercising and the usual are factors most physicians recommend before prescribing. I just like to share interesting articles but don't take them to heart or look at each article as a suggestion to use exclusively for treatment.
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by micah202]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you for reinforcing the idea of preventative medicine. It is always the best way to go!

you want to prevent type 2 diabetes? best prevention is to live your life with exercise and live your life without obesity. biggest risk factor for getting the disease is obesity and sedentary lifestyle.

nothing good comes of obesity and inactivity! :light:

get off your butt!!!!! stop eating all those french fries!!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.