BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Home Depot, Ensenada...laminate countertop?
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Well who does these things in Baja

La Bodega on Reforma, a little past Cisco Tile on the same south-bound side, will fabricate Formica, granite or pre-formed laminate tops. They do nice clean work. Just be sure to bring accurate field measurements.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 11:42 PM

I went over a friend's house and they had a beautiful tile countertop. They said all I have to do is put a piece of plywood on the top of the new cabinets and then have someone cut and place tile on the top, seems like a better solution to me. At least you don't have to worry about knife marks in the countertop with a careless teenager around. I like some Talavera, is there any lead paint I need to worry about?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 05:47 AM

doctor...your friends are wrong...

plywood flexes very fast and the grout will crack

cement board is what you need...like what is used in a shower
water and moisture resistant

cementboard.jpg - 18kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
doctor...your friends are wrong...

plywood flexes very fast and the grout will crack

cement board is what you need...like what is used in a shower
water and moisture resistant

This is what I used [Durock...brand name] as underlayment for the floor...inside and out.
I used "Greenboard" sheetrock for the shower as well as around sinks.
I've never seen this used for a counter top. Always, as Richard mentioned, sealed pressboard.
For one thing, I've never seen Durock come in lengths longer than eight feet. If it does, I wouldn't want to try picking it up. It's solid concrete.
I suppose Durock would work well for a tiled surface, but for a glued laminate...I dunno. Doesn't sound right

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 06:45 AM

OK...I see where tile is being considered. Now, all they have to get beyond is the weight.....3/4 inch thickness...and eight foot limitations.
Buena suerte.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 08:39 PM

5ft by 6ft countertops in HD Ensenada? Wow. Have yet to see a base cabinet - not an "island" - that wide. HD stores NOB are full of 8ft countertops in normal 2ft width, starting from $70. Yes, some are with 45 degree cut. Easy to install, easy to replace. Looks old-ish with that lip and backsplash, yes. Will outlast many retiree owners.

+$1,800 plastic countertops look like a little ahead of price, from my wallet's point of view :) ...

I saw factories in TJ selling direct - wall cabinets, base cabinets, and sets of complete "cocinas". With laminate tops. They are still manufacturing it. Not too expensive, same price or cheaper than NOB, 'cause they are saving on low production costs. Didn't ask whether it's an "old" or "new" kind with laminate on both sides.

[Edited on 10-4-2014 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Well who does these things in Baja

La Bodega on Reforma, a little past Cisco Tile on the same south-bound side, will fabricate Formica, granite or pre-formed laminate tops. They do nice clean work. Just be sure to bring accurate field measurements.

This one?

AR GRANITO Y MARMOL
Transpeninsular ( Av. Reforma) 390
Acapulco
22890 Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

+52 646 173 9950

8:00 am – 6:00 pm
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 09:15 PM

I went to Santee Home Depot and the only store that had them in stock was the Fairmount store.6All the prefab cabinet/countertops in Rosarito Home Depots were over $600 USD and very small. I believe the countertops in Ensenada were 2 ft. by 8 ft. I am going to try the tile, the tile guy I called today said he would lay the tile for $700 pesos if I bought the tile. That sounds very reasonable.
Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
5ft by 6ft countertops in HD Ensenada? Wow. Have yet to see a counter that wide. HD stores NOB are full of 8ft countertops in normal 2ft width, starting from $70. Easy to install, easy to replace. Yes, some are with 45 degree cut.

+$1,800 plastic countertops look like a little ahead of price, from my wallet's point of view :) ...

I saw factories in TJ selling direct - wall cabinets, base cabinets, and sets of complete "cocinas". With laminate tops. They are still manufacturing it. Not too expensive, same price or cheaper than NOB, 'cause they are saving on low production costs. Didn't ask whether it's an "old" or "new" kind with laminate on both sides.

[Edited on 10-4-2014 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
I am going to try the tile, the tile guy I called today said he would lay the tile for $700 pesos if I bought the tile.

He would lay, but will it hold? Like others noted, the underlying surface should be right.

Tile counters look cool, though I myself don't fancy it. Tile is harder, yes, but old style $70 laminate will last decade(s). Grout should be sealed, and tiles do crack occasionally when you're doing something wrong on it. And cleaning it with all those grooves is kinda pain, to lazy me.

"Cool" is a subjective matter too. Those small tiles remind me public washrooms or cheap diners :)
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 09:45 PM

If you have a Lowes near you check it out . A much better selection than HD
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2014 at 05:50 AM

if you tile you NEED one of these...they are about $100

alm is right...grout gets dirty...choose a "correct" color

and it cracks...save some

and seal it

before you say yes to a $60usa install...look at the installers work...you may opt for another installer

tile saw.jpg - 12kB

our website is:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2014 at 11:57 AM

I'm going to replace a small counter soon, so this topic has been useful.

Though at this point I'm lost - what are we talking about? :)
The OP asked about 8ft laminate counter in Ensenada. HD and another place on Reforma were suggested. There are 8ft counters in Ensenada HD - unknown selection, but there are some. And Dr. went there and confirmed - there are indeed 2ft by 8ft counters there. And there are 2x8 laminate counters in Rosarito too, another poster saw them.

And there should be 2x8ft counters in HD in SD area - I'm not a californian, maybe they really stopped carrying it there, but in my area there is at least half a dozen patterns. And I "think" that 2x8 laminate counter you can carry on roof rack of any car, you only need them to help you load it. So if Ensenada and Rosarito don't have a color that you like, you can pick it up in SD, put it on your car, cover with cardboard to prevent scuffing from the rack and straps,- and go.

Am I missing something?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 12:24 AM

Yeah don't the laminates scratch much more easily than tile if you slip with a knife especially with a careless teenager?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:12 AM

I hate it when a doctor talks about "slip of the knife" : )

our website is:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.