BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What is the preferred insect repellent?
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
MY ABSOLUTE FAVE:

(At the Stone Dolphin Bar & Grill)

....is it important that the lemon is 1/2 rotten!? :no::?::O:P

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 01:41 PM

Micah, that's where I carve off the 'twist' of peel... not rotten at all. And if your bartender doesn't rub the rim with the yellow rind, don't tip him/her. Notice the Greek calamata olives too.... gives a faint pink hue to a dirty martini, and very tasty at the end. Best olives are the Baja-grown, especially the ones in San Lucitas, best I've ever bought in all of Baja.

Now mind you, these don't help much with the bites and drillers, but you don't mind 'em quite as much.....:yes:

[Edited on 10-1-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 02:01 PM

......ahhhh,,,soooo.......thank-you wise Buddha:wow:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 06:12 PM

Great thread... we cover mosquitoes, foggy headlights, and... martinis (how did that happen?)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 07:17 PM
cleane headlights

So, out to the garage I went, repellant in hand. Didn't have the Cutter brand, so I tried the Deep Woods Off - no idea of the ingredients. Couple of sprays on the lenses, and on the paper towel as suggested. I'd venture to say there is a 70% improvement. I tried twice and then a third time on the remaining 30% to no avail. Still, a good result plus no mosquitoes in the garage.

John M
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Great thread... we cover mosquitoes, foggy headlights, and... martinis (how did that happen?)

Foggy headlights - I went right out after I read your thread, and WOW, 10 minutes later, they were like new. Who knew? Thanks for the tip.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
So, out to the garage I went, repellant in hand. Didn't have the Cutter brand, so I tried the Deep Woods Off - no idea of the ingredients. Couple of sprays on the lenses, and on the paper towel as suggested. I'd venture to say there is a 70% improvement. I tried twice and then a third time on the remaining 30% to no avail. Still, a good result plus no mosquitoes in the garage.

John M

Hi John,
I am trying to understand what you just said: 70% improvement (good?)... tried twice (not good?)... to no avail (bad?)??? Sorry that I don't know what you are trying to convey!

The ingredients are listed on the can... the more deet %, the better the results. I saw a video using a sock and spraying only on it (saturate it), then rub the plastic headlight cover. I would say that the Corolla's headlights are 80-90 % better and they were very foggy so that night driving was like using a candle.

The video I posted above, using a paper towel and direct spraying as well as spraying the towel looked more impressive than the video I saw. Just pick up some spray that is 60% to 95% deet... I have some Deet 100 in a hand pump spray, bought at WalMart camping section.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Foggy headlights - I went right out after I read your thread, and WOW, 10 minutes later, they were like new. Who knew? Thanks for the tip.

Amazing huh???!!! :light:

Look at the fortune they are getting for some of those headlight restoration kits, and all the work... some with a power buffer!

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 06:09 AM
For you David K

Well, you see, it was pretty late last night (for me) and I had just got finished spraying mosquito repellant repeatedly in a closed garage, and at close range, so my thought process and typing fingers lost some correlation - perhaps due to DEET.

There is a 70% improvement overall.

Remaining fogged up portion of the lenses wouldn't come clean even with two additional attempts.

That explains what I was trying to write last night.

So, for all of you reading this post, you can stop reading right here, the next paragraph is for David K ONLY!

Now, relate this, David K, to a Baja map onto which you spilled a Corona beer. You spray it and soak with OFF to remove the beer stain and 70% of the roads disappear - that's bad. Soak the map with OFF again and again and no matter how much you scrub the map, the remaining 30% of the roads are still there. That's good. Or is it?

John M
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 08:07 AM

Don't spray anything with DEET in it while standing on linoleum - it'll degrade it something awful. We sprayed ourselves in our 5th wheel and found out the hard way.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Well, you see, it was pretty late last night (for me) and I had just got finished spraying mosquito repellant repeatedly in a closed garage, and at close range, so my thought process and typing fingers lost some correlation - perhaps due to DEET.

There is a 70% improvement overall.

Remaining fogged up portion of the lenses wouldn't come clean even with two additional attempts.

That explains what I was trying to write last night.

So, for all of you reading this post, you can stop reading right here, the next paragraph is for David K ONLY!

Now, relate this, David K, to a Baja map onto which you spilled a Corona beer. You spray it and soak with OFF to remove the beer stain and 70% of the roads disappear - that's bad. Soak the map with OFF again and again and no matter how much you scrub the map, the remaining 30% of the roads are still there. That's good. Or is it?

John M

Okay John, I think I got it. Thanks! :smug:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.