BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2005-2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 & Prerunner REAR LEAF SPRING RECALL
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 11:33 AM
2005-2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 & Prerunner REAR LEAF SPRING RECALL

It is a voluntary recall at this point... possible leaf cracking... no problems reported... but Toyota doesn't want to wait. Saw this on Tacoma World Forums just now, and since the Tacoma is one of the most popular mid size trucks with Nomads, good to know about :

LINK: http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+tacoma+recall+se...

Recall Link

From the link:

TORRANCE, Calif., Sept. 29, 2014 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it has advised the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of plans to conduct a voluntary safety recall of approximately 690,000 Model Year 2005-2011 Tacoma 4x4 and Tacoma Pre-Runner pickup trucks.

The involved vehicles’ rear suspension system contains leaf springs that are constructed of either three or four leaves. There is a possibility that a leaf could fracture due to stress and corrosion. If this occurs and the vehicle continues to be operated, the broken leaf could move out of position and contact surrounding components, including the fuel tank. If the broken leaf contacts the fuel tank repeatedly, it could puncture the tank and cause a fuel leak. In the presence of an ignition source, this could result in a fire.

Toyota is not aware of any fires, crashes, injuries or fatalities associated with this condition.

Owners of the vehicles involved in this recall will receive a notification by first class mail. Toyota dealers will remedy the condition at no cost to the owner.

Detailed information is available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall and by calling the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.
Customer Contacts
Detailed information is available to customers at:

Toyota Customer Experience Center
1-800-331-4331
www.toyota.com/recall

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 11:38 AM

Must be a lie....Chevrolet propaganda

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 01:02 PM
Other rear spring issue

A few years ago Toyota had a TSB - Technical Service Bulletin - (TSB SU7003) for rear springs on second generation Tacomas. As I understood it at the time, Sept 2010, a TSB is significantly different from a recall in that nothing is done unless the customer complains of the specific problem. I did complain and after some number of phone calls was able to have the rear leaf factory springs replaced with new springs.

Now I guess here we go again! Thanks for the heads up David.

John M

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by John M]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 03:41 PM

Luv my Sport Trac. Fords have always been good to me.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
A few years ago Toyota had a TSB - Technical Service Bulletin - (TSB SU7003) for rear springs on second generation Tacomas. As I understood it at the time, Sept 2010, a TSB is significantly different from a recall in that nothing is done unless the customer complains of the specific problem. I did complain and after some number of phone calls was able to have the rear leaf factory springs replaced with new springs.

Now I guess here we go again! Thanks for the heads up David.

John M

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by John M]

Hi John,
I am going to guess if you had the TSB done ('Harsh Ride TSB') then those are not stock that came with the truck. My 2010 did not have too soft leafs, and did not allow bottoming, so I didn't get the TSB done.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 03:54 PM

The
One
You
Ought
To
Avoid. :cool:

I won't follow that advice, but have replaced my springs twice. First the TSB, and when they sagged, Dakars. No more problems.

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 06:30 PM

Not Toyota's fault most likely but the supplier of the springs. The analysis and understanding of your stress allowables of a certain material (steel, which we know everything about) is there. The problem most likely lies within a factory making a few bad batches of metal. Oh well.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Luv my Sport Trac. Fords have always been good to me.

Yep - love my Sport Trac as well. The Tacoma is a sweet azzed truck though!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2014 at 09:53 AM

I've got wheeler spring packs on my 04 Tacoma with the add a leaf and I've broken the main spring (drivers side) and the add a leafs (both sides at different times). Re-did the packs adding leafs and removing the overload spring, now it's a 7 leaf pack. Also taller bump stops which may have been the real reason the springs broke. Rides great off-road.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2014 at 02:58 PM

When my Tacoma was 4000 miles old, the stock suspension came off, and King Shocks and Deaver springs were added. All is good.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.